Page 34 of 97 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    Apologies in advance if this was already asked but does anybody know if Amazon ships the DC Absolute editions in the original box? Amazon (within the US) is notorious for not packaging books well but if Amazon does indeed ship in the original Absolute boxes (the white ones) then I feel much better ordering from there.

I'm a usual CGN / IST customer but I have Amex points to spend.. so I'm considering getting either Absolute Haunted Knight or Absolute Batman Inc.
    I can't comment about amazon.com, but I can say that my Absolute All Star Superman from amazon.co.uk came in its white box when I ordered from them a couple of years ago.

Another amazon marketplace seller to avoid or at the very least be very wary of: Bookshop4U

I ordered a "new" Marvel OHC from them. Unfortunately, the corners were squashed and the book board was worn and two corners were cracked. In addition, there was a remainder mark on the book which was not mentioned in the description. No protection whatsoever, as the book came in a flimsy plastic envelope.

I eventually agreed to a 75% refund (on shipping also) and kept the book.

Amazing Member

I’ve had fantastic luck with TFAW’s “Nick and Dent” sales. The books I’ve received from them in the past might have had a small ding, but certainly nothing worse than I’ve done myself after a reading or two. Last week I was doing a search to fill out some empty spots in my collection, and spotted a copy of Big Damn Sin City for 50% off. I added it and some other books to my cart and sat back to wait.

So I’m sitting in my house today, when I hear a loud “bump-BANG” from my porch. I open the door to see UPS driving away, and my latest package from TFAW awaiting me. It wasn’t at the door, instead lay about 5 feet away, at the top of the stairs leading up to the porch. It wasn’t signed for, even though I was sent an email stating that a signature was required for delivery. It looks like the driver stood at the bottom of the steps and threw it so it hit the edge of the top stair, since I didn’t hear the clump of footsteps going up or down the steps.

You can see where the box impacted the corner of the step upon impact. It’s completely bent in, and hit hard enough to literally tear a 7 inch gash in the cardboard box. The books were all loose inside the box, with some Styrofoam peanuts not quite filling the rest of the space. Of course the only book with major damage was the most expensive one: Big Damn Sin City. The damage to the book wasn’t as bad as expected from the exterior damage that was done, but I’m still irritated at UPS.

I contacted Things From Another World, seeking to simply have the (rather expensive) shipping cost refunded. I was willing to keep the book, as I’m going to read it, not display it. However, I was told that since it was a nick&dent item the damage was "probably there before it shipped", so they wouldn’t refund any shipping costs. Since the gash is exactly the width of the book, and the damage is exactly where it’s bashed in….well I highly doubt it looked like that before it shipped.

I can’t fault TFAW too much, as their other packages have arrived in decent enough shape. I mainly needed to vent about UPS’s crappy service. In the future I'll be sticking to using Instocktrades for anything expensive and heavy.
    PhotoGrid_1422402425571.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by downinthezero View Post
    I’ve had fantastic luck with TFAW’s “Nick and Dent” sales. The books I’ve received from them in the past might have had a small ding, but certainly nothing worse than I’ve done myself after a reading or two. Last week I was doing a search to fill out some empty spots in my collection, and spotted a copy of Big Damn Sin City for 50% off. I added it and some other books to my cart and sat back to wait.

So I’m sitting in my house today, when I hear a loud “bump-BANG” from my porch. I open the door to see UPS driving away, and my latest package from TFAW awaiting me. It wasn’t at the door, instead lay about 5 feet away, at the top of the stairs leading up to the porch. It wasn’t signed for, even though I was sent an email stating that a signature was required for delivery. It looks like the driver stood at the bottom of the steps and threw it so it hit the edge of the top stair, since I didn’t hear the clump of footsteps going up or down the steps.

You can see where the box impacted the corner of the step upon impact. It’s completely bent in, and hit hard enough to literally tear a 7 inch gash in the cardboard box. The books were all loose inside the box, with some Styrofoam peanuts not quite filling the rest of the space. Of course the only book with major damage was the most expensive one: Big Damn Sin City. The damage to the book wasn’t as bad as expected from the exterior damage that was done, but I’m still irritated at UPS.

I contacted Things From Another World, seeking to simply have the (rather expensive) shipping cost refunded. I was willing to keep the book, as I’m going to read it, not display it. However, I was told that since it was a nick&dent item the damage was "probably there before it shipped", so they wouldn’t refund any shipping costs. Since the gash is exactly the width of the book, and the damage is exactly where it’s bashed in….well I highly doubt it looked like that before it shipped.

I can’t fault TFAW too much, as their other packages have arrived in decent enough shape. I mainly needed to vent about UPS’s crappy service. In the future I'll be sticking to using Instocktrades for anything expensive and heavy.
    That's awful. You should contact ups to complain! If they don't deliver the package to your door and have you sign for it, and if this results in damage or loss of materials, then that's totally their fault!

007 girl.

I got a comic today from someone who has sellotaped the package to death to the point that I have no idea how to open it. Looks like a completely laminated envelope.

Will give the box-cutter to Mr. Jez...he's more patient and technical with these things.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

More evidence for my conviction that UPS is the absolute worst when it comes to caring about how things arrive through their service. Sounds to me like you should have sufficient evidence to make a claim directly against them. I sit in dread whenever someone sends big books to me via UPS; I have much better luck with USPS media mail, which thankfully IST and CGN usually employ.

