Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

the titan volume just came out (in america) and i knocked it out in one sitting. typically great dredd!

https://smile.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd...ds=dredd+titan

anyone know what the next collected edition will be and when?

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    anyone know what the next collected edition will be and when?
    There's no single word about it at 2000AD forum, but to be honest the only Dredd story that could be collected (cuz of the length and importance) is recent (and ongoing) Michael Caroll run about trouble with Brit-Cit and Texas.

Ofcourse there's a chance for Tainted/Dreams Of The Deadworld collected edition, you know, cuz Dark Judges.

Spectacular Member

I think Judge Dredd is a great character but there's so much more to 2000AD than Dredd & his universe (personally I find Judge Anderson & the Dark Judges far more interesting than Dredd himself). I mean 2000AD has Strontium Dog, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Nemesis the Warlock (which ended back in the 90's), Aquila and a bunch of other titles that escape me at the moment. Dredd is great but 2000AD has so much to offer outside of it.
    DC Comics, Cthulhu Mythos, Michael Moorcock, 2000AD & Warhammer 40k fanboy

/\ Id add Nikolai Dante and Zombo to that for best of recent years.
    For all its faults I enjoy Grey Area too.

Im waaaay behind on the Prog atm. Got about a years worth of material to catch up on.

Cant wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Savant View Post
    I think Judge Dredd is a great character but there's so much more to 2000AD than Dredd & his universe (personally I find Judge Anderson & the Dark Judges far more interesting than Dredd himself). I mean 2000AD has Strontium Dog, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Nemesis the Warlock (which ended back in the 90's), Aquila and a bunch of other titles that escape me at the moment. Dredd is great but 2000AD has so much to offer outside of it.
    Nemesis looks to be getting a new story in prog 2000 done by Mills and O'Neill, but yes they have a lot of good characters.

hadron

Hi!

I always wished there was a bit more movie or animation JD things out there, so I made a short 'fan film'. Well, almost finished, here :

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gihCro98Ozw

RIJD_001.jpg
    RIJD_002.jpg
    RIJD_003.jpg

Spectacular Member

Wow, this thread has been pretty quiet. I mean 2000AD just released their 2000th issue, figured somebody would've posted. I guess I'm the only hardcore 2000AD fanboy on these boards & I'm not even British either. I just get this feeling that, outside of Philip K. Dick, British writers just write sci-fi more creatively than Americans. Anyway I'm a huge DC fan but when I'm tired of reading the few superhero titles, 2KAD is the first indie publisher I check out.
    DC Comics, Cthulhu Mythos, Michael Moorcock, 2000AD & Warhammer 40k fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Savant View Post
    Wow, this thread has been pretty quiet. I mean 2000AD just released their 2000th issue, figured somebody would've posted. I guess I'm the only hardcore 2000AD fanboy on these boards & I'm not even British either. I just get this feeling that, outside of Philip K. Dick, British writers just write sci-fi more creatively than Americans. Anyway I'm a huge DC fan but when I'm tired of reading the few superhero titles, 2KAD is the first indie publisher I check out.
    Wel I do not read them digitally and usually at least a month behind by the time the previous months book arrive. Read a ton of 2000 AD and a lot of trades, but weekly always behind. I guess they qualify as indie, but I never think of them that way. If you are new to indie comics you really need to explore Image comics also they have so many good books already finished and also running monthly.

Fantastic Member

Hi guys! I am thinking of starting reading Judge Dredd comics and I thought that this would be the right place to ask for help. After a little research, I found that there is also a Judge Andersson series. So my question is, what is a good jumping on point for these? Are these comics colored on not? Also, can I get Judge Andersson books, without reading Judge Dredd? Are the books similar to the last film? Many thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Hi guys! I am thinking of starting reading Judge Dredd comics and I thought that this would be the right place to ask for help. After a little research, I found that there is also a Judge Andersson series. So my question is, what is a good jumping on point for these? Are these comics colored on not? Also, can I get Judge Andersson books, without reading Judge Dredd? Are the books similar to the last film? Many thanks in advance!
    That's a bunch of different questions with a bunch of different answers, so in order:

1) The world of Judge Dredd is usually fixed enough to be explained in a paragraph of blurb - it's the future, post-nuclear war, walled-up overpopulated Mega City One, crime everywhere, totalitarian authority represented by judges etc. - but in recent years the status quo has been shaken up a bit. Luckily most of the big stuff has since been collected in trade paperback, and the recommended reading goes like this:
    - Origins: Does what it says. The definitive history of Dredd's world, how everything went wrong and where the Justice Department sprung from, told in flashback while Dredd and an accompanying squad go on an important search outside the city walls. The flashbacks are important but the stuff in the present becomes relevant too.
    - Tour of Duty: The Backlash and Mega-City Justice: In that order. A series of tales spinning directly out of Origins, where an attempt to soften the tyrannical views on mutants in Mega-City One leads to drastic shake-ups and corruption within the department.
    - Day of Chaos: The Fourth Faction and Endgame: The big one. A mass terrorist action against Mega-City One, long-gestating revenge for war crimes committed decades earlier. The damage caused to the city and to Justice Department itself have yet to be repaired, and may never be at this rate.

