Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    What a crock. Like every other Marvel gimmick of the last 10 years, they will expect the fans to buy in, but will not themselves, keeping the old status quo in the film franchise, animated movies, etc. And just like the other examples (Death of Cap, Superior Spiderman, etc), they will be carefully orchestrated to revert back just in time to promote a new film. Big time pass for me.
    Quoted for the truth, but I am still going to check out CAP #25 and the first few issues of ALL NEW CAP. However, I refuse to pay money for AXIS.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Actually yes, that's exactly what it means. Being a Super Soldier WAS and IS a fundamental part of his character. So yes, he DOES need to be able to do soldier stuff.
    Like command? And delegate to those who can do the job best?

Soldier isn't equivalent to in-the-trenches grunts. That also applies to those who are in command.

All-New Member

I'm enjoying Remender's run so far, but there are a few things in the interview that make me a little leery. I mention something from the spoiler part of the interview toward the end of my post.

"We've seen other people wear Cap's suit. What I concocted was an end goal that came about and didn't involve Steve being out of the picture, on the run, or dead."

This was the situation during the latter part of Bucky's time as Cap, after Steve Rogers returned from the time loop.

"Sam is not a soldier. He's going to do what he thinks is the right thing and listen to his heart. He does not take orders. He does not follow the chain of command. His version of the American Dream and his ideology is different than Steve's."

This is the same as Steve during Civil War.

Start of the SPOILER:

It's nature versus nurture in terms of, is it's Steve's influence or Zola's DNA that's going to end being the guiding voice in Ian's life?"

Sounds like Damian Wayne.

End of the SPOILER.

It sounds like he's rehashing stories that aren't that old. I'll read them and hope there's more to it than that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I love Sam Wilson and love Immonen but I have mixed feelings about this. The Batman Beyond like setup sounds really interesting but I like Captain America because he's Steve Rogers and I don't have any interest in Falcon being Captain America.

Why not just have the Falcon be Falcon with Captain America (steve) being his mentor and tactician from behind a computer screen?

Is Captain America only Captain America if he is able to jump around and punch people? Why can't he still be a hero and keep his title form this new position?
    I agree with your sentiment, except this isn't even remotely like Batman Beyond. For one, the Falcon already is a veteran hero. All he needs is training in the use of the shield. He's faced the same villains as Cap did, and most of the time he was fighting beside Cap. What the hell does Cap need to advise Falcon on when he's in the midst of battle? Which way to throw the shield so that it will bounce back? If he's not good at shield throwing, he would just use his wings and resort to using the shield for defense. Why would anyone force themselves to fight like Captain America when they already have their own fighting style and can do much better that way? Wayne had more to teach Mcginnis then just how to throw a batarang. He also had to instil within him some basic detective skills, and that's why Wayne had to supervise him all the time, aside from the fact that he didn't trust Mcginnis a lot at first. I don't believe trust is an issue between Cap and Falcon, right?

Do the people who made Falcon the new Cap (probably Steve himself) just want him to be a symbol or figurehead? It doesn't even seem like he's leading the team in the cover for the 8 months later storyline.

I see this lasting for maybe a year, or until Avengers 2 comes out, before reverting to its original status quo. I have more confidence with All-New Thor and Superior Iron Man than this.
    Last edited by Dusk; 07-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Incredible Member

.... i've never been a big fan of the Sam Wilson character. I have , on the other hand, been a big fan of the Falcon character design. I think the Falcon character design is excellent.

So why would i celebrate Sam Wilson only being given a spotlight due to being placed in Steve Rogers costume * as opposed* to simply writing better stories and empowering Sam Wilson as THE FALCON ?

A more compelling Sam Wilson ( if he is written that way from here on out instead of how he was written previously) will be the guy many people have wanted him to be for years..in Cap's costume? That seems like a very s****y pay off for dedicated and loyal Falcon fans (of which i am not).

I'd like to see the Falcon receive an increase in exposure and popularity but this feels wrong to me and reeks of a social message i don't care for.

I'll check out Cap #25 but i'd feel dirty if i followed the story beyond that.

Falcon needs to be written as the talented, veteran character with the potential to be so much more that he is instead of placing him in another mans costume.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I mean he has Steve as tactical support, and "Captain America" shouldn't need that. I get that it keeps Steve in the action, but a lot of people question Sam's capability as it is, and making him less independent than any other street level hero doesn't work as an idea for me.
    ^and This.

