Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Yeah. He's quite a charmer. It's fascinating how well he fit into both ToD and DoC, especially with the dark judges in a flask moment haha.

Really feels like Origins, ToD, DoC and Dark Justice will come together in a similar way as Cursed earth/Day the law died and Block Mania/Apocalypse war did.

The time bomb trick never grows old. It alone should'v warranted a couple of Strontium dog movies by now. Can't understand why for example Jean-Pierre Jeunet or Terri Gilliam haven't picked it up yet. Would be perfect.

At least Edgar Wright gave it a mention on twitter, that out of the 2000AD stuff he'd adapt SD if he got a shot. Wouldn't mind if he and Simon Pegg got to do it. Portrait of a mutant, Rage and Blood moon/Life and death would make one epic trilogy.

Really wonder if Johnny pulled it through after L&D, if there'll be more. I wouldn't mind if it did, but also if it didn't. The open ending fits Johnny's tragedy well, similar to the crocodile ending in Button man: Killer killer.

It is to bad they never got the ball rolling on Strontium Dog TV show, especially with Wagner being involved with the script but least we still got the story he came up with. Sadly the only movies coming will be Dredd and until that is a big hit they will not move on any other properties. Least we finally got a good Dredd movie just did not make any money, but I want Halo Jones, ABC Warriors, Johnny and Wulf, or Slaine be nice to get some of the longer running series onto a movie. Those or just give me Zenith in some other form of media Zenith is amazing so glad they are getting it back into print so people can finally read it.

Mighty Member

DREDD has done quite allright in BD and DVD-sales. Quite a lot of it thanks to campaigns, but the buzz haven't died down since it was released with plenty of articles of why a sequel is needed and how it sold out at amazon. But even if there isn't a second movie, the one I got is superb. I more or less view it as an origin for Anderson.

I think the success of Guardians of the galaxy could open up for more wild sci fi, for example/preferably Strontium dog. The tragedy of Johnny's war hero/criminal and son of a "Hitler" is something I think have some serious potential to be a hit.

Btw Zenith. Haven't read it. I'm a big fan of Morrison's Doom Patrol and Flex Mentallo, and I also quite like his Batman (even if I probably find it more fascinating than actually good.). Think I'd dig Zenith?

Yeah if you like Morrison you should like it, you see a lot of concepts that he would use later on. Plus Steve Yeowell on art is just amazing some great black and white work and then phase 4 is full color. He also does his own Crisis of Infinite Earth The best thing about it is the Lovecraft influence on the book very much takes from the Cthulhu Mythos. Some did not like the ending I enjoyed it but it really is very much a Grant Morrison ending that makes you want to go back and read it again.

I always see Karl Urban pushing for the sequel it would be great to get it. Have you checked out the sequel to it that they did in comic form? It is Underbelly and is actually getting a 3rd printing next month but the Uprise story running in the megazine is a follow up to that I have enjoyed both and would suggest grabbing Underbelly because it sells out fast when it goes on sale. I believe Underbelly started in megazine 340ish but great read.

http://shop.2000adonline.com/product...lly_reprint_bw

Mighty Member

I'v eyed the Wolfman and John's Crisis books and tried my best (tried 2-3 times by now) with Morrison's (also seven soldiers). It's not my favourite, but it's an interesting story. Figures I'll give Zenith a look later on then!

I'm also reading his "Annihilator". Supposed to be the darkest thing he's ever written.

Now worries. I am reading both the meg and the prog. And I quite liked underbelly. I'm currently waiting for Uprise to finish, so I can read it from start to end. I usually do that with stories in meg (Ordinary was a hard BUT rewarding one ).

Btw. UNDERbelly and UPrise, collected as URBAN (as in Karl perhaps?) warfare TPB. Some wordplay huh, hehe.

