Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    And they don't. You see low sales when the book is lacking in great concepts. Brubaker had a great concept and sold tons of Captain America. Fans apparently don't like what Remender is doing so Marvel jumps the shark.
    So sales are always indicators of quality? Thats poppycock son.

And how is this jumping the shark if this is the culmination of Remender's story on the title? You can disagree with what they present in the interview, but if you look at the issues you see Steve reinforcing the idea of Captain America as a mantle a few times. That he was going to pass it on was already in there.

BANNED

I still would rather see Luke Cage as Captain America people love him he basically the people's Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    So sales are always indicators of quality? Thats poppycock son.

And how is this jumping the shark if this is the culmination of Remender's story on the title? You can disagree with what they present in the interview, but if you look at the issues you see Steve reinforcing the idea of Captain America as a mantle a few times. That he was going to pass it on was already in there.
    I never said they were....son. Robinfan stated that great concepts were apparently not selling copies (erroneously substituting his opinion for fact) and mentioned that something needs to change (I assume that he is stating that when a great concept doesn't work, one must revert to a poor one or a gimmick. Which is what we're getting).

I simply pointed that more often than not, an "A" list character with a great idea will sell and provided an example.

The question you bring up though is how do we measure the appeal of a story or concept if not by sales? What method do we have to measure the greatness of a concept if not by how many people want to experience it?

And Remender dropping hints about the mantle of Captain America doesn't mean it was his idea and not from the editors. It could just as easily mean that they told to do it in Q3 2014 and to prep for it. That's not evidence of anything.

The only "evidence" anyone has is what's been said in interviews by Remender, Alonso, etc. (who all claim that these changes came about organically and were not editorial edicts) and yet you prefer to discount that entirely and present your own theories, which also have zero evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    So if a Captain America comic doesn't explore political concepts then the world is doomed to repeat it's worst mistakes? Bit dramatic.
    No, but if we don't find ways in culture to reflect on things then we're like a bull in the red. Certainly if Cap was "off-limits" to to interrogating political ideas, something else should fill that gap. But if one is "off-limits" that speaks more broadly about one's desire to think about it at all. And when that ball starts heading down the mountain, that's where the trouble begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet
    This should actually read, "because certain readers refuse to baldly face the political implications of the stories they read and the broader narratives they reveal about the author's opinions."
    Political implications of fiction that reflects on the real world is revealed through opinion as well as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    No, but if we don't find ways in culture to reflect on things then we're like a bull in the red. Certainly if Cap was "off-limits" to to interrogating political ideas, something else should fill that gap. But if one is "off-limits" that speaks more broadly about one's desire to think about it at all. And when that ball starts heading down the mountain, that's where the trouble begins.
    I get your point but you're using one of the very well know fallacies, the slippery slope. It's scare tactics not valid argument. You're connecting dots that aren't there. There are plenty of ways in which this commentary exists and we would not suffer if it were not included in a Cap comic. And, for the record, it is not off limits in Captain America comics but the author and staff need to be prepared for lower sales and backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    Political implications of fiction that reflects on the real world is revealed through opinion as well as anything else.
    Except facts! Which are much more informative and less controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    The only "evidence" anyone has is what's been said in interviews by Remender, Alonso, etc. (who all claim that these changes came about organically and were not editorial edicts) and yet you prefer to discount that entirely and present your own theories, which also have zero evidence.
    And the editorial staff of a comic publisher has never mislead or deceived. In editors we trust!

BANNED

I really like that Falcon keeps his wings.

Spectacular Member marcotheblerd's Avatar

We finally got to see Marvel do away with the horribly offensive "Snap" Wilson storyline from years ago.

Image-68-600x369.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcotheblerd View Post
    We finally got to see Marvel do away with the horribly offensive "Snap" Wilson storyline from years ago.

Image-68-600x369.jpg
    Yeah. That was actually nice to read. Though I know people going to keep bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Yeah. That was actually nice to read. Though I know people going to keep bringing it up.
    what issue is this?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Let "them". Facts are facts. Retconn. It didn't happen. Unless Remenders work is "retconned" "Snap" never existed .