Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Thank God!! I not familiar with the writer at all, work or rep wise, so this will be my first eXposure to her. I'm reserving judgement, of course, but what I've read on here has got me leery.
    There's a good chance it's a reference to Visaggio's personal beef with the "truly toxic part" of the fandom and that the book will be another outlet for her frustrations. Let's just say she is not the nicest or the most grounded comic pro around.

That said it could still be a good story if you ignore the online drama behind it.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 03-21-2018 at 04:17 AM.

The first time I read the names of the creative team, I thought they got Laura Branigan to make her comic book writing debut with this Dazzler one-shot, which would have been glori-ous!

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Thank God!! I not familiar with the writer at all, work or rep wise, so this will be my first eXposure to her. I'm reserving judgement, of course, but what I've read on here has got me leery.
    There are parts of this that amuse me...

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Marvels done fucked up. I’m about to go STAN HAM on this. Renew my allegiance with comicbookgirl19 and make Sazzler a household name!!! Soooooo excited!

Best news of the year. Heauxmygoddess I hope she’s wearing silver boot leggings and that her hair is strawberry blonde that fades into pink lowlights😭😭😭

Mama has her weave in, been working on those abs, she’s wearing a new bra that lifts and separates! Homegirl is doing well for her damn self. Even got her thot ass boy toys to play back up!you betta win miss Ali B!
    I... don't know whether if you're extremely happy or pissed off.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    There's a good chance it's a reference to Visaggio's personal beef with the "truly toxic part" of the fandom and that the book will be another outlet for her frustrations. Let's just say she is not the nicest or the most grounded comic pro around.

That said it could still be a good story if you ignore the online drama behind it.
    Well it would be fitting for Dazzler, a character long ridiculed by that same stupid portion of fandom to the point where Marvel's own male editors ate up that sexist crap and started actively rejecting writers' requests to include her in titles.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post

I... don't know whether if you're extremely happy or pissed off.
    "Marvel fucked up" "Best news of the year"

Yeah I was confused too.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well it would be fitting for Dazzler, a character long ridiculed by that same stupid portion of fandom to the point where Marvel's own male editors ate up that sexist crap and started actively rejecting writers' requests to include her in titles.
    Not sure about that (as in almost everything in that sentence seems wrong). I certainly hope Ali doesn't become too much of a self-insert and that no baseball bats are involved. I don't want to see her ruined like America.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Look. I’m a huge Dazz Stan.Marvel has been trying to shake me for years. Relegating Dazzler to titles I hate and claiming she’s box office poison was one way to lose me as a long time supporter of the franchise, he company, and comicdom in general. But whenever they give the character a chance, her books fly off the shelves, she’s recendnted as the queen of cult classic comic, and everyone has a good time. It’s like going off to hogwarts whenever they give Ali a fair shake.

I’ve been waiting to return to my Dazzler fan overload and what with 2018 looking to finally be the year they give her a real chance again, I’m down to suppprt whatever. Come on Marvel, make me yours again.✨✨

I’m down for Visaggio not playing nice and using Ali as her vented mouthpiece. It’s time and always fun When they have sweetheart Ali play dirty.
    Last edited by ohsnapulon5000; 03-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.

I’m down for Visaggio not playing nice and using Ali as her vented mouthpiece. It’s time and always fun Shem they have sweetheart Ali play dirty.
    Wait... what, who, what, where, huh?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Wait... what, who, what, where, huh?
    Don't waste your energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    Not sure about that (as in almost everything in that sentence seems wrong). I certainly hope Ali doesn't become too much of a self-insert and that no baseball bats are involved. I don't want to see her ruined like America.
    I honestly doubt Mags can do as much damage as Riveria in one issue but we'll see.

I’m down for Visaggio not playing nice and using Ali as her vented mouthpiece. It’s time and always fun Shem they have sweetheart Ali play dirty.
    And let's be honest. Nobody who actually cares for Ali is going to be offended by an Ali who is super unapologetic about her ultra super sparkly femininity. As you said my erudite one, it's time she enlightened fanboys who ridiculed her for years on end simply because she didn't cater to their own needs and tastes. I'm totally here for what Ms. Visaggio has in store for us!

Spectacular Member

maybe I'm in the minority, but I absolutely, positively do not want my favorite character to be used as a mouthpiece for someone known for accusing any criticism lobbed against them to be a product of "transphobia." Nor do I want a fun, bright character to be used for ham-fisted virtue-signaling. Ali should be fun, assertive, opinionated, free-spirited & intelligent -- if this ends up translating (by this author) as a walking SJW stereotype then I lose all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    As you said my erudite one, it's time she enlightened fanboys who ridiculed her for years on end simply because she didn't cater to their own needs and tastes.
    Wow... When was this happening? I don't think I've ever heard anyone make fun of Dazzler. She was part of the rose-colored glasses era that is 80s X-Men, where old dweebs will swear that anything between 92' and 00' sucked.
    Guild Member

Dude, EVERYONE makes fun of Ali. Being s Dazzler fan means being tough enough to take getting spat at by other fans and industry big wigs who think the character isn’t cool enough because she’s hyper feminine. Fuck that. I’m here to see Dazzler bash back!

The character, because of her meta ability to be used as a signifier of an artists dilemma, often ends up being the mouthpiece of a writers dwsign. It’s the superimposition of that theme and her rebellion from it,that has always been part of her major mythos. I’m just glad a woman with a chip on their shoulder is writing the character instead of another man with something to prove and an ancient axe to grind against the character or a fanboy with no direction. Honestly she hasn’t been written super well since K. Thompson who didn’t nail Ali’s voice but gave her a lot of fun appearances or the writer from Wolverine: the best there is who absolutely nailed her voice, personality, style etc.

Plus if u don’t see how Dazzler is a metaphor for trans femininity, u just do not know the character at all. Go visaggio go.