Page 9 of 97 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Finally received my big order from IST, and it has been a terrible, never-buy-again kind of experience.

Aside from the nearly month-long delay (which at least can be chalked up to their warehouse move), my order is missing about $100 of books with no comment or refund in the box or via email. Also, the books (including some big hardcover sets) were just thrown into a massive box full of packing peanuts with absolutely no stabilizing elements to keep them from floating around.

Extremely disappointed. I was on the verge of switching my monthly new Marvel orders to them, but if they can't even get my first big order right it looks like I'm back to CGN.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

My first domestic order from SpeedyHen arrived (Doom Patrol omni). It was in a cardboard box with some paper stuffed in, so nothing spectacular but the book is absolutely fine (and it arrived at 18:30 today...on saturday! I'm not used to this, back in Hungary if a book wasn't delivered on friday around 13:00 I had to wait untill monday).

Krisis, you seem to be having bad luck with IST. I've ordered from them a few dozen times. The worst thing that has happened has been their speed has been slower since they bought TOW, but their packing has always been top notch.

I used to get the packing peanuts, but nothing ever damaged. And like DrGregatron said, they are really slow.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    I used to get the packing peanuts, but nothing ever damaged. And like DrGregatron said, they are really slow.
    The more I think about it, the angrier I get. I just had to throw away an ENTIRE TRASH BAG of packing peanuts from this ridiculously oversized box. Why are they using non-recyclable material to fill up a box that is overly large with no other protection or reinforcement? Where are my other $100 of books (that could have clearly fit in that box)?

I currently see 0% utility to switching from CGN to IST. IST's week of release discounts are inconsistent, their general discounts are lower, you have to order constantly to get the extra 2%, they're slow, and they don't know how to pack a box. Also, their cookie-based cart system is just terrible web design. Compare to CGN - always the same discount week of release, no hidden time-based discounts, they post on the main page if things are getting slow, and their boxes are always indestructible and ready to face the elements.

If the difference comes down to $7 is flat rate shipping, I'd say that's an easy decision to make.
    Last edited by krisis; 09-07-2014 at 06:52 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

As an update to my Amazon issues that I posted about on the previous page, they have given me a refund and allowed me to keep on the books as a 'gesture of goodwill.' I'm quite happy with that considering I expected to get nothing.
    Last edited by legion_quest; 09-07-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    The more I think about it, the angrier I get. I just had to throw away an ENTIRE TRASH BAG of packing peanuts from this ridiculously oversized box. Why are they using non-recyclable material to fill up a box that is overly large with no other protection or reinforcement? Where are my other $100 of books (that could have clearly fit in that box)?

I currently see 0% utility to switching from CGN to IST. IST's week of release discounts are inconsistent, their general discounts are lower, you have to order constantly to get the extra 2%, they're slow, and they don't know how to pack a box. Also, their cookie-based cart system is just terrible web design. Compare to CGN - always the same discount week of release, no hidden time-based discounts, they post on the main page if things are getting slow, and their boxes are always indestructible and ready to face the elements.

If the difference comes down to $7 is flat rate shipping, I'd say that's an easy decision to make.
    CGN is definitely better than IST. One thing that probably doesn't matter to many people here, but I like, is that CGN has a presence on Amazon's Marketplace. The prices are a couple bucks higher than their site (I assume to make up for Amazon's take) and the shipping is $4 per item vs $7 flat, but it's a good way to buy stuff with Amazon credit/gift cards without having to worry about damage to the books.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    As an update to my Amazon issues that I posted about on the previous page, they have given me a refund and allowed me to keep on the books as a 'gesture of goodwill.' I'm quite happy with that considering I expected to get nothing.
    Wow. Considering the scarcity, you're easily going to make close to cover back on the books you kept even if you sell them as "Acceptable" with massive photos of the damage.

This post intrigued me, so I did a comparison between CGN and a previous order of mine from IST (delivery to South Africa). An order for 6 items from IST cost me $107.17 total (includes $33.46 for shipping).

My cart from CGN costs a whopping $206.77. There's no other intl shipping option besides the one they give you, and the cost for shipping alone is $129.98.

Although newer books were slightly cheaper with CGN ($1-3 difference), IST still beat the total books cost by about $3 (some older Superman trades were cheaper from IST).

As for the boxes, I haven't had a problem so far (granted, with only three orders). Not trying to start an argument, but after reading the above I was just curious if I should consider CGN for my trades from now on, but I think for intl buyers IST is still the sensible option (I'm guessing your post was only with regards to US buyers). Let's hope others can follow suit...
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

That difference in shipping is crazy.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Yes, from what I gather CGN just isn't a practically-priced option for International Shipping. Perhaps they simply don't do a volume of international orders such that they qualify for better FedEx price?

Yes, from what I gather CGN just isn't a practically-priced option for International Shipping. Perhaps they simply don't do a volume of international orders such that they qualify for better FedEx price?
    It doesn't necessarily mean they're a smaller operation, but the fact that CGN uses old newspaper instead of "real" packing materials makes me assume they are probably a smaller-scale operation than IST.

I've got two orders coming from IST that are supposed to arrive this week.Usually I get the foam around my books,and the box used is a perfect size for the order placed.So far,I don't see me changing vendors.

I got a copy of Usagi Yojimbo vol. 23: printing errors. Got a second copy: same errors! I ask on the official Usagi board if this was a common defect and a Dark Horse editor read it, PMed me, and then sent me a pristine copy and an Usagi poster! Can you get any nicer?

I've had two or three cases of books ordered from Fantagraphics comings damaged. Each time I sent them pictures of the damage and they quickly sent replacement copies. Swell folks!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    It doesn't necessarily mean they're a smaller operation, but the fact that CGN uses old newspaper instead of "real" packing materials makes me assume they are probably a smaller-scale operation than IST.
    I have bought from both and find that CGN is faster and has better discounts. Also CGN has a better track-record (for me at least) of having books "In Stock." I have actually have orders delayed from IN STOCK TRADES because they are out of stock. That being said both services are over all pretty good, I have just had a better experience with CGN. & hey, isn't it great that we have multiple options for getting huge discounts on the things we dig ?