What is so hard about letting Falcon stand on his own as a powerful, veteran solo character? It seems like it would physically hurt Marvel employees if this were allowed. This is why i have a hard time buying into the way the Falcon is depicted in most media. He has first rate character design and 2nd rate character development.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    i hope this run fails so we get steve back
    Steve isn't gone.
    "His mind is still sharp. He still has that fighting spirit, and he wants to serve. He no longer has to put his body into the grinder to do it though."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    lol, retcons. We all know he's Cap'n Snap.
    "Snap" Wilson was the retcon, done by Steve Englehart, now it's being de-conned.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Captain America (Steve) is not defined by his abilities. Infinity is a good example. i always think of the Daredevil issue that mentions him as a man that could command a god, and does. that is Steve Rogers.
    Exactly, that is Steve Rogers. But we're talking the mantle of Cap which has been used by a few people now...

What a crock. Like every other Marvel gimmick of the last 10 years, they will expect the fans to buy in, but will not themselves, keeping the old status quo in the film franchise, animated movies, etc.
    Well people did notice Bucky holding Cap's shield and the fact that Bucky is signed on for more movies than Chris/Cap is (maybe he'll sign on for more).

And just like the other examples (Death of Cap, Superior Spiderman, etc), they will be carefully orchestrated to revert back just in time to promote a new film. Big time pass for me.
    I'll refer you to the article, "Steve is around, and it's a change that is as permanent as anything in comic books, without the reset button waiting. "

I'm just tired of Replacement Caps. Yes, I get it. And I'm sure Remender has a nice, long storyline planned... but we just had a Death of Cap and Bucky cap, with Cap only putting the uniform back on what, three years ago? Four years ago now? I just can't get excited about this and I actually like Remender.

Good for Falcon, though. He's deserved a higher profile.

On one hand, I feel like its a bit of a rehash of a relatively recent plot namely Cap being dead and Bucky taking over. Its like DC killing Batman again and having uhm... Jason Todd as the new Batman when Death of the Cowl wasn't that long ago. On the other hand, I do like what Remender has done and will probably read this. He has revitalised characters like Zola. I didn't like Sharon dying partly because she did die not long ago as well but also because I like Steve/Sharon pairing but I think she will be back soon. Anyway, one thing I like is the supporting network developing here. It feels like a veritable Captain America family... almost like the Batfamily in DC. Here we have Steve, Sam, Jet and Ian. Hope to see more added as I love big superhero support networks. Also, more villains... HYDRA coming back is good but want to see more. Maybe some more Kirby villains brought back like Angron.... come on Remender, I know you can do it!

Everything we know about this story is significantly different than the Bucky Cap story. The only similarity is the someone-else is Captain America part, which is a big part sure, but really not that big when it comes to the whole of possibilities in narrative forms.
    Last edited by oldforce; 07-19-2014 at 02:36 PM.

I was already intending to get this to support Sam, hearing that Snap is being removed just makes me even happier to buy this book. I agree with the people that would rather just have great Falcon stories, I'm hoping that supporting Sam as Cap will make Marvel realise that a Falcon book is viable.

Quote Originally Posted by colloid View Post
    It sounds like he's rehashing stories that aren't that old. I'll read them and hope there's more to it than that.
    And this is one of the reasons why I think that this MIGHT not sell as well. Outside of CAP #25 and the first issue of ALL NEW CAP, I don't see this comic (or the ALL NEW THOR and IRON MAN comics) selling all that well. THese types of gimmicks and story lines have been done to death over the last 10 years.

BANNED

"Steve will still be around."

No, not really, because the guy who is going to be helping Sam back at base is apparently someone who would take a camera from a journalist simply because he was ordered to do so and he always follows orders no matter what, and that sounds nothing at all like the Steve Rogers that existed prior to Remender writing this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe Division View Post
    "Steve will still be around."

No, not really, because the guy who is going to be helping Sam back at base is apparently someone who would take a camera from a journalist simply because he was ordered to do so and he always follows orders no matter what, and that sounds nothing at all like the Steve Rogers that existed prior to Remender writing this book.
    Actually, it doesn't sound like the Rogers who has been in the book Remender has been writing either (re: his disgust with the Gungnir plan). I think he was trying to draw a contrast in the interview. Clearly the book as it is has been significantly more nuanced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    Actually, it doesn't sound like the Rogers who has been in the book Remender has been writing either (re: his disgust with the Gungnir plan). I think he was trying to draw a contrast in the interview. Clearly the book as it is has been significantly more nuanced.
    So once again he is contradicting his own continuity and/or having trouble expressing himself. Not surprising.