Default My Batman '66 Treatments

As a huge fan of Batman '66 I have written multiple adventures that I would love to one day see officially published. However, I realize that will never be so I decided to post them here.

I've done much more than just write random adventures. I've created an entire timeline that represents the career of Batman all based on the actual Batman career of Adam West and his time appearing in costume from 1965 through 1996. During this time I've determined that as per Adam West's actually Batman career, Batman '66 should not only represent the TV series but also adventures in the early-mid 70s (most notably his confrontation with Jerry "The King" Lawler - another adventure I have written), the Adam West version of JLA ("Legends of the Superheroes") which I stretched from 1977-1982. Then a brief retirement only to return in 1986 (the 20th anniversary of the series that saw a huge surge in popularity for the series) for the TV reunion movie that we never got (but I wrote many years ago) and several more adventures after that.

Like the Batman '66 comics I have written both standard Batman '66 adventures as well as crossover adventures all while staying true to the theme of TV series. If you like Adam West and Burt Ward you will love my writtings. I will post them at random when my schedule permits starting today. I hope everyone enjoys.

This first adventure is one I have already shared in another section so, I thought I would start with this. Rather than retype it I'm just going to copy and paste. It was so long that it took took sections to complete. lol

"BATMAN '66 MEETS SUPERMAN '55"
    16641005_10210898475073034_2451785040077829231_n.jpg

The two most popular TV heroes of the 20th century. Adam West's Batman and George Reeves' Superman. Would it be a family friendlier version of Batman vs Superman or would they be natural allies whom Batman calls "Soup" as he did in his 1976 appearance in Memphis? I tend to think the latter.

The first problem I came up with is how to get the Superman cast to the 60's without aging them. Sure, it would be nothing for Superman to still be active in the 60s but, what about Lois Lane and the young Jimmy Olsen? As much as I detest time travel stories I felt that seeing as how George Reeves passed away in 1959 and thus would have been unable to appear on the Batman TV series, time travel again seemed to be the only option. Plus, there was Metropolis' local friendly mad scientist Professor Pepperwinkle (a character already established on the TV series) who could accidently invent a machine that sends people through time instead of it's intended purpose.

With no way to get home the Superman cast hear of Batman and Robin and seek them out for assistance. Their timely arrival helps the Dynamic Duo out of a jam and Superman quickly becomes an ally of Batman and agree to help the Caped Crusaders solve their current caper. In exchange Batman promises to use all resourses available in the Batcave to help them return to their own time.

Meanwhile in 1955 Professor Pepperwinkle has been trying to bring them back. A combination of his invention and a Batman experiment causes another unexpected time travel.

Now here's where I became torn. Should Batman and Robin be transported back to 1955 thus causing futher time travel issues and letting the casts swap shows for a time or should only Superman be transported back leaving the rest stranded? I went with the latter. Professor Pepperwinkle figures out how to bring them all back but they must be within a few feet of another device he invented. Unfortunately there is no way to send Superman to any specific chosen period of time. He must wait 11 years before flying to Gotham and giving them the device.

While Superman has to wait 11 years, to those in the 60s it feels like a few seconds. Superman disappears and then flies back a few seconds later. But within those 11 years Clark learns of information vital to help Batman solve the crime. He follows the lead for years as it plays out in real time as history puts the clues together naturally. When the time comes to fly back to Gotham City the mystery is nearly solved and just needs Batman's help to fill in the pieces. This way one can't do it without the other.

Also I would love to read some youthful banter between Olsen and Robin (or Dick Grayson) over who is the better Superhero. BvS family friendly style. lol

I also think there's some fun to be had with the Daily Planet staff ca. 1955 being thrown into the Swingin' 60s. What would Lois, in her calf-length skirts, button-up collars and pillbox hats make of mini-skirts and go-go boots? How would Jimmy react to hippie culture and the Beatles?

To add a touch of real time to the story they will have disappeared in 1958 (when the show went off the air) and transported to 1966. Upon meeting Superman, Batman recalls hearing stories about a man who could fly but those stories ended almost 10 years ago and he took them as little more than a radio program. Now he realizes they were true!

Of course the Superman crew would ultimately be returned to their own time. Superman - the only one who could endure it - is the only one who feels the full effect of the time travel having to wait 11 years (or 8 if we tie into the show's cancellation) to get back to the future. To everyone else it's instantaneous. We get to see what happens to The Daily Planet and Metropolis during those eight years and Superman has to be ultra careful to both continue to stop crime but also to not change the timeline so that he can still fly back to Gotham at the right time to deliver the time device and save his friends.

So none of the humans will be in more than one timeline at a time thus keeping everything steady.

Superman is the last to go back. During the story it becomes nessesary for Clark to change to Superman and Batman manages to deduce that they are one and the same. When they say their goodbyes Batman assures Superman that his secret is safe with them to which Superman replies, "As is yours with me." The Dynamic Duo seem puzzled. How could he know their secret? Superman smiles and points to his eyes reminding them of his x-ray vision. A new bond of trust has been formed.

SUPERMAN: "I guess I'll see you in about 11 (or 8) years."
    BATMAN: "I guess I'll see you... tomorrow."

The two shake hands before Superman also travels back to 1957. As far as Batman and Robin are concerned, once Superman has left it is back to business as usual chalking up their meeting with Superman as just one of those things in the life of every crime fighter. When Robin asks if they will ever see him again Batman replies, "Who knows? After all we can now confirm that he is out there somewhere. Right now. Maybe one day we crime fighters may even get together and form a league of some kind."

