Page 35 of 97 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deviskan View Post
    More images:

Attachment 15930

Attachment 15931

Attachment 15932

Now, baring in mind this was actually a replacement of the first damaged copy they sent me...hopefully you can see why I'm ever so slightly annoyed!

Points to note:

There appears to be water damage on the inside cover at the back of the book
    The spine is broken
    There's a tear on the back cover of the dust jacket
    Various area's of crushing damage to corners
    The back cover (under the dust jacket) has drag marks all over it

And so on...at a guess, I think they have tried to palm me off with a second-hand copy...what do you guys think?
    I bought a Will Eisner HC from The Book Depository, after 2 attempts to send me one that hadn't been smashed they refused to send another replacement, made me take a refund instead.

10968449_10152620503878199_6671047673136481641_n.jpg

This looks good. I think I may hunt down the first volume on Ebay or Alibris.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

My "The Star Wars Deluxe Edition HC" arrived today from www.tfaw.com.

The book itself came in its own cardboard box similar to Absolutes but brown not white with it's own personal sticker on the box. The book or should I say box cased edition was of course nice and comfy inside. This cardboard box was put in another box full of styrofoam peanuts.

Not a single nick or dent and this was purchased from their "Nick & Dent" offer on their site with a 75% discount. What a great deal.

bit off topic, but still. WH Smith store delivery: it was free, the books are in mint condition but it took more than the promised 2-3 days to deliver them and they don't send you a text that your items arrived to the store (like Argos) neither update the purchase history so you just have to go in the store and hope they got your books. Bit annoying bu it was more convinient with my hectic work schedule than home delivery.

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Not a single nick or dent and this was purchased from their "Nick & Dent" offer on their site with a 75% discount. What a great deal.
    I agree. I've bought a few N&D items, and the damage is very minimal. Which reminds me that I need to browse through that section again...

Fantastic Member

Bought the Absolute Top Ten from Amazon Marketplace seller 'pes planus'. It was $71 with shipping, labeled 'brand new', and quickly going OOP so I snapped it up. Fast ford to yesterday when I get it in the mail. It is wrapped in a padded mailer, stuffed into a rather flimsy cardboard box. Bubble wrap was inexplicably stuffed into the bottom of the box underneath the Absolute, but nowhere else. The outer box it was mailed in was a bit dinged up, but nothing too bad. The Absolute had dinged corners and one in the front edge of the slipcase.

Ok, well I'm not gonna pay an agreed upon price for something that says brand new and then get something that does not pass that standard due to inadequate packaging. I wouldn't package a book that way when I mail things. So I go through amazon's channel to contact the seller and explain what happened. I was very matter of fact about what happened. He immediately responded that the book was sent in a bubble mailer and a "sturdy carton box" and asked when I recieved it. This struck me as odd and irrelevant to the fact that it was damaged. I replied that I had picked it up yesterday, confirmed that yes it was packaged how he said, but the box was not very sturdy and that there was bubble wrap all stuffed down one end but nowhere else. I said that side was not damaged since it was protected, but the rest was dinged because it was not protected well enough. I admitted it wasn't extensive damage but didn't qualify as brand new condition.

He then reiterates and doubles down that it was indeed packaged well. He ships books twice that heavy the same way. He doesn't want pictures which I said I could supply, but for me to take it to the post office to file a claim. Apparently there is an ID number on the outer box I will need. Well, I threw the box away already. Didn't have the number. I replied saying this and that I have shipped and recieved many books and that I would never send a book like this in such a way because I never have recieved one packed this weigh in good condition.

he hits me back with the fact that he sends "thousands of books a month" and doesn't know what I'm talking about. He repeats that I need the ID number (even though I said I don't have it and suggested he could give it to me since it is probably on his shipping reciept) and to have the post office inspect it and sign a claim otherwise he is "guilty of insurance fraud". I have never once said anything other than that I am perfectly willing to go do this but I need the ID number from him if that is necessary for the process.

I replied asking what the relevance of how many things he ships is since the fact is I recieved the book the way I did. I included packing info because amazon suggested I do so, but talking about it incessantly is beside the point I would be happy to go to the post office. Does he have the ID number or can he look it up?

