Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    No.

I just spent a ridiculous amount on the digital app though, catching up with Ampney Crucis Investigates... Simon Davis has me by the wallet dang it.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the Dredd movie and will happily support a sequel, it's been nigh impossible for me to get into the strip itself. When I recover sufficiently from this latest binge, if Dark Justice is still going in the April and May progs, I will read it.

I am occasional reader. If Slaine is on board, I'll temporarily subscribe. If I can find another strip that I enjoy as much, great. I love the idea of the prog and that it's been running for so long, but I think a lot goes over my head despite playing in genres I enjoy.
    Slain Primordial started this week prog. Also a new Strontium Dog story always nice to get some more Johnny Alpha, looks to be a flashback story looks like Wulf will be showing up.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Slain Primordial started this week prog. Also a new Strontium Dog story always nice to get some more Johnny Alpha, looks to be a flashback story looks like Wulf will be showing up.
    Yup, know about Slaine. Not into SD, I but this Orlok story is enjoyable so far. Started my annual three month digital subscription with 1924.

I'm probably going to wait out the collected Slaine stories on digital after this. Finances won't allow me to continue the 3 month subs and this second story is way too slow coming out of the gate. It's made for trade reading. That said, I respect 2000 AD a lot, even if I do not get or get into many of their series.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 04-11-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    Yup, know about Slaine. Not into SD, I but this Orlok story is enjoyable so far. Started my annual three month digital subscription with 1924.

I'm probably going to wait out the collected Slaine stories on digital after this. Finances won't allow me to continue the 3 month subs and this second story is way too slow coming out of the gate. It's made for trade reading. That said, I respect 2000 AD a lot, even if I do not get or get into many of their series.
    Also signed up for a three months subscription starting with 1924. Mainly for Dan Abnett, never can get enough of his stuff. Also like the Dredd and Strontium Dog stories. Slaine just leaves me completely befuddled, but it's nice to look at.
    Current favourites: BPRD, Baltimore, Deadly Class, Zero, Prophet, Lazarus, East of West, MindMGMT

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
    Also signed up for a three months subscription starting with 1924. Mainly for Dan Abnett, never can get enough of his stuff. Also like the Dredd and Strontium Dog stories. Slaine just leaves me completely befuddled, but it's nice to look at.
    This Slaine Primordial (part 2 of a 3 book) arc has been disappointing thus far as opposed to last year's part 1 A Simple Killing. I can see why it's leaving you befuddled. Pretty much confirms I'll be skipping the digital subscription next year and just wait for the digital edition of the last Slaine book to drop.

All that said, the nice thing about 2000AD is the variety. I am enjoying the Orlok story and I'm not into the Dredd universe.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Amazing Member

I'm a Brit that has been on and off the 2000AD bandwagon repeatedly since 1989.

How is 2000AD and the Megazine in general at the moment and are any of the other books that have came out from 2000AD any good? (Talking about the miniseries btw!)

BANNED

So I've seen the Judge Dredd movies. The crappy one and the awesome one. So where would be a good start for a newbie like me? The Dredd character comes off as stoic and straight forward to me. Is there a shared universe involved? Are the comics as violent as the recent movie? Ugh! So many questions. Forgive me. I'm just trying to expand my taste beyond The Big 2, Valiant & Image.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    So I've seen the Judge Dredd movies. The crappy one and the awesome one. So where would be a good start for a newbie like me? The Dredd character comes off as stoic and straight forward to me. Is there a shared universe involved? Are the comics as violent as the recent movie? Ugh! So many questions. Forgive me. I'm just trying to expand my taste beyond The Big 2, Valiant & Image.
    Dredd does have a shared universe with other books, but not like Marvel and DC. Like the run Anderson stories and those are in the same universe is Dredd, but they do not cross over a lot. Like right now they have a Mean Machine story going and it is in the same universe as Dredd but is its own story. A bunch of books kind of tie in to the same universe through different hints and crossovers with characters but it is nothing like Marvel and DC they take place in the future or past and just little hints or character cameos tie them together.

The Dredd comics do have violence but it covers a lot of genres and has a lot of black comedy, good first read for a decent price you may want to check out Complete Case Files 3 or 5, they both have some excellent Dredd stories, they are all in black and white though. You can get some in color from IDW but the complete case files are easy and fairly cheap way to check out the comics.

The link below is a collection of stories that are in the same universe as the Dredd film.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Urban-Wa...+urban+warfare

I've found the IDW series excellent, and very accessible.

Its quite easy to jump into Dredd as despite a running continuity its never really a huge focus in any given story. Anything that does follow on from previous stuff tends to get recapped sufficiently.
    As such, theres no real bad place to start. You could start at the beginning with Case Files 01, or just jump on with Prog 1924 which is the latest "jump on" issue of 2000AD with four all new story arcs beginning inside. (Why not get into the rest of 2000AD whilst your at it!?)

Otherwise you can just pick and choose different stories both modern and classic. Some recs:

Case Files Vol. 2: contains the first mega-epic; The Cursed Earth Saga, plus the excellent The Day the Law Died. This is the volume in which Dredd first kind of found its voice imo.

Case Files Vol. 5: when things really ramped up in the Dredd universe. Includes highlights such as Blockmania and The Apocalypse War.

America: One of the highest acclaimed Dredd stories. Scrutinises the true effects of Mega Citys Judicial system and the price of such "justice."

Origins: As you may expect, reveals Dredds origins and the formation of the Judges.

Urban Warfare: Sequel to the Dredd movie.

But yeah, you can kinda start anywhere. I myself only got into Dredd a rew years ago and my first story was the Day of Chaos Mega Epic in which the Sovs unleash a plague of Meg City 1 and kill over half the population. At first i had no idea what was what but by the end I was hooked on Dredd and his world.

Happy reading!

^

He makes some excellent points, despite a lot of stuff going down in Dredd's history it is really easy to jump in and start reading. The Days of Chaos are a great modern Dredd story, you could Ameirca, Origin, Tour of Duty, and Chaos and be caught up on modern major Dredd stories and they are all really good. You could then work backwards if it interest you.

BANNED

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I was just curious, because the comic book shops that I go to never carry any Judge Dredd books. So I figure maybe this is huge back in Britain.

BANNED

This is great so far. I'm on Judge Dredd #3. I'm reading the books by IDW, not 2000AD. The judges are looking for one of Mega City-One's wealthiest citizens and it's referred to as a Trump Alert. That's cute lol.

EDIT: Now I see what all the drokkin fuss is about with this series. I'm on #12 and I'm seriously considering adding this to my pull.
    Last edited by Starchild; 04-26-2015 at 09:51 PM.

This is great so far. I'm on Judge Dredd #3. I'm reading the books by IDW, not 2000AD. The judges are looking for one of Mega City-One's wealthiest citizens and it's referred to as a Trump Alert. That's cute lol.

EDIT: Now I see what all the drokkin fuss is about with this series. I'm on #12 and I'm seriously considering adding this to my pull.
    I've been loving this series. I recently stopped picking it up in singles so I can grab the collected volumes.

Have only read the first trade but if you are liking it odds are you will like the 2000 AD stuff. It is easily one of the greatest ongoing comics ever created and has the benefit of the original writer still working on the character, if you like things like the Trump alert the series has a lot of things like that in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Have only read the first trade but if you are liking it odds are you will like the 2000 AD stuff. It is easily one of the greatest ongoing comics ever created and has the benefit of the original writer still working on the character, if you like things like the Trump alert the series has a lot of things like that in it.

I love 2000AD, I haven't been a fan for long but I read fair amount of stuff (there is my email printed in the last prog 1930 ) and just love it! I bought City Limits TPB (first 12 issues) from IDW, and as much I really enjoyed first 6 issues, as soon as story moved to the Cursed Earth, my exitement faded. I will still follow it, but if you compare it to the original epic from 2000AD, it's just weak...