Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Making the falcon Captain America? I would love to see writers and artists come up with new characters in the marvel U rather than play musical chairs with existing ones.

BANNED

I love Sam Wilson/Falcon. Great character. I don't mind seeing him as Cap for a while.

But when Remender decided to use the Nuke arc to paint anyone who has right-leaning beliefs as terrorists, bigots, and murderers, he lost me. I have a few right-leaning beliefs, but also quite a few left leaning beliefs. The truth is, nothing in personal belief is usually black and white. Yet here we have Remender turn Cap into a political soapbox instead of a comic book.

It's because of this that I'm not interested in seeing Sam as Cap. Remender will turn it into more of a PC "fight the power" story instead of being about Sam and Steve. Brubaker would have done a great job with this had he not thought of bringing Bucky back and turning him into Cap.

The other thing that irks me to no end is that Remender and Alonso keep saying "this is going to be permanent" or "we have no exit plan." That's horse ****. EVERYONE knows the SQ will be back in place for Avengers 3 and/or Cap 3. Sadly, comics exist today to push movie properties more than the other way around. This gets Falcon, who was a breakout character in Cap 2, into the spotlight and keeps interest going in the Big 3 in the media and among comic book fans. It's just another stunt that would end up at least having a decent story at the core, except that it's Remender at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I love Sam Wilson/Falcon. Great character. I don't mind seeing him as Cap for a while.

But when Remender decided to use the Nuke arc to paint anyone who has right-leaning beliefs as terrorists, bigots, and murderers, he lost me. I have a few right-leaning beliefs, but also quite a few left leaning beliefs. The truth is, nothing in personal belief is usually black and white. Yet here we have Remender turn Cap into a political soapbox instead of a comic book.

It's because of this that I'm not interested in seeing Sam as Cap. Remender will turn it into more of a PC "fight the power" story instead of being about Sam and Steve. Brubaker would have done a great job with this had he not thought of bringing Bucky back and turning him into Cap.

The other thing that irks me to no end is that Remender and Alonso keep saying "this is going to be permanent" or "we have no exit plan." That's horse ****. EVERYONE knows the SQ will be back in place for Avengers 3 and/or Cap 3. Sadly, comics exist today to push movie properties more than the other way around. This gets Falcon, who was a breakout character in Cap 2, into the spotlight and keeps interest going in the Big 3 in the media and among comic book fans. It's just another stunt that would end up at least having a decent story at the core, except that it's Remender at the helm.
    Unless we get a not-so happy send off where Old Cap and Old Sharon Carter ride off into the sunset together 'coz if Dimension Z time dilation and then they both die of old age.

Then they'll still come back.

That this is your reaction only reinforces my desire to read and hopefully enjoy the next volume. This is the kind of dissonance that makes it necessary to defend these types of half-measure media-choices by large corporations, because certain readers refuse to baldly face the political implications of the stories they read and the broader narratives they reveal about the real world.

The Nuke arc paints a picture of a *specific kind of ideology, or part of ideology* which is dangerous and wrong. Sure there are going to be a few people who think that American imperialism and so-called exceptional-ism is not appropriate grounds for interrogating through fiction, but to a lot people who like Captain America (certainly all of it is there in the Brubaker run as well, what I've read of it) those kind of politically-charged stories are the bread and butter of the character. Indeed, even if a writer were to choose to make her run on Cap apolitical, the symbolism of the suit and the history of the character and the colors of the nation he wears on his back would necessarily create political meaning. You could have read on and saw how Cap dealt with the "specter of Communism" in the Iron Nail in the next arc.

To rob Cap of political implication is to say that this most explicit of political characters is off-limits to a broader discourse through its fiction, and then where is the platform to engage with ideas, their implications, of our actions and their consequences. If we don't test these things through imagination we're doomed to the worst mistakes as we experiment in how we behave in the actual world.

BANNED

What do you expect them to say? Only a fool would believe every word a pitchman says in an interview anyway. Yes, it's another "stunt" or "gimmick", or whatever the
    hell you want to call it, but that's what all of the stories actually are. And exactly why do readers need to know which way the story is going months in advance? Just
    because society has lost the ability to be patient, we now have a whole group of malcontents criticizing things that nobody has even read yet. So any of these interviews
    are going to be full of half-truths and outright lies if needed to keep from giving the story away. All for a group of people who probably complain more than they actually buy.
    I'm sorry Marvel has ruined your memories of childhood with all these gimmicks and stunts. I'm sure that was that was their goal. Don't businesses grow strong by pissing
    off their customers intentionally? Marvel even has a customer base that is pissed regardless of what they do, so I don't think Marvel is the one with the problem. Maybe a lot
    of people need to look at themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    That this is your reaction only reinforces my desire to read and hopefully enjoy the next volume. This is the kind of dissonance that makes it necessary to defend these types of half-measure media-choices by large corporations, because certain readers refuse to baldly face the political implications of the stories they read and the broader narratives they reveal about the real world.

The Nuke arc paints a picture of a *specific kind of ideology, or part of ideology* which is dangerous and wrong. Sure there are going to be a few people who think that American imperialism and so-called exceptional-ism is not appropriate grounds for interrogating through fiction, but to a lot people who like Captain America (certainly all of it is there in the Brubaker run as well, what I've read of it) those kind of politically-charged stories are the bread and butter of the character. Indeed, even if a writer were to choose to make her run on Cap apolitical, the symbolism of the suit and the history of the character and the colors of the nation he wears on his back would necessarily create political meaning. You could have read on and saw how Cap dealt with the "specter of Communism" in the Iron Nail in the next arc.

To rob Cap of political implication is to say that this most explicit of political characters is off-limits to a broader discourse through its fiction, and then where is the platform to engage with ideas, their implications, of our actions and their consequences. If we don't test these things through imagination we're doomed to the worst mistakes as we experiment in how we behave in the actual world.
    Just want to applaud this reply. This is perfect.

Sam, come to Detroit. Detroit needs help.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    .... i've never been a big fan of the Sam Wilson character. I have , on the other hand, been a big fan of the Falcon character design. I think the Falcon character design is excellent.

So why would i celebrate Sam Wilson only being given a spotlight due to being placed in Steve Rogers costume * as opposed* to simply writing better stories and empowering Sam Wilson as THE FALCON ?
    You only have to look at how Iron Patriot tanked to see why that is not a viable option.

The mantle is needed to bolster the character or else he will be selling 12k issues a month after four issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    And this is one of the reasons why I think that this MIGHT not sell as well. Outside of CAP #25 and the first issue of ALL NEW CAP, I don't see this comic (or the ALL NEW THOR and IRON MAN comics) selling all that well. THese types of gimmicks and story lines have been done to death over the last 10 years.
    Have you looked at the sales for Cap, Thor and Iron Man recently? A-list characters should struggle to sell above 40k a month. Something needs to change because solid creative teams and great concepts are not moving units.

Thanks. I got bored of Remender's Cap mid-Dimension X arc, but now I want to read it.

The Green Skull was a left-wing terrorist (and so was Flag-Smasher.) People have forgotten.

There needs to be a team-up with Black Panther and Sam Wilson as soon as possible. I want an independent mini-series. Get Reggie Hudlin or C. Priest involved.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If they can get Priest, they ought to just give him the whole thing.
    The mantle is needed to bolster the character or else he will be selling 12k issues a month after four issues.
    Then there's no point in ever trying, if the idea is just to make him a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    "Snap" Wilson was the retcon, done by Steve Englehart, now it's being de-conned.
    He's been Snap for longer than he hasn't.

All-New Member

How unoriginal! Another Captain America story where Steve Rogers gets replaced for an undetermined period of time. It was just done by Brubaker a few years ago (although I have to say that his take on it was well done, IMO). The Falcon has been a great character for over 40 years and deserves some time in the spotlight, but why as a substitute Cap. A Falcon series would be a nice change from the usual monthly output of Marvel.
    I dropped this current Cap series a while back as it was not doing it for me and this new status quo is not going to bring me back anytime time soon.

This should actually read, "because certain readers refuse to baldly face the political implications of the stories they read and the broader narratives they reveal about the author's opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post

Have you looked at the sales for Cap, Thor and Iron Man recently? A-list characters should struggle to sell above 40k a month. Something needs to change because solid creative teams and great concepts are not moving units.
    And they don't. You see low sales when the book is lacking in great concepts. Brubaker had a great concept and sold tons of Captain America. Fans apparently don't like what Remender is doing so Marvel jumps the shark.

So if a Captain America comic doesn't explore political concepts then the world is doomed to repeat it's worst mistakes? Bit dramatic.