Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default 2000 AD & Judge Dredd: The Drokkin' Mega-Thread

Let's have a general thread to discuss this british comic and it's characters.

Who's tracking down the free comic book day prog tomorrow? I know I'll be, I have to go into London because my LCS won't be getting it in.

I've also been reading The collected Case Files of Judge Dredd, starting from the beginning. I love it. Gotta love it's cheesiness.

Favourite covers, people?

My first prog, a pretty new reader.
    You've never seen Judge Dredd and THE LAW at the same time. Just saying.

Im a reader, but am currently 1 year behind on the Prog. Im just waiting for some free time to binge read.

Currently reading Judge Dredd Case Files 3 and Zombo, which is glorious!

Been reading the old rogue troopers very good enjoying him taking out the Norts. Next up is the ABC Warriors hardcover coming out soon then going back and reading Strontium Dog.

2000 AD have produced some truly amazing comics I really wish they would get bigger in America and release more of the backlog over here so I can stop paying for shipping from the UK

What Case File are you on?

All-New Member Judge-Sergeant-Marron's Avatar

I'm around two months behind with the progs so can't really talk much about it aside from saying that I bloody love Titan so far! Flint's artwork has never been better.

Working my way through some older 2000AD material though, such as Wagner's Banzai Battalion. Odd but lovable concept, like army men figures going around Mega-City One doing the Judge's work! Helped by some classic Cam Kennedy art amongst others.

Finished the second Sinister Dexter collection before that, which was just okay. I find it hard to get into the series - a lot of the shorter stories fall flat, and there's only so many homáges you can take. And it feels like a lot of the themes and concepts have already been expanded upon in Judge Dredd.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

I'm an American and I've been reading 2000 AD since 2004. I've been 100% digital Progs since Prog 2013. And I do not miss the hassle of late shipped Progs, missing Progs, and inflated import pricing. New Prog in my mitts on Wednesday every week. Like clockwork. Zarjaz.

I won't be getting the Free Comic Day Prog because Tharg refuses to release it digitally. And the last three years I've tried to get print copies they've never arrived at my local shop. Or anywhere. But I don't worry too much about it.

I'm an American who discovered Dredd around 1983 or so. Had a hardcover of the Bolland Dredd that feel apart, but love Dredd. Really glad IDW is reprinting. Previous Sal Q / Fleetway / Quality were nearly impossible to find and poor quality.

Never gotten into any other of the 2000AD line. Tried Rogue Trooper way back and ABC Warriors but they just didn't grab me, despite the huge talent pool 2000AD has had.

Any suggestions for some good Slaine trades to grab?

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Try as I might Slaine has always eluded me in terms of appeal. I'm not the biggest Pat Mills fan, but his sci-fi stuff is typically interesting is some fashion. But not Slaine. I've tried the modern stuff, the earliest stuff, the stuff that everyone remembers. It's just so bloody... Obtuse.

That said, everyone is going to say 'The Horned God'. So try there.

Managed to acquire the 2000AD special from Free Comic Book Day yesterday.

I knew my LCS wasn't getting them in so I went out into London, managed to get mine from Orbital. Looking forwards to reading it soon.
    You've never seen Judge Dredd and THE LAW at the same time. Just saying.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

The best of Slaine, in my opinion, is The Horned God, Warrior's Dawn, Slaine the King, and The Books of Invasion. All of it is worth reading, though, although some of the '90s stuff gets a little iffy (with mostly brilliant art) and the Time Killer stories add a lot of sci-fi and Lovecraftian elements to the book, which may sound awesome but gets very convoluted and goofy at times.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
    Favourite covers, people?
    Hard to pick from so many great covers over the years (and a few naff ones). If there's one cover I had to pick over all others, then I'd go with this one, simply because it really sums up just how many great characters have appeared in 2000AD over the years

Here's what the full image looks like, minus the text, and including what would have been the back cover

Simply gorgeous.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

That is a great cover. My only complaint is that I don't like Weston's depiction of Gene the Hackman-- makes him seem far more menacing that Elson's depiction, although I guess is that Gene is truly supposed to be menacing. (Elson gives him such a friendly dog look that belies his capability for violence.) I love that Ro-Jaws is smacking Tharg in the face-- we know who the true star is! That's a great Kano, too.

Uhm... for these of us that want to start reading 2000AD titles, what would you suggest? I've only read the original Rogue Trooper series, which I enjoyed despite that long stretched (don't know if that's the word in English) ending part. I know there were already lists for this in the old forums, so I'm not asking for descriptions or anything again. Just names; I'll check any recommendation.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I'd suggest waiting for the current storyline, A Simple Killing. It's has it ups and downs, but the art is gore-geous and it's kicking into high gear. So far, it's up there as a favorite Slaine story for me.

Recommend: The Horned God, Slaine the King and leave it at that. Some other stuff mentioned lost me and Books of Invasions > Langley's a brilliant artist, but I prefer a mix of traditional art and the digital (as in the Slaine Book of Scars stories he did last year.) The digital alone loses a lot of the dynamic and action.

And @Loki that celebratory cover is spot on.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

There's a terrific 2000AD covers blog, the fellow who runs it often gets break downs from the artists etc. He updates it at least once a week.

I do not have a favorite cover since I only started reading 2000AD regularly recently, but I'm looking forward to seeing what people mention as their favorite.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy