Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

I think in the case of a damaged copy it's the sellers responsibility to pay for shipping (since they're the ones who didn't package it adequately). I guess you could always just get the slipcase replaced. It would save them a lot on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I'm not sure to ask for a replacement copy, because the shipping cost to return it would be as expensive as buying a new one.

What should I do?
    My recent experience with the Sin City omni was they initially offer me a 25% discount. I asked for a replacement instead. At this point they offered a full refund. I asked again for a replacement instead of the refund, but they said they would need it returned for a refund and it wasn't worth the cost. They even suggested if I want an undamaged copy I buy it from a local shop. I ended up taking the refund.

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    They even suggested if I want an undamaged copy I buy it from a local shop.
    Wow, that's just...wow...

Incredibly enough, the first box took the worst part. It contained the Strangers in Paradise omnibuses, and the slipcase is completely broken:

I'm not sure to ask for a replacement copy, because the shipping cost to return it would be as expensive as buying a new one.

What should I do?
    Definitely contact them, say the box and book arrived damaged and show the pics. They should at least offer some form of restitution, a partial refund or replacement. Be polite and ready to explain that the return shipping cost is X amount of dollars and if they can send a prepaid box/package to return it. Let them solve the problem of returning it.

Thought I'd join in and share my most recent experience with www.cheap-comics.com. This experience is exemplary for all my other orders these past couple of years. Definitely the best packaging around!

1) The box is always of very good quality, usually those Diamond Comics boxes, so those are the sturdiest boxes around. Cellotaped are pretty much all around.

2) When opened you discover not one of the books will touch the box, but there's plenty of packing paper, egg boxes, cardboard etc.

3) Just so the books will arrive with you in perfect condition, just like they were before they got packed.

1)

2)

3)
    Last edited by MartinNL; 07-26-2014 at 03:04 AM.

4) Another shot of how well it's all packed.

5) Books that aren't factory sealed and that have dustjackets are usually given some extra protection by packing them together in a comic bag

6) You always get some bonus stuff when your order exceeds EUR 75. You can choose one of the free books on the site, or when you're signed up on the newsletter you can pick one of the books listed there too. If you already have everything you can also ask for a surprise comic like I did this time.

4)

5)

6)

Spectacular Member

I have bought from Amazon US, Book Depository, Bookworld, My Comic Shop and Mile High Comics. For reference re: shipping times, etc., my location is Australia.

Amazon: I've had the same experience many people here have. Some items, particularly paperbacks, arrive in great condition, but once it's a HC or something a bit heftier and it's a completely different story. I ordered my Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus through them, and even though it came in a box relatively suitable for its size (I also had a couple of blu-rays shipped with it), and it was shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard (which wasn't much bigger than the book itself), the padding was inadequate and it has a dent on the back cover near the spine and the dust jacket has a tear where a corner has hit something. After better experiences with other online retailers, I've sworn off buying any more comics from Amazon.

Book Depository: I think I've ordered at least 40-50 books from them in the last year and a half, and all but three came in perfect condition (one of them, Young Avengers NOW Vol 3, was because the mailman literally threw the package at my front door; the other two were Spidey/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do and ASM Return of the Black Cat which came looking like they were well-loved second hand copies [maybe BD has something against Black Cat?!]). The only reason I don't order through them as much anymore is, as I've found other stores, their prices don't seem as competitive as they once did. Can't fault their packaging at all, I have always had books sent in the cardboard sleeves/boxes, never in a bag like others have reported. Orders generally arrive about a week after shipping. Longest I've waited was three weeks, which only happened for one order.

Bookworld: This is an Australian website that I believe came out of the liquidation of Borders (indeed, if you try and access borders.com.au it will automatically redirect to Bookworld). I've only ordered a few times from them, mainly when I find a great deal on a Marvel Omnibus. Packaging varies, I've had hardcovers arrive in a box as expected, and paperbacks in a padded envelope. Shipping time is reasonable as well, they had to get one Omnibus from a US supplier but I still had it within a week and a half.