He AGAIN tells me about how often he ships books. How he ships 40 pounds of books this way, even multiple books and they are fine. In fact this shipping material apparently "exceeds requirements set by government". At this point I'm beyond wondering why he keeps touting his packaging. I'm starting to think he is actually making the case for the book having been damaged prior to packing, since he claims the packaging was so safe and secure. Anyway, he again ignores the fact that I do not have the ID number he says I need. He repeats that I should do what I said I would gladly do - go file a claim at the post office. In fact he repeats it in step by step fashion as if I had not understood this simple task when in fact I had immediately agreed that was fine and asked if I need the ID number and suggested he could easily look it up since he had shipped using stamps.com.

My last reply: "I dont want a refund I want the book. What I dont want is to have paid for a brand new item but recieved a damaged item. The minimum I expected was a simple, non-combative, helpful interaction. Whst I got was you immediately responding twice by commenting that it was shipped in a box and mailer, which I never disputed and does not have any relevance to the fact it is not an item in brand new condition. You still havent answered me about the insurance ID number which you said is needed but I told you I do not have. You seem to be putting an unreasonable amount of the burden on the customer here. You aren't even respond in to direct questions I am asking to resolve this.

Do I need the insurance ID number like you said? Will you look it up on your stamps.com account and give it to me, since I told you several times now I dont have the box?"

We were emailing back and forth over about an hour and he didn't reply to this for a while. He still hasn't in fact. Anyway, it this point I started feeling like maybe I was taking crazy pills. So I went and checked out his detailed feedback. In every single case where he was given bad feedback (almost always saying he was unhelpful in resolving whatever the issue was) the dude had publicly replied insulting the person with personal details! Saying things like that they were outright lying or resorting to "these kinds of tactics" and saying "and this person is going to be taking care of sick people as a nurse!" Or something like that, then posting publicly the persons tracking information. What the ****!?

So, I went and chatted with an amazon customer service person to verify that this dude was acting crazy and inform them of these tactics. They were awesome and are investigating it and have a claim in to refund me via their A to Z Guarantee policy regarding marketplace sellers.

Anywah, that was a long ass story. But I hope it may help someone who ends up in an odd situation like this. And please no one use that seller. I have since checked and his insulting replies to people have been removed. Whether by him or amazon I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    So, I went and chatted with an amazon customer service person to verify that this dude was acting crazy and inform them of these tactics. They were awesome and are investigating it and have a claim in to refund me via their A to Z Guarantee policy regarding marketplace sellers.

Anywah, that was a long ass story. But I hope it may help someone who ends up in an odd situation like this. And please no one use that seller. I have since checked and his insulting replies to people have been removed. Whether by him or amazon I don't know.
    It's unfortunate that this seller gave you the run around, but thanks for sharing. Glad to see Amazon step up and help you out. Let us know how they follow through. Hopefully you'll get some type of refund and the seller faces actual repercussions.

Hey, johnsme, that's why I always make it a point to make a video of every unboxing and... er... 'unenveloping'? If the book is fine, I just delete the video afterwards. Otherwise, off to YouTube it goes so I can claim a refund/replacement.

Speaking of which, this is the state my Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Vol. 1 Omnibus arrived in today.

After chatting with an Amazon rep (and a comic-book lover to boot, a shout-out to Marco in case you're reading this!) there's a new copy coming my way for free, but still it's such a sorry sight...

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Hey, johnsme, that's why I always make it a point to make a video of every unboxing and... er... 'unenveloping'? If the book is fine, I just delete the video afterwards. Otherwise, off to YouTube it goes so I can claim a refund/replacement.

Speaking of which, this is the state my Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Vol. 1 Omnibus arrived in today.

After chatting with an Amazon rep (and a comic-book lover to boot, a shout-out to Marco in case you're reading this!) there's a new copy coming my way for free, but still it's such a sorry sight...

This makes me never want to get another omnibus.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post

Oh great, another $100 book with ads in the back...

John, that seller sounds lick a real jerk. I'm glad you could get a refund.

Fantastic Member

Not a lot of luck ordering from Amazon lately.