The next day at Wayne Manor Alfred announces the arrival of a Mr. Clark Kent. Bruce offers him some, "Soup?" which Clark declines saying that it drives him "Batty" in a little wink, wink moment as the story ends.

At this point I had not yet chosen a villain or a crime. Seeing as how this would likely be a six issue miniseries there would be plenty of room to add that after the all important Batman/Superman formula is worked out. Now that the story was set I began thinking of who the villains would be. This proved to be an entire process on it's own which proved to be far more interesting than I ever imagined!

I wanted to use the villain(s) from both series that could collaborate and commit a crime over time. The big obstacle here was the fact that due to the low budget there were no regular villains used in the George Reeves Superman series (not even any that were original to the TV show ). Just one shot gangsters played by the same hand full of guest stars. I was therefore forced to put my creativity to the test.

I started by binge watching the TV series to see which Batman villain(s) would work best in the cross over story. At first I was expecting to choose from the more familiar villains such as Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman. Then I came to the Black Widow episodes and began to see possibilities. Being an older villainess she could certainty conceivably have been involved in crimes before the Batman TV series. Perhaps Superman may have previously encountered her. Suddenly I remembered The Superman serial from 1948 which featured a villainess known as The Spider Lady. "Could the two..." I thought, "Be one and the same?" I quickly watched the 1948 serial and began searching for similarities between the two characters. Here's what I found:
    1) spider theme
    2) black clothing
    3) class/elegance
    4) magnetic web wall of death
    5) age: (young in the 40's older in the 60s) I had to play with their ages a bit bit I think I came up with a way to make it work.
    6) hair color: brunette (although Spider Lady wears a blonde wig and Black Widow is greying)
    7) SL learns of mind control which BW uses extensively

Not a lot, but enough to make the connection. Through research I also discovered that the Spider Lady - as she appeared in the serial - was based off of a character from the Superman radio show known as "The Scarlet Widow" (similar name) who's ultimate goal for her crimes was weath - just like Black Widow. So by combining the history of these one shot characters I managed to create a villain not only with ties to both Superman and Batman but one who's got a long career as of arch criminal. Plus, it would allow me to give a nod to the serials (and radio show) as well. Finally, I recalled how Commisioner Gordon referenced a previous meeting with Black Widow. I realized that could be the connection to the past and why Superman needs Batman's help to piece it together.

Here's where it started to get big. I started to imagine Commissioner Gordon from more than a decade earlier. I began picturing him with a mustache as he commonly appears in comic books. This made me think of the second Batman serial in which Commissioner Gordon appeared for the first time. Lyle Talbot portrayed Gordon in the 1949 serial which would have been about the right time. (Slap the table!) Suddenly it hit me! Not only did Lyle Talbot portray Commissioner Gordon in 1949 but, he also portrayed Lex Luthor in the second Superman serial in 1950 (just one year before the first episodes of the George Reeves series were filmed).

Now I had my collaboration! In the 1948 serial The Spider Lady first learns of mind control techniques. Lex Luthor will use his vast scientific knowledge to mechanize the process in order to project its effects on to the desired victim. This will also explain where black widow got that technology in the Batman series. Luthor and The Spider Lady, now known as The Scarlet Widow (to hide the fact that she survived) and appearing somewhat older after having been zapped by the Relativity Reducer Ray (presumably killing her) at the end of the 1948 serial conspire to perfect the mind control device and steal as much wealth as they desire.

The duo think big and go beyond Metropolis to Gotham City (with plans to eventually travel the would) where they meet Police Captain Gordon. Due to his resemblance to a younger Gordon (they were played by the same man in the serials lol), Luthor disguises himself as the Police Captain who has been lured into a trap by the mind bending powers of The Scarlet Widow. Although Superman foils their original plot we learn in the future that The Scarlet Widow (now Black Widow)'s mind bending effects on Gordon are still present (perhaps explaining why the Commissioner is always so eternally baffled) and are about to be utilized again. As I mentioned earlier, the details of the crime will be revealed and connections made during Superman's eight to eleven year wait to return to 1966 (where the crime will ultimately be stopped with the collaboration of both Batman and Superman) and rescue his friends.

Whew! That story (not to mention the making of) was so complex that I had to explain it in two parts! I like how I managed to give a nod to the serials and radio show while writing out the plot. A couple of other details: Only Lois, Clark and Jimmy will travel through time. Perry White, Professor Pepperwinkle and Inspector Henderson will remain in the 50s so to keep the story stable (and still feeling like an episode of Adventures of Superman) when Superman travels back and bust wait until 1966. Gordon, Luthor and Widow will be seen in all timelines in order to ensure connections between the two shows at all times.

It's quite complex but, having written it I am able to follow it. Is everyone else able to follow it or do I need to make changes?
    Last edited by The Boss; 03-23-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Before I post my next treatment I want to establish my vision of how (and why) to adapt Legends of the Superheroes to comics.

"Legends Of The Superheroes"
    20171229_021803.jpg

As a fan of Legends of the Superheroes (LOTS), I've always considered it canon to the TV series but, with the publication of the Batman '66 comics I have felt that DC should officially make the LOTS specials canon to the Batman '66 line. "Why?" you may be asking. For several reasons.

First is the chance to have Adam West's own version of the Justice League of America. LOTS is a more lighthearted version which fits better with the Adam West, Bright Knight rendition. Unlike the comic Batman, LOTS shows that Adam West's Batman has actually gotten happier as he gets older (as opposed to angrier and darker as in the comics) and enjoys his chosen life of crime fighting. So the Legends of the Superheroes comics should be more lighthearted than Batman '66. While we still don't want the comics to feel like the variety show of the specials, I would have it feel like the third season of the Batman TV series which would still allow plenty of room for laughs while also enable a hint of drama. Laughs first with action added.

Second is the potential for more pair ups. We have already seen several great pair ups of other 60s shows with the "Batman '66 Meets..." series. By including LOTS, we can expand that to include series and movies of the 70s and even stretch it into the early 80s as well.

Third is that the seeds for making it canon were already (if unintentionally) planted in "Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77" during which Wonder Woman coaxed Bruce Wayne out of retirement in 1977 and closes with a comment about forming a league of some kind. Well, LOTS accurs right after that, Adam West does indeed come out of retirement to return as Batman and does form a superhero league. While Wonder Woman wasn't part of LOTS, she was in action at the time on her own show. It could easily be said that she was part of the group but, was simply on another mission at the time of the LOTS adventures. In fact, the same thing could be said for Christopher Reeve's Superman who was on the big screen at the time. So making LOTS canon also gives an opportunity to team Adam West and Christopher Reeve.

Fourth would be for licensing. While Warner Bros. currently has a deal worked out with 20th Century Fox, what's going to happen when Disney buys them out? Is the deal strong enough to withstand the buyout or is it a fragile deal that could be easily broken? By switching to LOTS, WB will own everything. The characters, the title, the sets, the variation of the looks of the costumes/Batmobile etc. There will be no fear of copywriter issues.

Fifth is the expansion of the Adam West universe. No longer will it be relegated to a two and a half year time frame. It can now be expanded to the early 80s and beyond. Yes, I even have plans for beyond LOTS. Stay tuned.

To ensure that Batman remains the focus of this series (should it ever happen) I would format it like this; instead of being a unified group constantly working together (as in JLA or even Super Friends), the Superheroes will work independently in their own territory only coming together during times of dire emergency... or if Ed McMahon offers to host a celebrity roast in their honor. lol This way not every superhero has to be part of every story (thus explaining Superman's and Wonder Woman's absence in the LOTS specials) but, every story should involve Batman and Robin. Even Dick Grayson will be out on his own as Nightwing but, when he is called to re-unite he willingly goes back to being Robin The Boy Wonder because Batman and Robin are a team. And because it will be funny watching him going from a man to portraying a boy just for the sake of public expectations. lol

It was established in "The Challenge" episode that the "Hall of Heroes" was located within a wing of the Batcave (perhaps added after the '66 series) as the superheroes were all seen exiting the same cave entrance used in the series. Plus the interior of the HoH was made to look like a cave. So, it only makes sense for Batman to be the unofficial leader and therefore be involved in every story.

There should be five kinds of basic plots. 1) A story involving multiple Superheroes stopping a major plot by the villains. 2) A story where Batman is the focus with another hero helping. 3) A story that focusses on another hero with Batman and Robin helping. 4)A story that begins in another hero's territory but, when the crime gets too big a call is made to the Batcave where Batman contacts another hero and sends them to help while staying in contact and offering access to the Batcomputer. 5) A crossover episode featuring a character from a 70s/early 80s show (such as the Six Million Dollar Man, Isis or The Greatest American Hero) and movies (like Swamp thing). As often as possible all characters should reflect the character how he/she was depicted on film at the time as if we the actual crossover took place between the shows at the time.

Like with the Batman '66 comics, DC should use the likenesses of as many of the LOTS cast as they can get the rights to. For characters not used in LOTS or Batman '66 they should "cast" the likeness of an actor from that period in the role.

Also, since Gary Owens was the narrator of LOTS and best known as the voice of Space Ghost, all of the comic narration should include an image of Space Ghost (a Superhero himself) in the corner by the text as if he was doing the narration. This would allow the inclusion of Owens as well in a unique way that also includes Hanna Barbara (the producers of the LOTS specials) while keeping it Superhero oriented.

I know that not everyone likes LOTS but, if done with more emphasis on Batman '66 and expanding the Adam West (not to mention ALL of the DC real world/media era) I feel that this could not only work on it's own But also help to increase he fan base of Batman '66 as it will expand the brand beyond the few years of footage that we have much like the Batman'66 digital comics have done.

Since it was already established in the Batman TV series that a character can be recast without explination it would be fun to switch Captain Marvel from adventure to adventure to feature the likeness of either Garrett Craig (from LOTS), Jackson Bostwick (Shazam! season 1) and John Davey (Shazam! seasons 2 & 3).

For the sake of real time continuity I would be sure to true to the costumes that were utilized in the LOTS specials. Yes, that even includes Batman's "gila" cowl although it would be drawn as a bit more form fitting (as in the attached picture by Alex Ross) while clearly being worn outside of the cape. Also, the face of the cowl will be drawn to resemble it as it appeared in the LOTS specials with the raised eyebrows, lines only on the side of the nose and no black on the face. Again, this would be done for the sake of real time continuity as Batman's costume should always resemble the one that Adam West actually wore during that period of time. Likewise the Batmobile should be drawn to resemble how it appeared at the time complete with flocking (as it appeared in the LOTS specials). If Batman can change his look in the comics over the years then so can Batman '66.

Since this is only fan fiction I also plan on doing Marvel crossovers with Spider-Man (Nicholas Hammond), Captain America (Reb Brown), Dr. Strange (Peter Hooten) and of course The Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno). There is so much that can be done with Batman '66 beyond the 60s. I really want to tap into that all but unexplored area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Boss; 03-23-2018 at 12:54 AM.

"BATMAN: The Bright Knight Returns"
    19756480_472577206410358_6538895835135670004_n.jpg
    Today I want to talk about the first thing that I ever wrote. Back in 1986 - during the 20th anniversary of the TV series (not to mention the era of TV reunion movies) - at the age of 13 I wrote a treatment for a Batman reunion movie. It was loosely based off of the then newly released book "The Dark Knight Returns" only to the extent that it features a 55 year old Bruce Wayne suiting up to once again fight a wave of crime in Gotham City.

However, having grown up on Adam West and Olan Solie I felt there was no way that this new, darker version would ever catch on so, I made sure to stick to the tone of the original series.

Several of my ideas were later used by other writers (although not necessarily do to my writing) in future Batman projects. Most notably having Barbara Gordon succeed her father as police commissioner. Although my reasons for doing it had nothing to do with giving women a position of power like today's writers. No, mine was for more practical purposes. First was the fact that Neil Hammilton was one of the few stars who were no longer with us in 1986. He needed to be replaced. I felt that Barbara would have felt more natural than some random new cast member shoehorned in that might clash with the established formula. Not to mention the fun of having Barbara - despite having been Batgirl and confiding her secret to Alfred - STILL doesn't know Batman's identity even as police commisioner. lol So close yet, so far away.

The second reason had to do with Yvonne Craig's physique. While she was still extremely beautiful, she was a bit heavier and might not have looked as good in her ultra tight Batgirl costume (at 13 I was starting to notice these things, my first oncoming thrust of manhood lol) so, this ensured her a prominent role without having to tarnish her image as Batgirl.

Now for the story... It was a quieter, peaceful time in Gotham City. Having finally vanquished all of the crime Batman and Robin were able to hang up their capes and retire from crime fighting. Dick Grayson eventually grew up and moved out on his own. Much to the delight of Alfred Bruce Wayne resumed the full time life of a millionaire playboy that he was destined to lead, a new police force replaced the old guard (Stafford Repp had also passed by this time) and Batman was soon forgotten.

Until one day... A nesting bird accidentally triggered the old Batsignal high atop the Gotham City building. Alfred sees it first and is in shock. Surely it can't be. He tries to turn Bruce away from the window but, Bruce ultimately sees it. Bruce Wayne, who was notably bored suddenly lights up. This is what his life has been missing. The call of duty, the thrill of the chase, the satisfaction of putting an arch rival behind bars in hopes that the Wayne Foundation rehabilitation program can rehabilitate the dastardly foe so that Bruce doesn't have to do this anymore (ironic?)! It's what he lives for (again, ironic) and what he unknowingly has been waiting for. Now the time has come. "The switch Alfred." Alfred triggers the hidden switch inside of the Shakespearean bust to open the secret wall shelf revealing the access to the Batcave. Alfred wishes his master "good luck" as Bruce slides down the Batpoles.

Batman arrives in the Batcave, hops into the Batmobile... has to crank it a few times (lol) before the turbines ignite and Batman takes off looking for a crime... that doesn't exist!

Fortunately Batman's skills are still sharp and all of his crime fighting Bat-equiptment still works (save for that brief starting mishap). UNfortunately, nobody in Gotham knows who he is. The sight of a man in a costume driving a bad ass car is both cool and scary. Calls are made to the police station reporting a masked man climing up buildings. The reports make their way to Commisioner Barbara Gordon's office. While at first the reports seem rediculous she, starts to wonder... could it be... Batman? Acting on her hunch, she calls the one person to whom she can talk about such matters, Alfred!

Barbara explains her hunch to Alfred but, is hesitant to do anything because a) her police squad don't know anything about Batman and b) if it is Batman he surely must be on the trail of a major crime of some kind. Asking for advice she suggests that perhaps Batgirl should investigate (see? I didn't leave her out entirely). Alfred quickly dismisses the thought ensuring her that if such a crime does exist, her police force and the people will surely be needing the availability of their beloved police commisioner. Alfred then suggests checking to see if any super criminals have recently been released from prison. Barbara thanks Alfred for the advice before checking.

After hanging up the phone Barbara goes through the list of super criminals not in prison. There are a lot but, they've been quiet for years. There's no clue. She looks over and eyes the Batphone. Removing the cover she calls Batman for the first time as police commisioner.

Back at Wayne Manor, Alfred sees the Batphone starting to flash. Knowing who is on the other line... and who he just spoke to... his eyes are wide with trepidation. He finally answers in a hilarious uneducated voice sounding nothing like Alfred. "Oh! You must me the mysterious 'voice' my father often spoke about." says Miss Gordon. "The voice" assures Barbara that Batman knows what he's doing and the best thing she can do is to keep the streets clear for him.

(NOTE: CBR won't let me post it all. Continued in next post)
    Last edited by The Boss; 03-26-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Meanwhile, Batman continues his search for the nonexistent crime. Every wall that he climes, every dramatic entrance that he makes results in startled citizens but, he assures them that they have nothing to fear. A man in tights climbing walls and jumping through windows is simply routene police business. I'm not sure they fully believe him.

Back at Wayne Manor, Alfred calls the one person who might be able to help... Dick Grayson (via some Bat device that I never thought up but, Grayson still carried with him). Grayson returns to Wayne Manor to hear of the "terrible news" of Batman having no crime to solve. Dick decides that the only way to stop him is to go out and bring him back myself. Suddenly realizing that he forgot his Nightwing costume Dick decides that one more time won't hurt, for old times sake. Alfred again triggers the switch and Grayson slides down the Batpoles. As he slides down we can hear this loud echoing shout of pain. "YEOOOOOOOOWWWWW!"

"HOLY RESTRAINING DEVISES!" Robin shouts upon reaching the Batcave "I guess I've grown a bit since last time!" Taking the Batcycle Robin uses the Batmobile homing transmitter receiver to locate Batman's pressence. Batman is overwhelmed to see his old chum and invites him to join in on the chase. Robin tries to convince Batman that this is all a mistake but, Batman assures him that he feels evil thoughts in the air. Robin is unable to convince Batman to give up the chase. It is too important to him. He has waited too long. It's what he was destined to do. "Do you realize how boring is the life of a millionaire playboy? I MUST continue the chase." After Batman's emotional speech Robin relents. He can't take this away from Batman. Robin says that he may know where to find a clue and promises to hurry back.

Robin arrives at police headquarters to talk to Comissioner Barbara Gordon. He confirms that the Dynamic Duo are on a... um, lead but, he needs a clue. Barbara gives Robin a list of super criminals who are currently free and their last known whereabouts. It's a long list but, Robin insists that it's just what he needs. He thanks Barbara and leaves.

Robin decides that the only way to help Batman is to CREATE a crime for him to solve. Enlisting the help of Joker (Cesar Romero), Riddler (Frank Gorshin), Penguin (Burgess Meredith) Catwoman (Julie Newmar) and Egghead (Vincent Price) they all scheme together to create a phoney crime for Batman to solve. "Why, it will be just like old times!"

After the villains are "subdued". Bruce and Dick relax in Wayne Manor as Bruce reflects on that what just what he needed. Meanwhile the criminals are becoming restless. After all, did they not just prove that they still have what it takes? Why are they allowing themselves to rot away? The five of them have the opportunity to commit the crime of the century! HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Meanwhile, back at Wayne Manor, Bruce and Dick are enjoying some refreshments brought in by Alfred as they watch the idiot box...er, I mean the evening news. Suddenly a breaking story begins to tell the tale of a huge crime wave. A photo was taken at the crime scene showing Joker, Penguin, Egghead, Catwoman and Riddler.

"How can that be?" asks Bruce. "We just apprehended them." Dick is forced to admit that it was all a hoax. It was the only way to get Bruce off the streets. Even Commisioner Barbara Gordon was in on it at the end Bruce is crushed but, only for a moment. "It seems that your charitable act has resulted in a new crime spree. The likes of which have never before been seen!" As Bruce says this a smile returns to his face. "And we are the public's only hope! There's no time to lose... TO THE BATPOLES!!"

They race to the study, the Batphone rings, Bruce quickly answers it stating simply, "There's no need to explain Commisioner, we're already on our way!" Dick flips the switch, the door opens, they head for the Batpoles... but Grayson stops. "Holy hot pants! Not again!" Bruce smirks. "Having costume problems old chum? Why didn't you simply trigger the automatic size adjusting batcostume tailoring switch?" (as if everyone has one of those) "It must have slipped my mind, sir." says Alfred. "You installed an automatic size adjusting batcostume tailoring switch?" asks Grayson to which Bruce replies, "Hey, It's the 80s... DICK!" (did Bruce just call him a... oh, that's his name lol)

They slide down the Batpoles (I considered Grayson's "adjusted" costume to be that of Nightwing but, I have always preferred him as Robin) and stop the crime... this time for real... climaxing in a huge Batfight complete with all of your favorite onamonapias.

Was it perfect? No. But please keep in mind that I was only 13. I think I was pretty creative. Year's later I looked back at this and thought that it might make for a great special (elongated) addition of the Batman '66 comics. That 20th anniversary reunion movie that we never got despite how popular the show was at the time. While originally I simply called it the "Batman reunion" today I would call it, "The Bright Knight Returns!"

As you may have read in my earlier post, I proposed that 9 DC do a run of Legends of the Superheroes comics featuring the Batman '66 Justice League years in the 70s. I would also propose a semi regular release of "The Bright Knight Returns" adventures that include the mid to late 80s (even including the slight variation of his costume for the sake of real time accuracy) so that ALL of Adam West's years appearing as Batman are included in the official Batman '66 canon.

One thing that I didn't take into consideration back then was an actor's willingness to lose weight for a role. In my family (at least to a child's eyes back then), once someone put on weight they were that way for life. lol

Looking back I see that had Yvonne Craig been willing to shed a few pounds (it wouldn't have needed to be much) She could have made an appearance as Batgirl for the finally. I think that would have been a huge plus that would have made the film (had it been made) more memorable.

Here's another change I would make today. Well, not so much of a change as an addition. Even as a young boy I recognized the importance of story over action. If you have a good story, the action can be used as filler to augment the story rather than be the center piece as with so many movies of today.

You may have noticed that my treatment contains no action instead focussing on story. I did leave places for action to be added feeling that the action mattered less. Today - being more detailed oriented - I would be sure that I added death traps as they were very important to the series. While I have yet to devise what kind of death traps, I do know where they would go. The first would be when Robin seeks the assistance of the arch villains. Going to the "holdout of washed up arch villains" (much simpler and Batman '66-esk than having the villains living normal lives) he immediately falls into a spring trap. Once he finds himself in the predicament is when we would be first introduced to the villains. This would also serve to show that Robin is more mature as he is for once able to get out of a death trap without the aid of Batman.

The second would be when Batman and Robin go out for the final time to round up the real crime. This is where Batgirl would make her appearance to rescue the Dynamic Duo and join them in the finally.
    930001-549359863.jpg
    Last edited by The Boss; 03-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.

While I originally wrote this as a treatment for a made for TV reunion movie I could see it being used as the first installment for the third series of Batman '66 comics. The first being "Batman '66"/"Batman '66 Meet..." and the second being my proposed "Legends of the Superheroes" series. This run of Bruce Wayne would stretch from 1986-1990 (when Adam West stopped appearing in costume) but, would also allow for sporatic team up issues all the way through 1996 (when Adam appeared before the camera in full Batcostume for the final time).

The main period (1986-1990) would see Adam West (and Burt Ward) depicted in the same costumes that they wore from that period.
    930001-549359863.jpg
    The sporadic appearances after that however would depict Adam appearing in his final Batman outfit.
    file-1.jpeg
    allmybestAWest copy.jpg
    This will be done both for real time continuity as well as to separate Batman's final run with later sporadic appearances. Plus I just like the idea of capturing every aspect of Adam West's Batman career and incorporating it into the Batman '66 comics.

Like the 66 and LOTS series, The Bright Knight Returns series offers a lot of opportunities for cross overs with shows and films at the time with the most obvious one being The Flash (1990) Staring John Wesley Shipp. Christopher Reeves Superman can also make an appearance as his films continued all the way through 1987. However, none of the Batman films should be referenced in any way. There is only one Batman and that is Adam West. No cross universes in my version.

There are even more Marvel cross over potentials. Of course the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno Incredible Hulk TV Movies continued until 1990 so they could make an appearence. Those movies also gave us our first live action apearance of Thor (Eric Allan Kramer) and Daredevil (Rex Smith) both of whom could be used.

Other potential Marvel cross overs include Howard The Duck (1986), The Punisher (1989), Captain America (1990) and The Fantastic Four (1994).

Not to mention other iconic shows/movies of the period that would lead itself to potential crossovers such as Knight Rider (1982-1986), The A-Team (1983-1987), Airwolf (1984-1987), The Terminator (film series) and so many more possibilities.

"Talk Is Cheap"/
    "So Shall Ye Reap"

If DC Comics ever decides to bring back the Batman '66 comics here's a concept that I would submit. I wanted to take a shot at creating an original villain (much like Egghead and King Tut) that features the likeness of a star from the period which could have conceivably actually happened during the run of the TV series. I wrote a Christmas episode: "Talk Is Cheap"/"So Shall Ye Reap" that featured a villain known as "The Cheapskate".

The "Skinflint of Skullduggery" (as Chief O'Hara calls him) is a big business tycoon who tries to monopolize all retail business by putting out low priced goods that other companies cannot compete with. Someone would ask, "Why would you buy something like that? Everybody already has one of those." To which the shopper would respond, "Ah, but not at THESE prices." lol

The crime? All of the goods are cheap shoddy products that intentionally fall apart (or "expire") early on thus forcing people to by more of his product since other businesses have closed.

I pictured (like likeness of) Jack Benny - who was known for always portraying a penny pinching cheapskate throughout his career - as "The Cheapskate".
    tumblr_inline_ovni4splYk1rvl0vd_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_ovni9cte341rvl0vd_1280.jpg

As part of his character The Cheapskate regularly quotes proverbs about the value of money. For example, when complaining about the quality of his henchmen he might say, "Sadly there can be no rise in the value of labor without a fall in profit." Or the classic line, "I buy expensive suits, they just look cheap on me." Followed by a classic Benny deadpan expression. His underground hideout would naturally be called "The Bargain Basement".

The death trap is to simply have the Caped Crusaders tied up while watching one of The Cheapskate's newest products (one that the public will be unable to do without once unveiled), fall apart right before their eyes! Once the citizens of Gotham have these in their possesion they will quickly expire and destroy everyone just as one is about to do to the Dynamic Duo in just a few seconds! Before being left alone to their fate Batman asks the Cheapskate why he would bring harm to so many for something as insignificant as profit. "After all..." He says, "...it's only money." to which the Cheapskate shutters at the mere suggestion. "Can it be? Our heroes to be done in, in the cheapest way possible? How can they possibly escape? Who's going to warn the shoppers? Do you have any coupons? Tune in Tomorrow. Same Cheap Time - Same Cheap Channel!"

I wrote it as a Christmas episode so that The Cheapskate could take advantage of the high shopping season to both sell as many of his products as possible while also ruining the peaks sales season for competitive business which would now be forced to shut down leaving The Cheapskate with several monopolies if the Caped Crusaders are unable to thwart his evil crime. Also because the series never had a Christmas themed episode.

I also wanted to have gags throughout the episodes showing how anything and everything that The Cheapskate puts out could expire at just the wrong time. For example, some random item - completely unrelated to the story - might explode or collapse out of the blue causing a distraction and allowing the villains to get away. Batman would then look at the "made by" tag to realize that it was a Cheapskate product. One scene in particular that probably wouldn't have made it to air (at least not in the 60s but, easily today) but, would have been perfect for Adam West's delivery style would have seen the Dynamic Duo enter Commisioner Gordon's office only to find out that the poor Comissioner is trapped in the wash room with no tissue paper. "Thank Heavens you got here Caped Crusader!" (Holy dire emergency! lol) Batman is informed that their is another package in the Commissioner's desk. Batman retrieves it, takes a good look at it and pauses. "Hurry Batman! Give it to the Commisioner!" says the paranoid Robin. "I can't." says Batman (in Adam's classic slow, ultra series low key delivery) "It's... EXPIRED!"

Expired toilet paper! HAHAHAHAHA!

In the end The Cheapskate would succumb to his own cheapness as his plot falls apart faster than one of his shoddy products. "I knew I should have gone with the name brand. They're just so danged expensive!" says The Cheapskate to which Batman replays with an old money proverb of his own, "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. And now you're about to pay the price for your evil ways. You should know that crime doesn't pay!"

Back at Wayne Manor, Aunt Harriet shows off her latest purchase and it didn't come cheap. Dick Grayson can't understand how somebody would spend so much for it to which Bruce replies "Come now Dick. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value." "Gosh yes Bruce. When you put it that way I guess the wise man is he who knows the true value in everything."
    93064af1f835ab29b08c0e9b6b2c5e56--jack-oconnell-jack-benny.jpg
    Last edited by The Boss; 03-31-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Today's treatment was not originally meant to be a comic book but rather a third Batman '66 animated feature. Still, after the passing of Adam West I could see this as a Batman '66 comic. It was that good!

"Tails Of The Catwoman"
    BRCC018163-580x326.jpg
    Before the passing of Adam West I came up with my own idea for a third animated film. Since now there is no chance of it becoming a reality I thought I would share it here.

Since it seemed that Warner Bros. intended to use Julie Newmar (thus Catwoman) in every film I tried to come up with a different way to use the character.

I would start with a female reporter going into Gotham State Prison to interview Catwoman on her career in crime. Catwoman tells the reporter of several of her confrontations with Batman. As she tells the story we fade to the adventure. During the adventure we will still hear narration by the reporter asking questions (e.g. "And then what happened?") followed by a wisecrack by Julie.

At the conclussion of the adventure we return to the prison. The reporter askes about another crime, as Julie begins to tell the tale a new adventure begins. But this time Catwoman looks like and is voiced by Lee Meriwether yet the natration continues to be provided by Newmar as if she has no idea that Catwoman appears different on screen.

Each time we go to a new adventue Catwoman appears different. First it's Julie, then Lee, back to Julie and finally Eartha Kitt (impersonated) to represent the changes in the series. Depending how long the adventures are they might even include one final crime with Julie to represent her return to the role in the animated films.

Throughout all of this however Julie is always providing narration in 1st person saying things like, "I did this" or "...then I..." as if all of these stories were her. Neither she, Batman and Robin nor anyone else gives any indication that there is more than one Catwoman (since all actresses were portraying the same character) and everytime we return to prison we are back to Julie's Catwoman.

Finally at the conclusion of the interview the reporter states that despite her choice of "careers" Catwoman must be commended on her resourcefulness and resilience to be able to go toe to toe with the Dynamic Duo as fiercely and frequently as she has. As the reporter exist the cell and the gaurd locks the door she stops and says to Catwoman, "You know? If a person didn't know better one might almost think there were three of you." As the reporter leaves Catwoman (who was staring out of her window at the night sky) looks back over her shoulder with a sly grin (extreme close up) and says (in Eartha Kitt's voice), "Purrrrrrrrrrr-haps!"

We see the reporter exit the penitentiary when she suddenly realizes Catwoman's last comment and asks, "Huh?". Suddenly the alarm goes off! "CATWOMAN HAS ESCAPED!" yells Chief O'Hara. The Batsignal flashes over the Gotham skyline as Catwoman is seen running across the rooftops at a distance and Lee Meriwether's trademark meow is heard in the background as we fade to black and go to credits.

I think that this would have been a great way to give credit to all three catwoman while remaining true to the fact that all three actresses were intended to play the same character. What do you think?
    Last edited by The Boss; 04-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.

All-New Member

I too enjoy BATMAN 66. I feel that it is how all areas of BATMAN should be measured. I really hope that the animation of 66 will continue. I realize the passing of Adam West will be a struggle, however I feel it would be accepted via the fan public.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
    Before I post my next treatment I want to establish my vision of how (and why) to adapt Legends of the Superheroes to comics.

"Legends Of The Superheroes"
    20171229_021803.jpg

As a fan of Legends of the Superheroes (LOTS), I've always considered it canon to the TV series but, with the publication of the Batman '66 comics I have felt that DC should officially make the LOTS specials canon to the Batman '66 line. "Why?" you may be asking. For several reasons.

First is the chance to have Adam West's own version of the Justice League of America. LOTS is a more lighthearted version which fits better with the Adam West, Bright Knight rendition. Unlike the comic Batman, LOTS shows that Adam West's Batman has actually gotten happier as he gets older (as opposed to angrier and darker as in the comics) and enjoys his chosen life of crime fighting. So the Legends of the Superheroes comics should be more lighthearted than Batman '66. While we still don't want the comics to feel like the variety show of the specials, I would have it feel like the third season of the Batman TV series which would still allow plenty of room for laughs while also enable a hint of drama. Laughs first with action added.

Second is the potential for more pair ups. We have already seen several great pair ups of other 60s shows with the "Batman '66 Meets..." series. By including LOTS, we can expand that to include series and movies of the 70s and even stretch it into the early 80s as well.

Third is that the seeds for making it canon were already (if unintentionally) planted in "Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77" during which Wonder Woman coaxed Bruce Wayne out of retirement in 1977 and closes with a comment about forming a league of some kind. Well, LOTS accurs right after that, Adam West does indeed come out of retirement to return as Batman and does form a superhero league. While Wonder Woman wasn't part of LOTS, she was in action at the time on her own show. It could easily be said that she was part of the group but, was simply on another mission at the time of the LOTS adventures. In fact, the same thing could be said for Christopher Reeve's Superman who was on the big screen at the time. So making LOTS canon also gives an opportunity to team Adam West and Christopher Reeve.

Fourth would be for licensing. While Warner Bros. currently has a deal worked out with 20th Century Fox, what's going to happen when Disney buys them out? Is the deal strong enough to withstand the buyout or is it a fragile deal that could be easily broken? By switching to LOTS, WB will own everything. The characters, the title, the sets, the variation of the looks of the costumes/Batmobile etc. There will be no fear of copywriter issues.

Fifth is the expansion of the Adam West universe. No longer will it be relegated to a two and a half year time frame. It can now be expanded to the early 80s and beyond. Yes, I even have plans for beyond LOTS. Stay tuned.

To ensure that Batman remains the focus of this series (should it ever happen) I would format it like this; instead of being a unified group constantly working together (as in JLA or even Super Friends), the Superheroes will work independently in their own territory only coming together during times of dire emergency... or if Ed McMahon offers to host a celebrity roast in their honor. lol This way not every superhero has to be part of every story (thus explaining Superman's and Wonder Woman's absence in the LOTS specials) but, every story should involve Batman and Robin. Even Dick Grayson will be out on his own as Nightwing but, when he is called to re-unite he willingly goes back to being Robin The Boy Wonder because Batman and Robin are a team. And because it will be funny watching him going from a man to portraying a boy just for the sake of public expectations. lol

It was established in "The Challenge" episode that the "Hall of Heroes" was located within a wing of the Batcave (perhaps added after the '66 series) as the superheroes were all seen exiting the same cave entrance used in the series. Plus the interior of the HoH was made to look like a cave. So, it only makes sense for Batman to be the unofficial leader and therefore be involved in every story.

There should be five kinds of basic plots. 1) A story involving multiple Superheroes stopping a major plot by the villains. 2) A story where Batman is the focus with another hero helping. 3) A story that focusses on another hero with Batman and Robin helping. 4)A story that begins in another hero's territory but, when the crime gets too big a call is made to the Batcave where Batman contacts another hero and sends them to help while staying in contact and offering access to the Batcomputer. 5) A crossover episode featuring a character from a 70s/early 80s show (such as the Six Million Dollar Man, Isis or The Greatest American Hero) and movies (like Swamp thing). As often as possible all characters should reflect the character how he/she was depicted on film at the time as if we the actual crossover took place between the shows at the time.

Like with the Batman '66 comics, DC should use the likenesses of as many of the LOTS cast as they can get the rights to. For characters not used in LOTS or Batman '66 they should "cast" the likeness of an actor from that period in the role.

Also, since Gary Owens was the narrator of LOTS and best known as the voice of Space Ghost, all of the comic narration should include an image of Space Ghost (a Superhero himself) in the corner by the text as if he was doing the narration. This would allow the inclusion of Owens as well in a unique way that also includes Hanna Barbara (the producers of the LOTS specials) while keeping it Superhero oriented.

I know that not everyone likes LOTS but, if done with more emphasis on Batman '66 and expanding the Adam West (not to mention ALL of the DC real world/media era) I feel that this could not only work on it's own But also help to increase he fan base of Batman '66 as it will expand the brand beyond the few years of footage that we have much like the Batman'66 digital comics have done.

Since it was already established in the Batman TV series that a character can be recast without explination it would be fun to switch Captain Marvel from adventure to adventure to feature the likeness of either Garrett Craig (from LOTS), Jackson Bostwick (Shazam! season 1) and John Davey (Shazam! seasons 2 & 3).

For the sake of real time continuity I would be sure to true to the costumes that were utilized in the LOTS specials. Yes, that even includes Batman's "gila" cowl although it would be drawn as a bit more form fitting (as in the attached picture by Alex Ross) while clearly being worn outside of the cape. Also, the face of the cowl will be drawn to resemble it as it appeared in the LOTS specials with the raised eyebrows, lines only on the side of the nose and no black on the face. Again, this would be done for the sake of real time continuity as Batman's costume should always resemble the one that Adam West actually wore during that period of time. Likewise the Batmobile should be drawn to resemble how it appeared at the time complete with flocking (as it appeared in the LOTS specials). If Batman can change his look in the comics over the years then so can Batman '66.

Since this is only fan fiction I also plan on doing Marvel crossovers with Spider-Man (Nicholas Hammond), Captain America (Reb Brown), Dr. Strange (Peter Hooten) and of course The Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno). There is so much that can be done with Batman '66 beyond the 60s. I really want to tap into that all but unexplored area.
    I like this story, by the way i am from Facebook Nikola Majstorovic continue stories when you want dude and write them publicly here us all to see

I don't know will DC and Marvel work together but if you write story i will read it

Do you think Batman 1966 Hoogan's Heroes window cameo make sense? Anybody else who read this can also reply
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-26-2021 at 06:05 AM.