Currently reading Stickleback. Good stuff.
    BB

Love both Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis and now Multiversity is a follow up on Final Crisis ideas. Zenith Phase 3 is a big Crisis like story line about a multi-dimensional war. Did you enjoy his Dredd he did with Millar? I enjoyed it was not near the Wagner or Grant stuff but they do a a good job, feel the same about Ennis just kinda second-tier Dredd. Annihilator was good first issue and love Frazer Irving's art work.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Currently reading Stickleback. Good stuff.
    Totally is. I wonder if the current story is the last one. Quite feels like it. Wonder what the deal with Stickleback really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Love both Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis and now Multiversity is a follow up on Final Crisis ideas. Zenith Phase 3 is a big Crisis like story line about a multi-dimensional war. Did you enjoy his Dredd he did with Millar? I enjoyed it was not near the Wagner or Grant stuff but they do a a good job, feel the same about Ennis just kinda second-tier Dredd. Annihilator was good first issue and love Frazer Irving's art work.
    Yeah, I'm quite interested in Multiversity thanks to both Seven soldiers (which I'm quite often finding myself thinking about buying as the two collected ones.) and Final crisis (which I'll buy if I'd buy Morrison's Batman.). I'v read both and I'm intrigued by the world building. While not Jack Kirby quality it definitely is Jack Kirby territory, not only because it's called "5th world" :P

Just a shame I'm not as interested in it as much as I'd like to and KNOW the multiple realities-thing to be. I'm hoping that Multiversity can change that.

Annihilator feels very promising. Reminds me of Flex Mentallo a bit! Which is a good thing!

I thought the Dredd of his and Millar is a bit too mean actually. While I love Dredd being brutal, there also needs to be some heart in there, even if a broken one. Just look at America p.1-2, Origins or Day of chaos. John Wagner is capable of such like no one else But that said, Rob Williams is getting closer and closer to such writing. Especially Titan and Man comes around.

Btw his (Rob's) Ordinary (that ran in the MEG) tore me up in the last panels, where the main character hugs the wheelchair lady... Woah.
    Last edited by borntohula; 09-28-2014 at 09:09 AM.

I feel he is one of the few people outside of Kirby that know how to use the new gods properly. His Batman is beautiful he does such amazing work with Bruce, Dick, and Damian. The Black Glove, RIP, and Batman and Robin are some of the best Batman stories.

Finally caught up on the MEG I had just read Underbelly but finally read Ordinary and it was really good I will be grabbing the trade in November. Not a big fan of the Anderson story but like you said Wagner will use her correctly, but was surprised normally Grant does great work in the Dredd world.

Mighty Member

While brief, I think Azzarello and Chiang did a good job in Wonder Woman, and I'm hoping there's more to the new/old gods than Diana and Orion before the series ends.

But about Morrison's "5th world", I like how the antilife equation more or less came in the form of negativity. I also hope his Batman sees some sort of omnibus treatment someday. I'm holding out on it much thanks to the "fixed" pages in the Batman inc absolute edition.

When I think Anderson, I'm thinking Judge Death, Judge Death lives, Apocalypse war, Necropolis and soon probably also Dark justice. Essentially avoiding the patricide, space soul search, Orlok-romance and coma stuff. Just sassy Cass vs the dark judges, something that I think will end in Dark justice !!!

I think Grant writing Dredd-verse on his own (essentially from around Oz and forward) lacks much of the humor and heart Wagner has in his writing. Judge Goon beating up Rodney Ding -IMO- feels a bit flat when compared to America Jara and Benny Beeny.

I wonder if Wagner will play a bit upon the mutant stuff in Tour of duty (Love that story.) in Dark justice. Being that the Dredd film did. Would fit her character a bit if she took notice to Dredd's work with and ties (trough the Fargos) to mutants.

Btw. Great interview with Wagner hera. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55861

A really cool thing about Ordinary how tightly written it is, inspiringly so. Can't wait for the HC to hit.

Also. I think Rob Williams would be a great writer to helm an Anderson story. I think he'd be able to find some interesting angle to her. His Dirty Frank and Dredd (Titan and such) stuff is fantastic.
    Last edited by borntohula; 09-29-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Mighty Member

In case you people have forgotten, this forum operates under the same rules as the rest of the internet. There are no rules, there is only the law. And as for today, it's the #DayofDredd

Make sure to support it on Twitter (#DayofDredd) and https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel

Last year Karl Urban had his say about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rE79vRsdU Now it's Olivia THRILLby's turn. it's http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...dd-fans-737160

Just sayin

I think Azzarello was going to push a relationship with Orion a sort of new god/old god type think but that got derailed when she started doing Superman. The New Gods are now in Green Lantern crossover meh first issue. Yeah I want a Morrison Omnibus I have already doubled or triple dipped on them got singes, deluxe, and absolutes love his Batman work. It really is amazing how Wagner just continues to write the perfect Dredd especially with the changes Dredd has gone through in the Origins and Tour of Duty books. Still a hard and stern Judge but has actually grown to see the flaws of the justice department and the way some are treated. I love some the other writers but they never capture that magic that Wagner has when writing Dredd.

The recent Dredd/Simping Detective/Low Life crossover I enjoyed very much thought Williams, Ewing, and Spurrier did a great job especially with the massive changes from the Days of Chaos. I love Tour of Duty also and do hope Wagner continues that in some way it really pushed Dredd in a good direction with Fargoville and the mutants. Anderson is at her best when dealing with the Dark Judges hopefully she plays a big part in Dark Justice we know PJ will have to be involved in some way and the Dark Judges are probably not going to be happy with him.

I have seen Urban pushing for it for a while now good to see she is for it also, really is my favorite comic movie they did such a good job translating them both to big screen some changes will always be needed for an adaption but both of them played Dredd and Anderson incredibly well, would love to see a sequel with those two vs Judge Death.

Mighty Member

I think Azzarello and Chiang knew quite early on that there wouldn't be a Diana & Orion. Otherwise Orion wouldn't been written like a cosmic jock/jack ass.

I got Judge Dredd Complete case files 1 - 5, 14, Complete America, Origins, Tour of duty and Day of Chaos on my main book shelf (I got most of CF6-13,15-23 + collected epics boxed elswhere) now. Think it makes for a really good read with good transitions, showing how ideas evolves and becoming more complex with time and also being a sort of best off classic, 90's and modern day Dredd.

CF1-5 carelessly laying the ground work with robots, clones, president Booth, wars, Lopez's mustache and Dark judges/Anderson.
    CF14 and America planting seeds of serious doubts (well beyond Question of Judgement) and complexity into all of above.
    Origins, ToD, DoC taking it all above further, adding more weight and making it more relevant (to what's going on in the real world).

I think Dark justice will continue end things like Origins to Doc have, and like those also started new threads. An interesting thing with both Necropolis, Tour of duty and Day of Chaos is that not many writers outside Wagner does something with it. Perhaps it's because how good they are, making it a bit too tough to follow for other writers. But I hope/think the theme of "Dredd might not always be thinking clearly" (Titan and Man comes around) has latched on.

Also. Looks like Wagner probably will continue to write epics. Especially since Block Judge will be 60 pages long. I'm hoping it'll carry the recent theme (one I mentioned above) of Dredd perhaps being wrong. Judge Beeny being in it is a good sign that things will be interesting! I'v also read somewhere that while Wagner hadn't figured out a new Dredd-epic he was eager to. For a while it sounded as if he'd slow down and focus on smaller stories. Cool to hear that he still thinks big

I also love Trifecta. Black ops & espionage in the Dredd-verse. Dredd telling Bachmann "There are no rules, there is only the law."is one of the most epic verbal exchanges I'v read. A shame I didn't read the prog then when it was serialized and the cross over materialized. Not that I think surprises improves a story (I still love Luke I'm your father after watching it 20 times.) it's always cool to be a bit surprised
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-06-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Yeah it is interesting that other writers do not follow up on a lot of ideas that Wagner uses. I think with some of the more recent Wagner epics he knows what he will be following up on and ask 2000 AD to leave it open for him to continue on. He is really good at following up on his own stories and ideas, like Days of Chaos following up 30 years later both in real life and Dredd's world. Both Wagner and Ezquerra are getting up their in age so I hope 2000 AD lets them run any Dredd epics they want, going to be a very sad and weird day when Wagner is no longer the driving force behind Dredd.

I have been grabbing all the Complete Case Files as they come out and reading them again so many classic stories in them. It is crazy that they are at volume 23 and still not even halfway through yet, hopefully it keeps going for a while still at least up until Origins.

Just started the second ABC Warrior hardcover they put out pretty good so far, it is nice to see them reprinting older stuff.

Also if anyone wants Zenith from the US should order soon bleeding cool reporting already sold out of first printing. I imagine they will go fast both UK and US due to the fact that no one has been able to get them in so long. The limited edition hardcover they did is really amazing they did such a good job with the reprints was super super expensive but well worth it.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...series-online/

Hopefully they can get Urban and Thirlby to come back and play Dredd and Anderson.