There's been a lot of stories since but no real game-changers, so once you've gone through all that - and it's not really as much as it looks - you can just hop into the weekly 2000AD and/or monthly Megazine wherever you want. (I might also recommend seeking out The Complete Case Files vol. 5 for the full 'Apocalypse War' story, which 'Day of Chaos' is kind of a belated sequel to, but it's not super necessary)

2) All those trade collections I linked to are printed in full colour. Some 2000AD artists choose to leave their work in black & white for artistic reasons, but those artists tend to work on different series than Dredd. Also, if you're planning on going through the Complete Case Files collections, the earlier volumes are printed without colour. From vol. 12 onwards, they're in colour. (there are 27 volumes to date, I think)

3) Yes! Anderson Psi-Division is its own deal, and is collected through The Psi-Files volumes, 5 to date. Again, the earlier stories are printed without colour, while the more recent with.

4) Err...there's no easy answer here. Fact is, Judge Dredd stories can be very different from one another in tone, style and content. So some stories are similar to the Dredd movie, while many others are as far away from it as you can imagine while still circling around a fascist policeman with a strong chin. If you are especially keen on sticking close to the film there have been a few comics that take place within that continuity (and thus are heavily influenced by the movie's style), the first couple of which are collected in Dredd: Urban Warfare. There may be others released in future - just watch for the familiar title font.

Hope this helps!
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Some great suggestions above, if color is key for you IDW did coloring of Apocalypse War and Judge Death in the Judge Dredd Classics. Both are great Judge Dredd stories that are found in casefiles 5. If you go modern day suggestions, you also will want to pick up America, but the ones suggested are a great starting point.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    That's a bunch of different questions with a bunch of different answers, so in order:

1) The world of Judge Dredd is usually fixed enough to be explained in a paragraph of blurb - it's the future, post-nuclear war, walled-up overpopulated Mega City One, crime everywhere, totalitarian authority represented by judges etc. - but in recent years the status quo has been shaken up a bit. Luckily most of the big stuff has since been collected in trade paperback, and the recommended reading goes like this:
    - Origins: Does what it says. The definitive history of Dredd's world, how everything went wrong and where the Justice Department sprung from, told in flashback while Dredd and an accompanying squad go on an important search outside the city walls. The flashbacks are important but the stuff in the present becomes relevant too.
    - Tour of Duty: The Backlash and Mega-City Justice: In that order. A series of tales spinning directly out of Origins, where an attempt to soften the tyrannical views on mutants in Mega-City One leads to drastic shake-ups and corruption within the department.
    - Day of Chaos: The Fourth Faction and Endgame: The big one. A mass terrorist action against Mega-City One, long-gestating revenge for war crimes committed decades earlier. The damage caused to the city and to Justice Department itself have yet to be repaired, and may never be at this rate.

There's been a lot of stories since but no real game-changers, so once you've gone through all that - and it's not really as much as it looks - you can just hop into the weekly 2000AD and/or monthly Megazine wherever you want. (I might also recommend seeking out The Complete Case Files vol. 5 for the full 'Apocalypse War' story, which 'Day of Chaos' is kind of a belated sequel to, but it's not super necessary)

2) All those trade collections I linked to are printed in full colour. Some 2000AD artists choose to leave their work in black & white for artistic reasons, but those artists tend to work on different series than Dredd. Also, if you're planning on going through the Complete Case Files collections, the earlier volumes are printed without colour. From vol. 12 onwards, they're in colour. (there are 27 volumes to date, I think)

3) Yes! Anderson Psi-Division is its own deal, and is collected through The Psi-Files volumes, 5 to date. Again, the earlier stories are printed without colour, while the more recent with.

4) Err...there's no easy answer here. Fact is, Judge Dredd stories can be very different from one another in tone, style and content. So some stories are similar to the Dredd movie, while many others are as far away from it as you can imagine while still circling around a fascist policeman with a strong chin. If you are especially keen on sticking close to the film there have been a few comics that take place within that continuity (and thus are heavily influenced by the movie's style), the first couple of which are collected in Dredd: Urban Warfare. There may be others released in future - just watch for the familiar title font.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Some great suggestions above, if color is key for you IDW did coloring of Apocalypse War and Judge Death in the Judge Dredd Classics. Both are great Judge Dredd stories that are found in casefiles 5. If you go modern day suggestions, you also will want to pick up America, but the ones suggested are a great starting point.
    Thanks guys! You've been most helpful. I though that casefiles were the only collections. Are there any other trades?

I don't think I'll check the IDW stuff apart from the coloured versions of the original stories. The 2000AD stuff seem more original to me, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Thanks guys! You've been most helpful. I though that casefiles were the only collections. Are there any other trades?

I don't think I'll check the IDW stuff apart from the coloured versions of the original stories. The 2000AD stuff seem more original to me, if that makes sense.
    Yeah I am not a fan of the IDW stuff, outside of those 2 collections I mentioned. They do have some other newer trades that are not casefiles, but you can find trades that are not casefile related on ebay and amazon. They have the Complete PJ Maybe Collection (No longer complete), Mean Machine, Judge Death has a couple trades based around his appearances. America is a great Dredd trade, but love the casefiles great way to collect Dredd, they are about half way through the series with the last casebook.

Fantastic Member

Ok, final question (for now). Are the stories suggested above included in the casefiles collections?

Mostly everything gets collected in the Case Files.

Though iirc America isnt. Not sure if theres a few others.
    More recent stuff like Days of Chaos hasnt been collected in the Case Files yet as they simply havnt caught up that far.