Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I think a problem is that alot of it just becomes "story" instead of "character". I think it's not until recently Michael Carroll managed to put a spin on Doleman (now the entry/point of the Dredd-family angle), especially with The forsaken (a cool post DoC who dunnit). Perhaps stuff like Garth Ennis reviving Chopper in an instant and such made it hard for other writers than Wagner making changes.

Wagner has said that Alex Garland suggested it to him to pen a "Death of Judge Dredd" script and let it see a release when he dies. Looks like he was amused by the idea of doing so.

But I think Dredd is quite safe. Especially if in the hands of Al Ewing, Michael Carroll and Rob Williams.

The CF:s are truly great. While I'm avoiding Mark Millar stuff and recently mostly focusing on those with epics in them, I got 1 up to 16 (Which I follow with the Mechanismo TBP, CF21 and and The pit TBP till CF25 with Dead reckoning hits.). A cool thing is that they probably never will flood the market for them. Why I don't believe the later volumes sees as much print and sales like the first 5 or so are, there'll be a market for new ones as long as there are fans of the character collecting the CF:s!

I really hope hardcovers is something 2000AD keeps on printing. Being that both Trifecta and the upcoming Dark Judges are in HC, I really hope some classics could come in the format. The manga-sized books seems to have sold really well, so I can't for imagine for example Necropolis (Preferably also collecting Letter to Judge Dredd) in hardcover doing any worse. America could have Letter from a democrat and Revolution... Gonna stop here, else I'll go on forever on dream-Dredd collections :P

I recently ordered Stickleback: England's Glory ahead of the upcoming Stickleback: Number of the Beast. For me Ian Edginton reads much better in collected form than 6 pages with 7 days between.

Btw, read his Brass sun? I'v skipped it a bit in the prog since I read it on my phone. Didn't feel it'd make it any justice as such. Art, detail and all.

Saw about Adi's Dark Judges the other day. The guys amazing. His Venom-movie is my favorite Marvel film and also a very cleverly made film. Can't wait see what he'll come up with later this month. Wouldn't mind if Urban and THRILLby are involved either
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-08-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

Recently became a big fan of 2000 AD in recent years. I love Slàine, he's basically like Conan on steroids IMO. Love Judge Dredd as well but I really want to delve into Strontium Dog & Indigo Prime. Strontium Dog seems like a really cool Sci-Fi comic (as most 2000 AD strips are) & Indigo Prime's concept of an agency that fixes issues in the Multiverse is really cool as well.

The Millar stuff does not bother me to much is it the best Dredd nope not even close but I still enjoy them. I like Brass Sun but it reads better back to back it is good. Whenever a new arc starts I am like its okay and solid then I go read them all together and it is much more enjoyable. IDW did a really good hardcover for Block Mania and Apocalypse War all in color they call it Judge Dredd Classics hopefully the next one is Judge Death and Judge Death Lives.

If you want to get into Strontium Dog the Search/destroy Agency Files (1 - 4) and Final Solution collect the whole original run by Wagner, Grant, and Ezquerra it is really good. ABC Warriors is a good robot book and I would also suggest checking out the old Rogue Trooper books also very good. The Complete Ro-Busters comes out next month it has a couple Alan Moore stories in it but Pat Mills with Dave Gibbons, Kevin O'Neill, and Mike McMahon they do excellent work.

I double my post here, volume 1 of the collected judge Dredd newspaper strips in up for prorder. There is a very limited edition (250 copies) exclusive to 2000 AD webshop: http://shop.2000adonline.com/product...imited_edition

Daily Dredds came very nice book well put together and some amazing Ron Smith artwork.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Pre-ordered the Slaine Brutannia Chronicles Book 1 in hard cover. I cannot wait for book 2.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Podcast with Wagner and Ezquerra talking about how they got started in comics and other topics.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/...rlos-ezquerra/

Question from a newbie, yank. Where would a good place to start be in regards to Dredd?
    How many titles are involved in the "Dredd family" of books (is there a Dredd universe?)
    Trades, singles, etc, where's the best place to start? I see IDW is printing Dredd stories, are these
    reprintings of already released material?

IDW has its own Dredd universe separate from 2000 AD, I have not read any of it so I cannot comment if it is any good. IDW also does Dredd Classics, these are colored versions of the original black and white 2000 AD stories, so far they have done Block Mania/Apocalypse War one of the biggest and best Dredd stories and they did a fantastic job on the hardcover collected edition. For how many titles are in the "Dredd family" it is very different then American comics, they have 2 books a weekly 2000 AD prog and a monthly Judge Dredd Megazine, all of the Dredd stories come from those two books. That said they do have other stories that take place in Mega-City One, an example of this is Judge Anderson: PSI-Files these are also contained in the Prog and Megazine so you do have other stories but they take place in the same books as the Dredd stories. Other non-related Dredd stories run in the Prog and Megazines also, they do have multiple issue story arcs but you only get about 6 pages at a time and then next weeks Prog continues the story.

As for what to start with the Complete Case Files are the best and cheapest way to get into Dredd, I would suggest starting with 2 or 3 they have the Cursed Earth and Judge Death stories. I enjoy the first book but it is not for everyone, the best Case File is 5 it has Judge Death Lives, Block Mania, and Apocalypse war. The American releases of the Case Files is at number 8, the UK version just put out Complete Case File 23, they contain the same stories but they are just slow to release here, I am also a yank but through Book Depository or Amazon UK you can get the UK ones for a good price. Where they are with 23 it is about halfway through all of Dredd stories, these collect both Prog and Megazine in chronological order. The other thing to note is that Dredd ages in real time and also they do not do reboots so a lot of stuff has happened and changed Mega-City One. If you just want modern Dredd you could read Tour of Duty and Chaos days and be caught up on the most recent big events.

Finally read the first part of Dark Justice some great art work cannot wait for this story to start moving along looks to be an awesome job by Wagner and Staples

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Finally read the first part of Dark Justice some great art work cannot wait for this story to start moving along looks to be an awesome job by Wagner and Staples
    Can't wait to see where it goes. 2 years in the making. And Wagner's stories have been very surprising lately, gone in a completely directions than hinted at first. Something Staples also has said will be the case with Dark Justice.

I wonder what'll become of PJ Maybe and the Dark judges. Also if it'll bring some "end" to Day of chaos.
    Last edited by borntohula; 01-19-2015 at 05:27 AM.

One of the odd aspects of buying digital copies of 2000AD is that there are various places from which to buy digital copies from the publisher Rebellion, and they offer a different range of products and pricing options. There are the Apple and Android apps, which currently offer progs at the highest price, but also digital subscriptions, collected editions, Judge Dredd casefiles, etc. The progs on the Apple one at least only seem to go back to 1715, though. There is the online store which as well as print copies offers a wider range of progs at a slightly cheaper digital price, but print, not digital subscriptions. (And of course the digital collected editions.) Finally Rebellion has this other site, Clickwheel which has progs/megazines going back before both the online store and the apps, and offers both progs and subscriptions at a cheaper price (but not collected editions). I think (not 100% sure) that the Android app at least may be able to pull through purchases at the online store but not Clickwheel.

All confusing!

Sadly (for me anyway) apparently Clickwheel is going to be increasing its prices on Friday 6 February to bring them in line with the Apps. Whether or not the online store will follow suit, I don't know. Hopefully this won't cause a problem with my ongoing subscription with Clickwheel, which was bought at the cheaper price.

I understand the long-term plan is to phase out Clickwheel and create an integrated website - I hope that it will provide the same amount of backissue progs as Clickwheel (a greater number would be better of course ).
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 01-31-2015 at 03:40 AM.

BANNED

Noob question here: I bought my first Dredd trade today, which was titled Dredd: The Complete Case files 01.1. The rest that I saw where: 01.2, 02.1, 02.2, 03.1, 03.2. Now, my question is, when I buy all of them (I live in Greece BTW, so these are the only ones that exist here) where do I continue? CCF 4 or 7?

I have not seen them numbered in this fashion, do they give you the Prog numbers (Issue numbers basically) that each book collects? May be best to see what each one collects and use that to determine what comes next. If you have no problem with English I would suggest using book depository prices are decent and they have free world wide delivery. I have used them a lot and have not had any issues.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Judge-.../9781906735876

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I have not seen them numbered in this fashion, do they give you the Prog numbers (Issue numbers basically) that each book collects? May be best to see what each one collects and use that to determine what comes next. If you have no problem with English I would suggest using book depository prices are decent and they have free world wide delivery. I have used them a lot and have not had any issues.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Judge-.../9781906735876
    All my comics are in english (since I get them either from online stores as trades, or through a subscription service) so I don't have a problem. This was just one of the rare times I found something worth buying in a store in my city. Anyway, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!