Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm going to check out JL because I like Snyder but if it remains $3.99 after the first couple of issues, I might have to bow out, especially if it remains bi-monthly.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    When I look at today's price hikes, I think back to my meltdown of 1994 when they jumped from $1.25 to $1.50... and I just smile.
    20 to 25 cents really got to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    This really does p*ss me off. I use Comixology because I don't live anywhere near a comic shop. The one time I tried mail order from Forbidden Planet was a disaster. There is no reason the digital versions should be the same price as the floppies.
    There's a very good reason: is DC making more money off of overall comic book sales through comic book shops or through digital sites like Comixology?

If DC (and/or Marvel) alienate comic book shops by offering cheaper digital versions immediately (rather than after a few months or whatever), how many comic book shops are going to dramatically reduce their guaranteed income orders? What else would they stop selling at comic book shops that DC won't be able to make up for with digital sales?

I don't think DC is quite ready to kick brick-and-mortar comic book shops to the curb and focus on primarily digital sales for single-issue comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's happening. DC can get on board or miss the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2P43kuW2zA
    I don't watch youtube videos. Does this actually have anything legitimate to prove Trey's point of what can be done by DC?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't watch youtube videos. Does this actually have anything legitimate to prove Trey's point of what can be done by DC?
    No. (10 char)

This is why I've decided to trade wait; the prices for single issues are just crazy nowadays.

There's a very good reason: is DC making more money off of overall comic book sales through comic book shops or through digital sites like Comixology?

If DC (and/or Marvel) alienate comic book shops by offering cheaper digital versions immediately (rather than after a few months or whatever), how many comic book shops are going to dramatically reduce their guaranteed income orders? What else would they stop selling at comic book shops that DC won't be able to make up for with digital sales?

I don't think DC is quite ready to kick brick-and-mortar comic book shops to the curb and focus on primarily digital sales for single-issue comic books.
    I get what you're saying but I don't have to like it It makes sense from a business point of view but as a digital customer I don't appreciate paying the same amount as a customer buying a physical copy, there should be a reduction in price considering it takes less materials and transporting/shipping isn't an issue

I get what you're saying but I don't have to like it It makes sense from a business point of view but as a digital customer I don't appreciate paying the same amount as a customer buying a physical copy, there should be a reduction in price considering it takes less materials and transporting/shipping isn't an issue
    It's not a case of what you like. It's what DC has to do to make the money so they don't go out of business.

BANNED

One fellow was arguing in one of those polls that because DC prints many more comics, it needs to charge more PER ISSUE than Alterna does. No! It doesn't need to charge AS MUCH per issue!

Anyway, let Alterna's publisher tell you how it works.

"So why was the search (for a printer) so difficult? Newsprint is a really thin paper and because of that, it's only printed on a web press. Web press printing is generally only affordable once you hit a range in the tens of thousands, while traditional offset printing can take thicker, premium paper stocks at minimum runs of 500 to 1000. The small runs are more appealing to comic publishers sadly due to the fact that the current distribution system can make it hard at times to sell more than that. Comic books just aren't everywhere like they used to be and the fact that merchandise is sold on a non-returnable basis to retailers means that your local comic shop has to be very choosy with the books they stock on their shelves. It leaves a lot of purchasing up to speculation and the harsh reality is that the average Marvel or DC title is just less of a risk than the average independent comic. So for whatever reason, when it came to newsprint, I decided to reach out to grocery store circular printers, catalog printers, magazine printers, and local town paper printers - we ended up finding a few printers that could do exactly what we needed. It's ironic that we had to look outside traditional comic book printing companies to find a printer that could print a traditional comic book."

"Why the low cover price of $1.50 an issue? Can that last? It absolutely will as we found that printing costs on newsprint are about 3 times less for these runs, so we're passing on those savings to retailers and readers. We're also selling very affordable advertising to support the runs of these books and we're allowing other comic creators and publishers to advertise as well -- another break from the traditional in-house only ads of most modern comics. "

BANNED

Kinda lame because the $2.99 pricing was one of DC's biggest selling points when they unveiled Rebirth

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Kinda lame because the $2.99 pricing was one of DC's biggest selling points when they unveiled Rebirth
    The $2.99 pricing from DC dates back to even before the New52. When did other competitive comic book companies (I don't count Alterna in that group) last offer $2.99 comic books?

One fellow was arguing in one of those polls that because DC prints many more comics, it needs to charge more PER ISSUE than Alterna does. No! It doesn't need to charge AS MUCH per issue!

"So why was the search (for a printer) so difficult? Newsprint is a really thin paper and because of that, it's only printed on a web press. Web press printing is generally only affordable once you hit a range in the tens of thousands, while traditional offset printing can take thicker, premium paper stocks at minimum runs of 500 to 1000. The small runs are more appealing to comic publishers sadly due to the fact that the current distribution system can make it hard at times to sell more than that. Comic books just aren't everywhere like they used to be and the fact that merchandise is sold on a non-returnable basis to retailers means that your local comic shop has to be very choosy with the books they stock on their shelves. It leaves a lot of purchasing up to speculation and the harsh reality is that the average Marvel or DC title is just less of a risk than the average independent comic. So for whatever reason, when it came to newsprint, I decided to reach out to grocery store circular printers, catalog printers, magazine printers, and local town paper printers - we ended up finding a few printers that could do exactly what we needed. It's ironic that we had to look outside traditional comic book printing companies to find a printer that could print a traditional comic book."

"Why the low cover price of $1.50 an issue? Can that last? It absolutely will as we found that printing costs on newsprint are about 3 times less for these runs, so we're passing on those savings to retailers and readers. We're also selling very affordable advertising to support the runs of these books and we're allowing other comic creators and publishers to advertise as well -- another break from the traditional in-house only ads of most modern comics. "
    You still haven't showed how Alterna's company structure (in terms of employees, etc.) compares to DC's, nor have you shown how a much larger operation like DC could realistically do this long-term. (Heck, how long has Alterna been publishing printed comic books on newsprint?)
    And, again, how many people here have bought / can easily find Alterna's newsprint comic books in their stores?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

You still haven't showed how Alterna's company structure (in terms of employees, etc.) compares to DC's, nor have you shown how a much larger operation like DC could realistically do this long-term. (Heck, how long has Alterna been publishing printed comic books on newsprint?)
    And, again, how many people here have bought / can easily find Alterna's newsprint comic books in their stores?
    Right. Trey, I'm expecting an answer in regard to this and not another dodge.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Man this was a huge appeal in keeping me on

If finding a printer was such a tough deal for Alterna with its much smaller line, how much more difficult would it be for DC and marvel who each print well over a million books per month? Each.

And this is in addition to the numerous other reasons given to you why this is NOT a viable plan for Marvel or DC.

This really does p*ss me off. I use Comixology because I don't live anywhere near a comic shop. The one time I tried mail order from Forbidden Planet was a disaster. There is no reason the digital versions should be the same price as the floppies.

Disappointed that Nightwing is going monthly and getting a price hike, couldn't DC cushion the blow a little?
    I think the digital price is going to stay the same. Batwoman 13 released today the floppy is 3.99 and digital 2.99.