Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Ying Ko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,100

    Default So why isn't John Byrne drawing ROM for IDW?

    I've been reading through IDW's new attempt at ROM and finding it seriously lacking.

    John Byrne's been working for IDW on and off since 2008. You'd think it's a no-brainer to put him on this book, as he already drew some of the issues and covers for the original Marvel run.

    I mean, they already brought back Sal Buscema for some covers so... why not?

  2. #2

    Default

    Maybe they've asked him and he declined. He never showed buch affection for ROM when the topic came up on his Byrne Robotics forum. He said he drew the covers as a favour for the editor, and I imagine the main reason he inked ROM #74 was because it was pencilled by one of his idols, Steve Ditko.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Ying Ko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    Maybe they've asked him and he declined. He never showed buch affection for ROM when the topic came up on his Byrne Robotics forum. He said he drew the covers as a favour for the editor, and I imagine the main reason he inked ROM #74 was because it was pencilled by one of his idols, Steve Ditko.
    Could be.

    I wouldn't mind Byrne taking a shot at the Hasbroverse though... Rom, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts... The books couldn't be any worse than they are now.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Could be.

    I wouldn't mind Byrne taking a shot at the Hasbroverse though... Rom, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts... The books couldn't be any worse than they are now.
    I've seen Byrne draw The Transformers he would be my last choice.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I've seen Byrne draw The Transformers he would be my last choice.
    When did Byrne draw the Transformers?

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    When did Byrne draw the Transformers?
    I found these two pieces just now...:





    The first one’s a little heavy on the inking for m taste, but not bad.

    The second one I really like; the characters are bright and smooth and jump out at me.

  7. #7
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    54

    Default

    He prefers star trek maybe.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by son_ofgolem View Post
    He prefers star trek maybe.
    His Star Trek – Leonard McCoy, Frontier Doctor book was pretty darn good!


  9. #9
    Mighty Member Ying Ko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I've seen Byrne draw The Transformers he would be my last choice.
    Why?

    I grew up with Byrne. The guy is super talented.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I found these two pieces just now...:





    The first one’s a little heavy on the inking for m taste, but not bad.

    The second one I really like; the characters are bright and smooth and jump out at me.
    I think, with a few exceptions, Byrne has tended to be one of his own worst inkers. The second image is in the stlye of the covers he pencilled in 1985 for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe v2. Byrne drew linking images for the first 11 issues before falling out with Jim Shooter and departing for DC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •