Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Price increase on some DC titles as of June

According to Bleeding Cool... https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03...-99-3-99-june/

...a number of books (Aquaman, Justice League, Nightwing, Suicide Squad) will end bi-weekly runs and become monthly with an increase in cover price from $2.99 to $3.99. In addition, some of the remaining bi-weekly books will also increase from $2.99 to $3.99 but they don't indicate which ones. The New Age of DC Heroes books will remain at $2.99 though.

from the article...

In June, Nightwing and Suicide Squad will be joining Aquaman switching from twice-monthly to monthly — and as a result get the price rise from $2.99 to $3.99.

It’s worth noting that it seems that originally the plan for DC Comics was that the twice-monthly schedule at DC Comics was only meant to last a year, but its success saw DC Comics extend that, now heading into its third year. Some books have dropped out, for a variety of reasons.

Surviving as twice-monthly titles now are Batman, Detective Comics, The Flash, Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps, Harley Quinn, Injustice 2, and Wonder Woman.

But it’s notable that some twice-monthly or weekly titles for June are now $3.99 including the new Justice League series, as well as Man of Steel.
    It seems $2.99 is becoming a rarer price point and I wonder how long until it disappears altogether.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Well, Bleeding Cool are idiots and have their facts all wrong. Aquaman has been 3.99 monthly, Nightwing goes that way in May, Suicide Squad in June, and JL is bi-weekly at 3.99, at least at the start.

But, it is troubling and makes me feel like I will be dropping more DC titles soon. I have been buying almost all of the 2.99 bi-weekly books (only dropped Flash and Hal & GLC), but I guess I'm gonna make some more cuts. I just don't like 3.99 comics as much as I like 2.99 comics.

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    Well, Bleeding Cool are idiots and have their facts all wrong. Aquaman has been 3.99 monthly, . . .
    Actually, blame MRP.

The section he included said
    In June, Nightwing and Suicide Squad will be joining Aquaman switching from twice-monthly to monthly — and as a result get the price rise from $2.99 to $3.99.
    So it sounds like Bleeding Cool wasn't the one saying that Aquaman was still currently being published bi-weekly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    Well, Bleeding Cool are idiots and have their facts all wrong. Aquaman has been 3.99 monthly, Nightwing goes that way in May, Suicide Squad in June, and JL is bi-weekly at 3.99, at least at the start.

But, it is troubling and makes me feel like I will be dropping more DC titles soon. I have been buying almost all of the 2.99 bi-weekly books (only dropped Flash and Hal & GLC), but I guess I'm gonna make some more cuts. I just don't like 3.99 comics as much as I like 2.99 comics.
    You need to get on board with this.

http://community.comicbookresources....s-on-newsprint

Spectacular Member

Higher price points are another reason why DC and Marvel should move away from line-wide events and keep every book within its own storyline/continuity. Line-wide continuity should be loose -- just enough to remind you that it's all one universe, but without pushing you to buy a title you don't normally read in order to follow a story.

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    Higher price points are another reason why DC and Marvel should move away from line-wide events and keep every book within its own storyline/continuity. Line-wide continuity should be loose -- just enough to remind you that it's all one universe, but without pushing you to buy a title you don't normally read in order to follow a story.
    Agreed. It irks the shit out of me when a temporary status quo is meaningless referenced in another title. It needlessly dates the story. I know these all take place in the same universe, but that doesn't mean that I have to have BunnyBats come in and ensure that my Batgirl story doesn't make sense to a reader in two or three years.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I don't mind a $3.99 price tag on a book that comes out once a month but this effectively end my thoughts on actually buying the new JL title now. I might pay $2.99 twice a month for a Scott Snyder JL book but no way in heck will I pay $3.99 for it. So this one will be in the Hoopla trade wait pile instead of the buying pile for me. I was on the fence about buying the Man of Steel mini and now I'll be skipping that as well.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I don't mind a $3.99 price tag on a book that comes out once a month but this effectively end my thoughts on actually buying the new JL title now. I might pay $2.99 twice a month for a Scott Snyder JL book but no way in heck will I pay $3.99 for it. So this one will be in the Hoopla trade wait pile instead of the buying pile for me. I was on the fence about buying the Man of Steel mini and now I'll be skipping that as well.
    cough! = trade wait! = cough!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Same for me about JL, I would have preferred it to just be monthly but the current 2.99/twice a month wouldn't have killed me either. Honestly kinda happy about Nightwing going to monthly, I really wouldn't have a problem if everything went back to monthly. At least DC is consistent about which titles are and are not monthly.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Is Snyder's Justice League going to stay $3.99/biweekly? Or is it just the first issue(s)?

$8 a month for one title is pushing it.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

I wish both companies make an agreement on pricing.
    $3.99 is wrong.
    recently i just learned that Metropolitan Museum in New York is now $20 for visitors (it was on pay as much as you want system before). As a New Yorker, I wanted to scream when I heard about this idiotic change.
    The world is an expensive place for culture and entertainment.
    Not all the readers have enough money to enjoy their favorite comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    I wish both companies make an agreement on pricing.
    $3.99 is wrong.
    recently i just learned that Metropolitan Museum in New York is now $20 for visitors (it was on pay as much as you want system before). As a New Yorker, I wanted to scream when I heard about this idiotic change.
    The world is an expensive place for culture and entertainment.
    Not all the readers have enough money to enjoy their favorite comics.
    I don't think it would be legal for DC and Marvel to do that. Not unless Disney buys DC Entertainment, which could possibly happen.

The only way to get the prices of floppies down is to print them on newspirnt instead of on expensive paper. A large majority of the people in both this forum and the Marvel forum have voted in favor of that, in two polls I've posted. It really needs to happen.

Three dollars and ninety-nine cents for a decompressed comic book might have some snob appeal but is just not reasonable.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-21-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    So true! Just makes everything so convoluted and drawn-out, too. I also don't think they all need to be in the same universe.Some, yes.

3.99 for a book that comes out twice a month is just ridiculous. Wth DC?
    Tradewait it is.

BANNED

Switching to newsprint is not just necessary but urgent. The company that does it first will gain a big competitive advantage over the company that has to do it in response.

The tipping point for exorbitant comics prices has arrived. DC needs to recognize that before Marvel does.