Page 15 of 97 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

So, here's a weird thing (at least from my experience) that Amazon did. I ordered the second World's Finest TPB and the JL/U DVD box-set. The TPB just came in a bubble envelope, which is pretty common. They usually package DVD sets the same way they do TPB/HC/etc that they ship in boxes (box too big, a few deflated inflatable packs). This set is in a slightly over sized box, but when I opened it, they cut and folded pieces of cardboard to keep it secure on the sides, and surrounded it on the top and bottom, as well as above it. The set itself is secured to another piece of cardboard below and then they used a bunch of thick plastic wrap to secure it. I'm not sure if this is new packaging for all higher-priced items or just something they did this one time, but it's by far the best packaging I've ever seen from them.

Fantastic Member

i'm itching to order three omnibuses from Barnes & Noble, but realizing how heavy the package must be and remembering the reviews here about damaged thirds... has anyone (international buyers, of course) ordered and received their books from the current buy-2-get-3rd-free?

My last order from them (3 absolutes) came heavily damaged. They replaced them no problem.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    They replaced them no problem.
    at least that's good to know

Amazing Member

I posted in the Marvel thread.
    I've ordered the past two years and it's good enough for me to order again.

International shipping is slow, especially when compared to Amazon.
    No dents on the book itsef, the one Absolute i did order the outer box was a little crushed but the book itself was fine.
    They started to use packing materials last year although it wasn't really that secure.
    They do handle problems but their customer service is slow, it's not like at Amazon.

Basically they are below Amazon but i get my books for a sizeable discount.
    Last edited by Joyus; 10-31-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joyus View Post
    I posted in the Marvel thread.
    I've ordered the past two years and it's good enough for me to order again.

International shipping is slow, especially when compared to Amazon.
    No dents on the book itsef, the one Absolute i did order the outer box was a little crushed but the book itself was fine.
    They started to use packing materials last year although it wasn't really that secure.
    They do handle problems but their customer service is slow, it's not like at Amazon.

Basically they are below Amazon but i get my books for a sizeable discount.
    found your post there, thanks.
    yeah, i know they are slow and i don't mind waiting longer for the books to arrive. i've ordered from them three times, mainly because sometimes their shipping fees turn out to be lower than Amazon's. but my previous packages were not too heavy, while these three omni would weigh over 16 pounds, which is over 7 kilo, so i'm hesitating. i think the opportunity to save some good bucks will win eventually, though, especially, if they really do handle problems

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Had a funny experience with Cheap-comics.com yesterday. I emailed the owner Chris about when/if Hellboy LE vol 1 would resurface on the site. He said he could order it but thabks to the high dollar it would be more expensive if he'd order it now. Then I asked him the same question about Criminal hc vol 1. He answered that it was in stock and that he had added it to the site. After he did that I put Criminal in my basket with some other stuff and paid for them. After I paid for them I emailed back to Chris thanking him for the help and quick responses, I mentioned in the email I made the order. He then responded that he didn't see a order of mine (even though the money already left my bank account). Turns out that while I paid for my order, the order wasn't filed for some reason. Luckily, Chris easily confirmed that I had paid so he wrote down the order manually. But still, it was quite a new experience for me. Has something like that ever happened to you guys?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Had a funny experience with Cheap-comics.com yesterday. I emailed the owner Chris about when/if Hellboy LE vol 1 would resurface on the site. He said he could order it but thabks to the high dollar it would be more expensive if he'd order it now. Then I asked him the same question about Criminal hc vol 1. He answered that it was in stock and that he had added it to the site. After he did that I put Criminal in my basket with some other stuff and paid for them. After I paid for them I emailed back to Chris thanking him for the help and quick responses, I mentioned in the email I made the order. He then responded that he didn't see a order of mine (even though the money already left my bank account). Turns out that while I paid for my order, the order wasn't filed for some reason. Luckily, Chris easily confirmed that I had paid so he wrote down the order manually. But still, it was quite a new experience for me. Has something like that ever happened to you guys?
    Yeah, same thing happened to me some time ago. Chris sent me an email saying he's got my order but for some reason it doesn't show him what I've purchased. Told me to make an order again but this time I had to choose bank transfer option so I wouldn't pay twice for same books - I guess he has cancelled it straight away. And it worked, he was able to see all items on order. Must've been glitch or something.

EDIT:

And here's how Essex County was shipped to me. And there's nothing wrong with the book, lucky I am.

Last edited by lvizzz; 11-07-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Spectacular Member

Most of my orders have been with CGN, and their packaging has been consistently good. Books remain in new condition with no damage in transit, thanks to tightly packed wads of newsprint paper tucked around all sides. I've ordered a couple times from IST too and was similarly impressed with the thorough protection their packaging provides. They even double-boxed the 75th anniversary MMW slipcase set, keeping the manufacturer's box in good shape and making the product contents more discreet at the same time.

Some of my initial collected editions were acquired through Amazon. No horror stories, but they definitely do not care for your purchases anywhere near as well as CGN or IST in my experience. I bought the previously OOP Howard the Duck omni through a Marketplace seller and was disappointed by excessive dust jacket wear (abundant surface scratches to the finish, due to missing shrinkwrap), though the condition of the book itself was new.

Fantastic Member

i keep looking for decent European sellers on abebooks. does anybody know anything about APlanetOfBooks (Rankine Road, United Kingdom)? it says "member since October 2014", though, so it seems very unlikely that many people bought from them. it's just that they seem to have good prices and relatively low shipping fees. maybe i'll order something cheap to test the waters...

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    i keep looking for decent European sellers on abebooks. does anybody know anything about APlanetOfBooks (Rankine Road, United Kingdom)? it says "member since October 2014", though, so it seems very unlikely that many people bought from them. it's just that they seem to have good prices and relatively low shipping fees. maybe i'll order something cheap to test the waters...
    Not Europian seller but have you tried Paperbackshop-US?
    Here is my experience with them from back when I lived in Hungary:
    Shipping always took 2 weeks (from the US obviously) and the books always came in a bubblewrap envelope with a piece of cardboard attached. Very minimal damage despite the week looking packaging (I ordered 3 big books from them and for the price, a microscopic little ding is nothing to complain about IMHO).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Not Europian seller but have you tried Paperbackshop-US?
    Here is my experience with them from back when I lived in Hungary:
    i have. i actually remember this post of yours, you posted this responding to my experience with them. i received several books from them, lighter ones were fine but heavy Fear Agent LEs came severely damaged. i'm still summoning up my courage to order something else from them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    i have. i actually remember this post of yours, you posted this responding to my experience with them. i received several books from them, lighter ones were fine but heavy Fear Agent LEs came severely damaged. i'm still summoning up my courage to order something else from them.
    oh yeah, you are right, now I remember the discussion! sorry, long day.

Does anybody know what's "PFI" shipping carrier? I ordered a book from Speedy Hen UK (eBay) and they shipped it using this carrier, but I can't track the package.

Amazon wanted me to rate a recent order from them,and I gave them a failing grade.The book was placed in too big of a box for one book.Balled up brown paper wrap was used on top of book,nothing on bottom.The book layed flat against bottom.I told them how important packaging was,and how packaging is discussed on forums.