Incredible Member

Contact your local UPS distribution center and ask to file a complaint against the route driver for that package.

I feel for you. In addition to contacting UPS as others have mentioned, I would still hassle TFAW some more highlighting the fact that the books were loose without sufficient protection and send them some pics. Never give up on the first email. I reckon most sellers hope customers accept their first response. I've always pushed sellers if I'm not entirely happy with their answer, and 95% of the time have received a more satisfactory outcome.

Btw, I received confirmation today from TFAW that my package has been sent. This will be my first order from them. Let's see how they do with delivering to Poland.

As others said, complain to USPS! You didn't get the service you paid for you have every right to complain and get a refund.

This would mainly be for anyone based in the UK...

Have any of you guys had any issues with a company called Reed Comics?

I'm currently having a slightly awkward conversation with them via email, regarding an item I received today that was damaged.

Before I placed the order, I clarified with them via email that the book was in mint condition, 100% fully sealed and damage free...which they confirmed was the case.

However, the book I received has the following areas of damage (I sent them pictures of the following on the email):

On the back face of the book...there's a hole in the shrinkwrap, and an area of the dust jacket has been damaged (the black shiny cover has been pushed back...revealing the white paper underneath.

The whole bottom side of the books shrinkwrap is torn open.

The base of the spine has been pushed in slightly (the dust jacket there is slightly dented, and I can feel the cover below is also dented in).

Just to confirm, if you receive a damaged book via the post...and report it within the timescales stipulated on the business site (within 10 days...note, I reported it within 1 hour of receiving the book!), has anyone experienced a shop being funny about providing you with a replacement copy (this is the first time I've experienced this myself)?

I'm sure it will be ok in the end...as their own T's & C's state they will provide a replacement if you receive a damaged copy...but some of the things the guy there is saying via email are slightly odd (such as he will get a replacement dustjacket sent out from DC, or that the shrinkwrap is not part of the book...it's solely to keep the book clean, and can become torn by the book moving around in transit?!).

I did pick him up about that one...as I'd expect a good comic shop to never send a book that could move around in the box!

I love how Amazon has, like, no idea how to properly package a book for shipping.
    It's only a TPB, but it's supposed to be brand new. The corner shouldn't be bent up on a brand new book.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I love how Amazon has, like, no idea how to properly package a book for shipping.
    It's only a TPB, but it's supposed to be brand new. The corner shouldn't be bent up on a brand new book.
    I find a lot of sellers equate "new" with sealed or unread. It could have loose pages, rips in the dust jacket and bashed in corners but as long as it's sealed or comes new from their warehouse then it's technically new, where as used books have to be meticulously graded.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deviskan View Post
    This would mainly be for anyone based in the UK...

Have any of you guys had any issues with a company called Reed Comics?

I'm currently having a slightly awkward conversation with them via email, regarding an item I received today that was damaged.

Before I placed the order, I clarified with them via email that the book was in mint condition, 100% fully sealed and damage free...which they confirmed was the case.

However, the book I received has the following areas of damage (I sent them pictures of the following on the email):

On the back face of the book...there's a hole in the shrinkwrap, and an area of the dust jacket has been damaged (the black shiny cover has been pushed back...revealing the white paper underneath.

The whole bottom side of the books shrinkwrap is torn open.

The base of the spine has been pushed in slightly (the dust jacket there is slightly dented, and I can feel the cover below is also dented in).

Just to confirm, if you receive a damaged book via the post...and report it within the timescales stipulated on the business site (within 10 days...note, I reported it within 1 hour of receiving the book!), has anyone experienced a shop being funny about providing you with a replacement copy (this is the first time I've experienced this myself)?

I'm sure it will be ok in the end...as their own T's & C's state they will provide a replacement if you receive a damaged copy...but some of the things the guy there is saying via email are slightly odd (such as he will get a replacement dustjacket sent out from DC, or that the shrinkwrap is not part of the book...it's solely to keep the book clean, and can become torn by the book moving around in transit?!).

I did pick him up about that one...as I'd expect a good comic shop to never send a book that could move around in the box!
    That sucks. I order from Reed regularly, I use them to subscribe for monthly floppies and they have the option to add trades and stuff to your monthly shipment to save on shipping costs. My stuff always come with more than adequate protection and I've never had any issues with them, other than them occasionally being short staffed causing delays with my monthly subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviskan View Post
    And it can. I order 99% of my hardcover books from IST, and they package very well and tight, and I have had a couple of books arrive with the shrink wrap ripped on them. Only difference is, my books were so well protected and tightly packed that it didn't matter that the shrink wrap got ripped, my books were in perfect condition.

As for the rest, he may want to try replacing the dust jacket because it is cheaper than replacing an entire book? But, still, that spine doesn't sound right.

I hope you get a replacement soon.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    I find a lot of sellers equate "new" with sealed or unread. It could have loose pages, rips in the dust jacket and bashed in corners but as long as it's sealed or comes new from their warehouse then it's technically new, where as used books have to be meticulously graded.

Really?? Even when ordering directly from Amazon (it was sold by Amazon, not a third party seller)??
    That is crazy.