Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

lol, retcons. We all know he's Cap'n Snap.

On the flipside, Captain Planet, I would like to see that Sam can be the hero without Steve in his ear.

That interview has me interested enough to start picking up Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    lol, retcons. We all know he's Cap'n Snap.

On the flipside, Captain Planet, I would like to see that Sam can be the hero without Steve in his ear.
    Isn't that what he always does? Or do you just mean you'd like to see him in his own ongoing as the Falcon? I would read that.

BANNED

way to ruin a legendary character....

i hope this run fails so we get steve back

There is an innate challenge in keeping characters that have been around as long as Cap fresh and interesting. It's especially difficult to keep those characters exciting when you don't own the rights to them, and you're not necessarily emotionally invested in them past the pay check you're receiving for writing their adventures. It's a well established "trope" to change the identity of the person under the mask, as much as it is to take their powers away, or simply kill them off. I understand that the idea may have come from Remender himself, but I'm sorry, all these changes happening at Marvel around the same time - coincidence, or not - reek of editorial edict.

I'm sure Remender will write the hell out of a Sam Wilson-led Captain America, as well as the upcoming crossover, AXIS. But I won't be buying them. I'll be sticking to Black Science, Deadly Class, & Low for some great Remender-written series, which I know for a fact will have more original ideas, and an emotional investment from the writer since, y'know, he owns the rights to them.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well, at least he'll do something right with Sam (the retcon), but it's still Remender which means, my wallet waits for something else.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    That makes sense, however I wouldn't expect them to come out and say "yeah, editors made us do this."

Why? Where is Captain America's job description stating he has to be a hero that can physically dominate someone? It's kind of a sad statement that Captain America, the embodiment of the America Dream has to be a super soldier, brains and courage aren't enough to keep the mantle he forged.

It's just a silly concept that because he can't throw his shield anymore, he's not capable of being that hero. Especially since the defining traits of Cap are not tied to his serum. It's a VERY narrow definition of Captain America.

I would have been MUCH more interested in exploring the idea that someone like Captain America can still be Captain America without being able to punch Red Skull in the face.
    Actually yes, that's exactly what it means. Being a Super Soldier WAS and IS a fundamental part of his character. So yes, he DOES need to be able to do soldier stuff.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

RR's work gives me pause as I don't think some of the... Characterizations that he has done with UA.

However, I do like Sam more than Steve so I may give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Actually yes, that's exactly what it means. Being a Super Soldier WAS and IS a fundamental part of his character. So yes, he DOES need to be able to do soldier stuff.
    No it isn't.

Look at Infinity. Cap saved the universe with his strategy and never once did his physical ability matter.

Look at the whole Dimension Z story arc. How much of that was about what really makes a hero, his determination and tenacity as opposed to just him being strong and agile.

His super strength has only ever been a tool. It was the gimmick that got him started but has long since ceased to be his defining super hero trait.

No, his strength only matters to people who just want to see super heroes make things go boom!

Captain America (Steve) is not defined by his abilities. Infinity is a good example. i always think of the Daredevil issue that mentions him as a man that could command a god, and does. that is Steve Rogers.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Isn't that what he always does? Or do you just mean you'd like to see him in his own ongoing as the Falcon? I would read that.
    I mean he has Steve as tactical support, and "Captain America" shouldn't need that. I get that it keeps Steve in the action, but a lot of people question Sam's capability as it is, and making him less independent than any other street level hero doesn't work as an idea for me.

The "Avengers & X-Men: AXIS" event will bring Sam and the Red Skull face to face. We know Cap has a history with the Red Skull, but the Falcon did, too. What's your sense of the enmity between Sam Wilson and Johann Schmidt?

Sam's empathic powers, his connection with Redwing and birds, is something that grew out of his adventure of trying to take down the Red Skull when he had the Cosmic Cube. The Red Skull is a guy who tweaked reality with the Cosmic Cube to create "Snap" Wilson, to try and defame Sam, which is something that we will be digging into.

There never was a "Snap" Wilson. "Snap" Wilson was a construct of the Red Skull. He was an attempt to defame Sam. So Sam has a very personal grudge against the Red Skull.
    SOLD. That's all I wanted to hear. Reminder and Brevoort deserves huge props and a lot of respect for doing what I have been saying that Marvel should do with that horrible pointless and unnecessary racist "Snap" Wilson retcon, which is retcon/reverse that racist retcon by giving an in continuity explanation (along with some retcons). Hell, they even used the suggestion that I made about having it revealed that "Snap" Wilson was a creation of the Red Skull.

So despite the whole "Falcon as the new Cap" story being an obvious short term sales boosting gimmick, I will definitely be reading this story.

I wish that I liked Remender better as a writer! That said, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think Sam definitely deserves the spotlight, as he's a great (and historically important) character (and part of me squees at the thought of Anthony Mackie one day getting to play Cap, no matter how unlikely it may be), and I think this is a legitimately interesting (and logical) storytelling move. So that at least gives me hope.

And hey, even if Remender isn't my favorite writer, if he's being sincere that this change isn't going away any time soon, we should get a chance to see some other writers on the title as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    Yes. Really looking forward to seeing the REAL Sam Wilson again. The one that existed before that ugly past Snap Wilson recon took him away for years.
    Quoted for both the truth and because I feel the same way you do.

What a crock. Like every other Marvel gimmick of the last 10 years, they will expect the fans to buy in, but will not themselves, keeping the old status quo in the film franchise, animated movies, etc. And just like the other examples (Death of Cap, Superior Spiderman, etc), they will be carefully orchestrated to revert back just in time to promote a new film. Big time pass for me.