If you read my long post about dealing with a seller (pes planus) who shipped a poorly packaged Absolute Top Ten which arrived dinged and then he refused to accept his packaging was any less than stelar, I have an update. The only thing amazon claims they could do is have him give me a refund if I ship the book back. This puts me in a rather awkward position since there is now no way to get the book for under $110 apparently. When I purchased the book it was still at normal prices. I tried to explain this to amazon to no avail. The seller himself took things a step further, claiming that I am dishonest and trying to trick him. This is apparently still due to him not believing I could have recieved a damaged book since he packs things so well. The Absolute wasn't even in the box absolutes normally come in either. I had told the guy several times I would file an insurance claim at the post office if he would give me the insurance ID number he said I needed. He never responded to that. Never responded to anything helpful besides repeatedly defending the condition of the book when he packed it and the fact it was packed well. I just wanted any token discount for the fact that the book was not in brand new conditoon, or at least to acknowledge that maybe he should consider shipping books like this better. Oh well.

Now, I have the new edition of Metabarons pre-ordered. I got it for $30 back in december, which is an incredible discount. Up until yesterday it was slated on amazon.com to come out February 19. I saw someone in another thread got there's about a week ago. So a couple hours ago I went and check the status of the book to see if it would be shipping or had already. The book is no longer listed as available to order or pre-order. It says only available through third party sellers. So I contacted customer service and they say it is listed as back ordered but they "assure me they are doing everything to make sure I get my book". This same game played out with Before the Incal. Also a few other pre-orders in the paSt. Just a warning to everyone. Don't pre-order Humanoids books on amazon. They don't plan on filling them ever apparently. Anyone know when it should be coming up as available to order on ist?

Edit: it will be available on IST on February 25 so I guess I'll give amazon till then.
    Last edited by johnsme; 02-18-2015 at 12:47 AM.

I recently ordered the slipcased hardcover edition of world's greatest super-heroes from an ebay seller. Here's how it arrived:

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The seller explained that this damage was not present when he shipped the item, and that it was probable the cold that made the glue brittle and cracked. That sounds very plausible to me. I actually waited until the book was warm before I opened it but I guess the damage was already done.

Is there any way to fix this kind of damage to the binding? I wonder if a librarian or the owner of my local used book shop would be able to give me some advise. I'd hate to have to take it to a bookbinder because the nearest one is 40 minutes away. Anyone here have experience using bookbinding glue to fix cracks in the binding?

The seller says the best he can offer is a partial refund if I return the book, and ideally I would like to keep it.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 02-19-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    I recently ordered the slipcased hardcover edition of world's greatest super-heroes from an ebay seller. Here's how it arrived:

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The seller explained that this damage was not present when he shipped the item, and that it was probable the cold that made the glue brittle and cracked. That sounds very plausible to me. I actually waited until the book was warm before I opened it but I guess the damage was already done.

Is there any way to fix this kind of damage to the binding? I wonder if a librarian or the owner of my local used book shop would be able to give me some advise. I'd hate to have to take it to a bookbinder because the nearest one is 40 minutes away. Anyone here have experience using bookbinding glue to fix cracks in the binding?

The seller says the best he can offer is a partial refund if I return the book, and ideally I would like to keep it.
    You could potentially repair it yourself if you buy book binding glue. It's hard to tell how extensive the damage is since your pics aren't the highest quality.

As for the eBay seller, you should press for a partial refund without sending anything back.

If you do send the book back, you should get a full refund (whatever you paid in total for the book + shipping) AND pre-paid return shipping. If the seller won't agree to that, escalate a case to eBay customer service and you'll win, guaranteed.

Does anybody know why Amazon doesn't have the new The Metabarons edition in stock? It was supposed to be released on Febreary 16th, but they just sent me an e-mail saying they're still trying to fullfill my preorder, but I can cancel it if I want it. And it seems Amazon UK has it on stock. Why is that?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Does anybody know why Amazon doesn't have the new The Metabarons edition in stock? It was supposed to be released on Febreary 16th, but they just sent me an e-mail saying they're still trying to fullfill my preorder, but I can cancel it if I want it. And it seems Amazon UK has it on stock. Why is that?
    I recieved the same email. I went and checked the 'coming soon' section of instocktrades.com and they have it listed to be released on the 25th. Cheapgraphicnovels.com has it listed for the 24th. So...I'll give them an extra week. I pre-ordered it when it was $30 back in december so I hope this comes through.