Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    A large majority of the people in both this forum and the Marvel forum have voted in favor of that, in two polls I've posted. It really needs to happen.
    A reasonable majority of people voted that they would buy $2 newsprint comics over $4 glossy comics, but the majority of the people who commented pointed out that they don't actually believe that that choice really exists as going to newsprint would not reduce costs for Marvel and DC enough - so it's moot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    A reasonable majority of people voted that they would buy $2 newsprint comics over $4 glossy comics, but the majority of the people who commented pointed out that they don't actually believe that that choice really exists as going to newsprint would not reduce costs for Marvel and DC enough - so it's moot.
    Over objections from you and a few other people, I explained thoroughly in those threads why it IS possible.

It's a good idea, and most people like it and want to see it done.

People hate these price increases. If you have an idea about how to get the prices of floppies down while keeping them on fancy paper, then let's hear it.

And don't forget that the trades would still be published on fancy paper.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-21-2018 at 05:47 AM.

I still don't understand how you think that the cost of 10 pieces of paper amounts to more than a third the cost of a comic compared to the costs of paying worthwhile salaries to writers, pencillers, inkers, colorers, letterers, and multiple editors for each issue while also ensuring that both Diamond and comic shops have room to make a profit and the cost of shipping, etc.. That's where your cost is coming from.

The cheapest way to put put a comic will be digitally, especially if DC can break free of Comicology.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I still don't understand how you think that the cost of 10 pieces of paper amounts to more than a third the cost of a comic compared to the costs of paying worthwhile salaries to writers, pencillers, inkers, colorers, letterers, and multiple editors for each issue while also ensuring that both Diamond and comic shops have room to make a profit and the cost of shipping, etc.. That's where your cost is coming from.

The cheapest way to put put a comic will be digitally, especially if DC can break free of Comicology.
    You didn't read the threads. Alterna Comics is already doing it.

And the total overhead for writers and artists is not as high as you might think. Top pay for a writer is $200 per page and top pay for a penciller is $600 per page. Many make less.

Digital comics is the revolution that's always coming but never arrives. If it gets here, then it does. But the comics companies have to get the prices of their floppies down now.

You didn't read the threads. Alterna Comics is already doing it.

And the total overhead for writers and artists is not as high as you might think. Top pay for a writer is $200 per page and top pay for a penciller is $600 per page. Many make less.

Digital comics is the revolution that's always coming but never arrives. If it gets here, then it does. But the comics companies have to get the prices of their floppies down now.
    Trey, we are really trying, but you fail to realize that Alterna pays $0 for page rates. Their website says so.

https://www.alternacomics.com/submit-your-comic

Also, the page rates Marvel and DC do pay come out of the money they get for a book which is about half of cover price. Multiply the raytes by 20, add in other creators and a cover, possibly variants, and then you'd actually see this is NOT an economically viable solution.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, this caused me to move to, at best, trade waiting with Justice League. I'm still deciding about Man of Steel as that is only for a month (though who knows about the Superman titles after that) and the artists on it are pretty much worth the price of admission alone.

But enough of this nonsense about newsprint. Mark Waid explained during him time as EIC of Boom, I believe, that not only would changing to newsprint not be cheaper, it may even be more expensive. I don't know if he was talking about really low quality, newspaper-level paper but who wants to read comics on paper that doesn't do the art or colours justice. Honestly, though, considering just how bad the paper quality is of the Big 2's comics anyway - though Marvel way more than DC - I really can't imagine that printing costs is the main part of their budget anyway. Marvel's comics still costs as much or more than those coming from Image, Dark Horse, IDW or Boom despite being printed on significantly crappier paper than just about any indie publisher you could name.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Pretty sure sure (fingers crossed!) that I read somewhere that Superman and Action Comics will each be monthly after the Man of Steel mini wraps...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The only way to get the prices of floppies down is to print them on newspirnt instead of on expensive paper. A large majority of the people in both this forum and the Marvel forum have voted in favor of that, in two polls I've posted. It really needs to happen.

Three dollars and ninety-nine cents for a decompressed comic book might have some snob appeal but is just not reasonable.
    Switching to newsprint is not just necessary but urgent. The company that does it first will gain a big competitive advantage over the company that has to do it in response.

The tipping point for exorbitant comics prices has arrived. DC needs to recognize that before Marvel does.
    As others keep pointing out, many readers would like to pay less for paper comic books.

BUT, what you keep ignoring, is the fact that you claim DC could easily reduce the price just by switching paper stock without providing substantial proof verified by anyone who has actual knowledge of DC's expenses! Your only "proof" is a company with limited distribution of their newsprint comic books that may or may not have ever been seen by people here.
    Do any Alterna titles even show up on the Diamond Top 300 comic book charts?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As others keep pointing out, many readers would like to pay less for paper comic books.

BUT, what you keep ignoring, is the fact that you claim DC could easily reduce the price just by switching paper stock without providing substantial proof verified by anyone who has actual knowledge of DC's expenses! Your only "proof" is a company with limited distribution of their newsprint comic books that may or may not have ever been seen by people here.
    Do any Alterna titles even show up on the Diamond Top 300 comic book charts?
    Yes, you are confused. DC has a competitive advantage over a small company like Alterna. Not a competitive disadvantage. It's called an economy of scale. The more units you produce, the lower the cost per unit for you. You're claiming that because Alterna prints and sells fewer copies, it has the advantage in per unit costs, but in fact DC and Marvel have the advantage there.

Yes, I know that Alterna pays its writers and artists based on how many copies they sell, which might not be anything, while DC pays them a page rate. But I just explained that the total amount DC and Marvel pay their writers and editors is not a large percentage of their comics revenues. So stop saying, "But how will DC pay its writers and artists?"

I'll say the same thing to you that I said to dancj.

If you don't like my idea for getting the price of floppies down, or if you just refuse to believe it, then let's hear your idea.

That is, unless you like paying $3.99 for floppies printed on fancy paper. Maybe you and a few other people do.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-21-2018 at 08:41 AM.

. . . I'll say the same thing to you that I said to dancj.

If you don't like my idea for getting the price of floppies down, or if you just refuse to believe it, then let's hear your idea.
    Sort of difficult to do unless we're aware of ALL the costs involved in producing DC comic books. It's not just the writer(s)/artist(s)/editor(s)/paper stock. There are many behind-the-scenes people never credited on the story itself who are an integral part of producing a comic book for a company like DC comics.
    By the way, have you ever visited DC's offices and had a tour of all the departments/people involved in producing the comic books? I know many years ago (back in the 1980s) when I interviewed at Marvel Comics for a job (sort of as a long-shot; I wasn't desperately trying to really break into the business) that was more on the behind-the-scenes side (I had previously spent about a year working for a small advertising agency in NJ), there was quite a bit more involved in trying to keep all the different titles on schedule so they would hopefully be published on time.
    By the way, what exactly is your professional experience with comic book production that allows you to confidently say how just by switching paper stock DC could easily cut their cover prices in half?

BANNED

It's happening. DC can get on board or miss the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2P43kuW2zA

It's happening. DC can get on board or miss the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2P43kuW2zA
    Everything aside, why do you think that DC or Marvel would reduce their price to $1 or $2 per issue if they decided to print comics on newsprint? There is no direct competition that would force their hand to do so. If printing on newsprint saves the companies money, wouldn't keeping their price points lead to overall higher profits?
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

This really does p*ss me off. I use Comixology because I don't live anywhere near a comic shop. The one time I tried mail order from Forbidden Planet was a disaster. There is no reason the digital versions should be the same price as the floppies.

Disappointed that Nightwing is going monthly and getting a price hike, couldn't DC cushion the blow a little?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Aquaman already went monthly.

I'd GLADLY pay a dollar more if that could mean no more ads and give the creative team a pay raise.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-21-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Disappointed that Nightwing is going monthly and getting a price hike, couldn't DC cushion the blow a little?
    When I look at today's price hikes, I think back to my meltdown of 1994 when they jumped from $1.25 to $1.50... and I just smile.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES