Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Have you read Scalped?
    I haven't yet, but after reading this book, I plan to.

Vhoorlian

This issue sets a nice foundation for the rest of the series. It wasn't action-packed, but first issues usually aren't. I like the mystery it builds around Coach Boss and how the father was involved. The art looks great and the exaggerated detail is a great way to mirror a story about rough people. The last sequence, with him chopping down the tree and the flash-backs was so powerful and well done--that sequence made the issue for me.

I have the same feeling reading this as I had reading Scalped. Bring it on Aaron, you da fuckin man.

The art isn't just great it's clever as hell. Really slick introduction to the characters, environment, and story.
    I'd been on the fence about finding time to read Scalped but I guess I just got heaved off the fence.

All-New Member

I liked it, the art was cool, story has kinda of a Walking Tall kinda vibe to it but who knows if it will stick to it. I'm in for the next few issues

Loved this. Felt very real. Good pacing in the panel layouts as well. I'm in!
    Current top 5: She-Hulk, Daredevil, Velvet, Lazarus, Adventures of Superman

So it took a while for me to get around to this one, but WOW!

There's something very mythic—and I mean like Greek gods and heroes—in the way Aaron writes Craw County. As I mention in a review for the issue (here), there are beasts and heroes and very little to distinguish the two. And between the high school football coach, who lords over Craw County as drug kingpin and crime boss, and the long-dead but somehow immortal memory of Sheriff Bertrand Tubb, Craw County seems as populated by ethereal shadow-figures as flesh-and-blood human beings. It's a landscape that's pregnant with metaphor and history. This is Aaron and Latour's eloquent and equally dissonant ode to Southern poetry and Southern violence and the uncomfortably thin veil between them.

Love it.

All-New Member

Loved this first issue definitely looking forward to more coming down the pipe. As someone from the South I thought it was funny how they hit on the setting of small town. Obviously they played it up (as they should have) but I loved it. Very similar to the town my families from so I really enjoyed the feel especially in the diner scene, spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    While Aaron was no slouch on the story side, Latour was the one of The Two Jasons which *really* blew my hair back this time.

All goes this well, I'll be hear to the end.
    If you liked Jason Latour's work, you should look at his work on Sledgehammer 44. That's a Dark Horse Hellboy-verse miniseries. The first part was a 2 issue series, and then there was a 3 issue follow up. I'm hoping they put it into a trade so I can have the whole thing together.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Absolutely loved it. Art complemented the story perfectly and had me wanting more as soon as I'd hit the last page.

Every time I think about this series, I'm thinking of a comic book version of True Detective. Glad one of the creators is a homeboy from North Carolina , even though he seems to have lived in the most Southern part of NC. It really shows these guys are good ole southern boys.

Issue 2 come out next week, iirc, and I can't wait. Scalped, the other series by Aaron, looks really interesting, and I have a soft spot for westerns.

Just pre-ordered issue 2!!!! Loved the first issue ... got a really good feeling about this series!!!

All-New Member

Issue 2 coming out on Wednesday! Looking forward to seeing where he goes with it. The preview for issue 3 said there will be a face to face with coach boss so I am not sure where they will go with issue 2, I guess just some sort of set up but I am looking forward to it nonetheless.

All-New Member

My favorite thing I'm currently reading. Just got a lot of attitude to it. Love the colors too. How long is it going to run for? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHaydock View Post
    My favorite thing I'm currently reading. Just got a lot of attitude to it. Love the colors too. How long is it going to run for? Anyone know?
    It's an ongoing, so as long as possible I guess. 4th issue wraps up first arc and issue 5 and 6 are coming out in October and November respectively. I am worried about the longevity of it though. They already have to take a month break between #3 and #4 and now Aaron is going to be writing the new female Thor storyline with Latour on other heavy projects as well, I'm worried it will get pushed to the back burner.
    Last edited by ysemaj; 09-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.