Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hard to pick from so many great covers over the years (and a few naff ones). If there's one cover I had to pick over all others, then I'd go with this one, simply because it really sums up just how many great characters have appeared in 2000AD over the years

Here's what the full image looks like, minus the text, and including what would have been the back cover

Simply gorgeous.
    I feel like a kid discovering DC & Marvel and only knowing a few and guessing and knowing nothing about the rest, but dang ! That sure looks enticing.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Uhm... for these of us that want to start reading 2000AD titles, what would you suggest? I've only read the original Rogue Trooper series, which I enjoyed despite that long stretched (don't know if that's the word in English) ending part. I know there were already lists for this in the old forums, so I'm not asking for descriptions or anything again. Just names; I'll check any recommendation.
    It depends what kind of stuff you are into. 2000AD covers a huge range of genres, albeit all with some kind of SF or fantasy twist.
    Superheroes? Check out Zenith, which has been long out of print due to copyright issues, but which is finally getting new TPB releases later this year.
    Horror? Zombo for a somewhat humerous take, Fiends of the Eastern Front for vampires in World War II, Defoe, Stone Island or Absalom.
    Future war? Try Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Bad Company or The VCs.
    Not so future war? Invasion and its sequel, Savage.
    Humour? There's DR and Quinch (two alien delinquents, by Alan Moore and Alan Davis), Ace Trucking (space truckers), Robo-Hunter or Abelard Snazz.
    Fantasy? Slaine, Red Seas, Aquilla, Stickleback.
    More general SF? Ballad of Halo Jones, Indigo Prime, Nemesis the Warlock.
    Not to mention the mainstay series Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd. And there's plenty of others.

Having run 35 years, there's obviously some weaker series too, and some of the long running good series have had patches of poor stories. But there's a heck of a lot of good stuff, and a vast percentage is available in collected editions for reasonable prices.

Just loaded up on Slaine got Warrior's Dawn, Time Killer, Slaine the King, and the horned god. I also grabbed all 3 volumes of The Complete Nemesis the Warlock, also grabbed some robo hunter. Finished getting most of the classic stuff it means next up is Bad Company and Zombo, a lot of really good books by 2000 AD.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Just loaded up on Slaine got Warrior's Dawn, Time Killer, Slaine the King, and the horned god. I also grabbed all 3 volumes of The Complete Nemesis the Warlock, also grabbed some robo hunter. Finished getting most of the classic stuff it means next up is Bad Company and Zombo, a lot of really good books by 2000 AD.
    Nemesis is three quarters brilliant. It definitely loses steam as it goes on.

Nikolai Dante is the big one you definitely want to check out. I think it's 2000AD's best overall series. (Slightly ahead of The Button Man.)

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    I feel like a kid discovering DC & Marvel and only knowing a few and guessing and knowing nothing about the rest, but dang ! That sure looks enticing.
    I was actually pleased that I knew almost everyone on the cover. No small feat for an American.

My new idea for a movie to be made by a very rich production company that wants to commit suicide in the most thrilltastic way possible:

2000AD - The Movie

You guys have seen Cloud Atlas, right? It'd be a film like that so but with 2000AD characters such as Judge Dredd, ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog and maybe one or two others.

Judge Dredd would follow on from Dredd, perhaps in a story based on 'America'. Either that or bring in Judge Death.

A big three hour epic reminiscent of reading Progs in one go.
    You've never seen Judge Dredd and THE LAW at the same time. Just saying.

Zenith Phase I and Phase II hardcovers can be pre-ordered from 2000 AD online store, I grabbed the Complete edition last year they did a great job with it.

Any one grab the new ABC Warriors Hardcover it is very nice looking book excited to see it get hardcover treatment, they also printed the Solo Missions trade a few months back that has the Alan Moore and Steve Dillon story included. With another hardcover coming in the fall looks to be a good year if you are an ABC Warriors fan.

Has anyone submitted anything for 2000AD's Future Shocks?

I'm going to write up an idea. Hopefully I'll send at least one in every month, assuming I've got a good enough story.

How often do they print Future Shocks?

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Hawkguy > just suggestions here: I take you've read their submission guidelines? It might be wise to join their official forum and/or social media to get an idea of how often they take Future Shocks.

To answer your question, I have a ways to go yet before I submit anything. I'm still getting a feel for 2000AD and their stories/storytelling.

On a related note, I picked up my first ever hard copy of 2000AD. Local Magazine store is about 2-3 issues behind so I grabbed issue 1879. It was nice to be able to finally own one of these in hard copy. I might order the July-August packs from my LCS because I see there's some kind of viking story going on during July and August. Cool to see the fantasy genre being represented outside of Slaine.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Ah, 2000AD. I barely know where I should start getting into these stories and characters. I do like Judge Dredd, saw the recent film and read a little of the IDW series (I'm also really happy about the Judge Anderson series), so there's always that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Hawkguy > just suggestions here: I take you've read their submission guidelines? It might be wise to join their official forum and/or social media to get an idea of how often they take Future Shocks.

To answer your question, I have a ways to go yet before I submit anything. I'm still getting a feel for 2000AD and their stories/storytelling.
    I've read their submission guidelines, yes. It doesn't seem to say if they're ever not accepting Future Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Ah, 2000AD. I barely know where I should start getting into these stories and characters. I do like Judge Dredd, saw the recent film and read a little of the IDW series (I'm also really happy about the Judge Anderson series), so there's always that.
    I honestly recommend picking up a Prog. This Wednesday has a standalone one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
    I've read their submission guidelines, yes. It doesn't seem to say if they're ever not accepting Future Shocks.

I honestly recommend picking up a Prog. This Wednesday has a standalone one.
    I've investigated the official 2000AD forums for Future Shock submissions and responses from the editorial can take anywhere from three weeks to over two years (given those responses.) Here's a link to one such thread.

All I can say is keep submitting. 2000AD seems to be one of the most friendly for new writers and I'm sure they're going through mountains of submissions.

I'm a new reader too, think I'll continue with my digital trial once this Slaine arc is over. The upcoming Viking story Black Shuck looks like it could be a good replacement for Slaine and Indigo Prime has me scratching my head in a good way.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 05-26-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks for that.

I'm definitely submitting something for the experience - working at something to make it as great as possible and getting it viewed is worth doing if only for practise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
    Thanks for that.

I'm definitely submitting something for the experience - working at something to make it as great as possible and getting it viewed is worth doing if only for practise.
    It was super helpful to see some of those response wait times and inspiring to see many continuing to resubmit. I wish you good luck.