Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Damnation is pretty disappointing, am i right? (Spoilers for Nr.3)

Hey,

like many i looked really foreward to Marvel's corner event, because i like the mix of horror and action. But so far - i read the main series up to today's Nr.3 - it is pretty lackluster.

It is really really decompressed: So far we had: Dr. Strange resurrects Las Vegas, Mephisto comes too and brings trouble, Wong recruits some people, they fight in a street. So far only Blade, Ghost Rider and Strange's dog got some shinning moments. Character's like Moon Knight, Iron Fist and Bloodstone are only window dressing.

Perhaps the ti-ins offer more, but i feel like it is a missed opportunity. Especcially with a setting like the demonic Las Vegas. There could be so many cool moments you could do. But so far it is a really drawn out, not very engaging fight scene.

Perhaps more dynamic art could help it.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Sounds strange that Stephen Strange isn't getting some push since his movie was a success is it too much for them to just become a movie studio since syncing their comics with their movie success has been bad?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Sounds strange that Stephen Strange isn't getting some push since his movie was a success is it too much for them to just become a movie studio since syncing their comics with their movie success has been bad?
    Strange has had a few months with double shipping since Secret Wars and now a small event centered around him. This seems like a push to me. Granted, not a Wolverine-sized push, but he's not fading into obscurity.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Strange has had a few months with double shipping since Secret Wars and now a small event centered around him. This seems like a push to me. Granted, not a Wolverine-sized push, but he's not fading into obscurity.
    Oh I'm not wondering why he's not getting such a huge push I'm wondering why the writing on his book is not very good because good writing alone is enough in some ways to push a character.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I like the art

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Dr. Strange would likely never fade into obscurity, book or not. No writer is willing to really develop another magic character, and later writers would be unlikely to follow up on the first writer.

My major question is why the hell is Dr. Strange being such a damn idiot these days? Isn't he supposed to know his business?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    Hey,

like many i looked really foreward to Marvel's corner event, because i like the mix of horror and action. But so far - i read the main series up to today's Nr.3 - it is pretty lackluster.

It is really really decompressed: So far we had: Dr. Strange resurrects Las Vegas, Mephisto comes too and brings trouble, Wong recruits some people, they fight in a street. So far only Blade, Ghost Rider and Strange's dog got some shinning moments. Character's like Moon Knight, Iron Fist and Bloodstone are only window dressing.

Perhaps the ti-ins offer more, but i feel like it is a missed opportunity. Especcially with a setting like the demonic Las Vegas. There could be so many cool moments you could do. But so far it is a really drawn out, not very engaging fight scene.

I actually enjoyed Damnation #3, even though I do wish the art had been by Rod Reis.

Is this an earth-shaking mini? No. I'd say it's been just ok. But it's still cool to have these characters, several of whom don't always get much attention, together.

Elsa Bloodstone's disses of Scarlet Spider alone would've made me warm up to this issue - I laughed out loud when she called him "Diet Spider-Man" - but Moon Knight attempting to lift Mjolnir (believing that one of his personalities might be worth) was also great, as was Blade's fight with a possessed Jane Foster Thor and Johnny Storm has a very big moment at the issue's end.

I'm still hoping that something spins out of this eventually but even if it doesn't, at least at just four issues it wasn't a huge commitment and it's delivered a few neat bits along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Dr. Strange would likely never fade into obscurity, book or not. No writer is willing to really develop another magic character, and later writers would be unlikely to follow up on the first writer.

My major question is why the hell is Dr. Strange being such a damn idiot these days? Isn't he supposed to know his business?
    I doubt he is going to fade either, but he's getting more than he historically has as far as pages are concerned.

As to whether he's being written well, or if he appears to be an intelligent character in his current state... That's a whole different question altogether.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Oh I'm not wondering why he's not getting such a huge push I'm wondering why the writing on his book is not very good because good writing alone is enough in some ways to push a character.
    The writing on his book has been good. The general consensus has been that Cates' run has been pretty excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    Hey,

Any explanation yet as to how evil Ghost Rider Thor is able to lift Mjolnir? I would think that serving Mephisto automatically equals not worthy.

While I liked the art especially in the first issue, the style is very stiff for issues 2 and 3 especially in the action scenes.

I liked issue 1, the set up was great.

Issue 2 was a little disappointing, we get a lot of banter and some comedy. More of a middle of the road issue just establishing the heroes and the stakes.

Issue #3 was better than #2. We get a little action and a big surprise at the end, which will probably be a big twist for the next issue.

The set up and the premiss was pretty interesting, but than it became kind fo a run of the mill adventure against overwhelming odds.

Will see if the final issue can save it. It hasn't been bad but not as interesting as I thought it would be given the first issue.

Also is Elsa Bloodstone always this snappy? She probably adds the most humor outside of the dog. Her and Moon Knight anyway.

This was only 4 issues so you've got to have realistic expectations after this first issue sets the pace.
    Last edited by Jabare; 03-21-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Any explanation yet as to how evil Ghost Rider Thor is able to lift Mjolnir? I would think that serving Mephisto automatically equals not worthy.
    the qualifications or guidelines for "worthiness" have never been expressly laid out. Hydra/Nazi Cap was able to lift mjolnr no problem
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    the qualifications or guidelines for "worthiness" have never been expressly laid out. Hydra/Nazi Cap was able to lift mjolnr no problem
    Secret Empire explicitly showed how he 'cheated' using the reality altering powers of the Cube. Perhaps things like One More Day suggest Mephisto can operate at that level as well... guess whether you buy him being able to mess with the enchantment depends on whether Las Vegas counts as his realm right now.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Secret Empire explicitly showed how he 'cheated' using the reality altering powers of the Cube. Perhaps things like One More Day suggest Mephisto can operate at that level as well... guess whether you buy him being able to mess with the enchantment depends on whether Las Vegas counts as his realm right now.
    going by issue #1 and #3 Mephisto seems pretty omni-potent.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

I'm a fan to be honest.