My Comic Shop: I buy from them 2 to 3 times a year, and they're usually pretty large orders. My tip: sign up for the weekly codeword, which will give you 10% off select groups each week (eg Marvel A-L, DC M-Z, Transformers titles, etc). This probably applies best for overseas buyers, as I believe even with 10% off a lot of items still work out slightly more expensive than IST with free shipping for the American folks. International shipping, at least to Aus, starts at a flat rate of $20, and only goes up very slightly depending on the number of items (I just ordered two omnibuses, two hardcovers, a Marvel Epic Collection, two Marvel NOW TPBs and 23 floppies and paid $30.65 in shipping - I'd be paying that much just for a few books from Amazon!). The only hiccup I've had was two paperbacks in seperate orders both had sticky residue on the very first page, meaning it got stuck to the inside of the cover whenever the book was closed (rectangular patches, very clearly some sort of sticker that had been peeled off prior to shipping - I emailed them explaining if I order something listed as 'NM' then I expect it to not have had stickers placed on, of all things, the internal pages [let alone removed again leaving residue on the page]. They gave me store credit for those items to make up for it). Very strangely, my orders generally show up exactly two weeks after shipping! The packaging is awesome as well, it's all wrapped in so much cardboard and plastic that damage is very unlikely.

Mile High Comics: I haven't bought from them in well over a year, as I've found MCS and BD are my go-to online stores these days, but I never had any problems. Their comics are a bit pricier, so I only found it worthwhile to put in an order whenever they had a decent codeword sale. It's been so long that I can't remember how the comics were packaged, but I do remember shipping was longer than My Comic Shop (sometimes taking up to a month to arrive).

I really want to try IST as I've heard nothing but good things about them. I did look at them a little while ago, but their international shipping was prohibitively expensive. Looking now, it seems to be a lot cheaper but even with the great discounts on the books themselves the dummy orders I've created only come out to around $5-10 cheaper than if I were to go through MCS.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Incredibly enough, the first box took the worst part. It contained the Strangers in Paradise omnibuses, and the slipcase is completely broken:

What should I do?
    I got my first (slightly) damaged package from Amazon.com today. It was a very strange experience for me. I have gotten damaged things before and unless it's practically destroyed, I'm fine with a partial refund, depending on the damage. I got my Big Damn Sin City from Amazon and it had a small tear on the cover and a small bump above the binding. Normally I don't care but it was a very expensive book, so I tried for a small refund because I found it a bit annoying (I would have been happy with %10). I mailed via the customer service, I started with just saying that it was damaged and that I couldn't afford sending it back so I preferred a refund and was planning to send pictures after they replied. The reply came within the hour. I got a full (!) refund. They didn't ask for pictures or anything, I didn't even describe the damage yet. I'm still very surprised about it. $68 is quite a bit for a refund without even questioning it.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I got my first (slightly) damaged package from Amazon.com today. It was a very strange experience for me. I have gotten damaged things before and unless it's practically destroyed, I'm fine with a partial refund, depending on the damage. I got my Big Damn Sin City from Amazon and it had a small tear on the cover and a small bump above the binding. Normally I don't care but it was a very expensive book, so I tried for a small refund because I found it a bit annoying (I would have been happy with %10). I mailed via the customer service, I started with just saying that it was damaged and that I couldn't afford sending it back so I preferred a refund and was planning to send pictures after they replied. The reply came within the hour. I got a full (!) refund. They didn't ask for pictures or anything, I didn't even describe the damage yet. I'm still very surprised about it. $68 is quite a bit for a refund without even questioning it.
    Actually, my Big Damn Sin City arrived the same day and one of the corners is a little bended. I can live with that, but what surprises me is that the Strangers omnibus was in the same kind of package (a piece of cardboard attached to it) and is so heavily damage. Now I think I won't order another slipcase book from Amazon again (at least not one as massive).

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to ask for a full refund. Hope I get the same answer.

bargainbookstores through Abebooks: I've ordered an Essential from them and it came in a cardboard envelope, but it looked like a nylon envelope twice the size of the book and the air sucked out, but instead of nylon it was cardboard. Strange looking piece.
    But the book looks no worse than the listed "very good" condition and it arrived in 1,5 weeks from the US, so over all no complaints.

Incredible Member

Bookdepository is officially on my blacklist. I have ordered 4 times from BD and twice the book came in an envelope, with no packaging and damaged. I decided to take a chance and order Final Incal from them. I heard people had their orders cancelled so I was nervous and I emailed them. They sent me an email confirming it was on the way and customer service also confirmed it was on the way. During that time I had the opportunity to buy it for 20% cheaper elsewhere but I stuck with my order because they assured me. Preorders aren't guaranteed but in this case they assured me it was on the way since they found a supplier. Well, this morning I got a cancellation email so I sent them one last FU email and I will NEVER buy from them again. Even if they are the only place to find a book I really want, I'd rather go to eBay and pay double than shop there again.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Bookdepository is officially on my blacklist. I have ordered 4 times from BD and twice the book came in an envelope, with no packaging and damaged. I decided to take a chance and order Final Incal from them. I heard people had their orders cancelled so I was nervous and I emailed them. They sent me an email confirming it was on the way and customer service also confirmed it was on the way. During that time I had the opportunity to buy it for 20% cheaper elsewhere but I stuck with my order because they assured me. Preorders aren't guaranteed but in this case they assured me it was on the way since they found a supplier. Well, this morning I got a cancellation email so I sent them one last FU email and I will NEVER buy from them again. Even if they are the only place to find a book I really want, I'd rather go to eBay and pay double than shop there again.
    Terrible, especially since it's still up for pre-order on their website. The European amazon's have lots of copies in stock still so you might want to go through them or order straight from Humanoids.

EDIT
    Scratch that ordering from Humanoids since their international shipping prices are as bad to Canada as they are to Europe.
    Last edited by MartinNL; 07-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Terrible, especially since it's still up for pre-order on their website. The European amazon's have lots of copies in stock still so you might want to go through them or order straight from Humanoids.

EDIT
    Scratch that ordering from Humanoids since their international shipping prices are as bad to Canada as they are to Europe.
    Yeah I just checked there and it shows as $34 to ship to me so I think I'll just get it elsewhere once my refund comes through on my card. Really disappointed.

Wow, so many people complaining about Amazon. I created this petition at Change.org to see if all of us singing it could get Amazon to do something about it. So far, it's been a complete failure. Hopefully some of the people here, who take so much time to rant and post pictures about how bad Amazon's packaging is, can sign it and actually help to promote this petition. Here's the petition!

In my case, as an international customer, IST is definitely the best way to get my books as near-mint as possible. Problem is, they ship using USPS, which means my country's post office has to deliver the package after they clear it through customs here in Argentina. And this process usually takes around 2 months!!! Fortunately, the books arrive in amazing condition.

On the other hand, if I use Amazon, I get the book in just 4 days, but with a lot of chances it will be damaged... The only thing I trust Amazon with are DC's Absolute editions, since the white boxes protect them really well. Everything else is just a fucking gamble!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    Wow, so many people complaining about Amazon. I created this petition at Change.org to see if all of us singing it could get Amazon to do something about it. So far, it's been a complete failure. Hopefully some of the people here, who take so much time to rant and post pictures about how bad Amazon's packaging is, can sign it and actually help to promote this petition. Here's the petition!

In my case, as an international customer, IST is definitely the best way to get my books as near-mint as possible. Problem is, they ship using USPS, which means my country's post office has to deliver the package after they clear it through customs here in Argentina. And this process usually takes around 2 months!!! Fortunately, the books arrive in amazing condition.

On the other hand, if I use Amazon, I get the book in just 4 days, but with a lot of chances it will be damaged... The only thing I trust Amazon with are DC's Absolute editions, since the white boxes protect them really well. Everything else is just a fucking gamble!
    I never order from amazon.com, only amazon.de and amazon.co.uk who actually do a decent enough job most of the time. Terrible that amazon.com is such a gamble especially if you're short on options.