Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The general idea is that Superman wouldn’t be an ******* and say what Jurgens did.
    Helps when your cell structure is such that even the fattest normie would feel about as "crushing" as a giant soap bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To which I say....so what? Maybe those people just plain don’t want to live up to someone else’s body image and are happy with who they are. Who the hell are we to criticize them for their lifestyle choices, for the way they choose to live? What idiosyncrasies do you have that would cause you to be looked down upon, to be derided, laughed at or humiliated? That’s not a road I want to go down like Jurgens had done.
    Jurgens was complaining about people who make a choice that affects others. His complaint wasn't that the person was fat, but that the person was spilling into his seat.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Yeah, he was rude to rant about it on twitter, but the other guy's life style choices were indeed effecting him in that situation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No one in his position is thinking "oh this is wonderful!"

But you have to suck it up, thats life. Pay a little extra and go first class if you can, or just deal with it. I'm pretty sure the overweight guy isn't having a great time either.
    Very much agreed.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

But you have to suck it up, thats life. Pay a little extra and go first class if you can, or just deal with it. I'm pretty sure the overweight guy isn't having a great time either.
    I disagree. It's the person that can't fit in the seat as any other person can that should pay extra for their accommodations. They are inconveniencing me by their body encroaching on my space. Sometimes it's not PC to say so but many of them are making bad lifestyle choices and choices have consequences. I've seen people in the grocery stores riding in the motorized carts for the handicapped and they barely fit. There was a husband and wife shopping side by side, both of them probably 300 - 400 lbs in the ice cream isle with carts full of things they should be avoiding in their diet. I think to myself if they just get out of that cart and walk around the store and get some steps in it would be a small way to start losing weight. I have a desk job but make it a point to get up and walk around periodically. I might go to the mall and walk around in the winter. If you don't want to spend your senior years being bedridden or in a wheelchair, you are the only person that can do something about it.

Incredible Member

You're not wrong, Dan, you're just an *******.

Astonishing Member

Pretty much. Plus given we have no way of knowing how literal or not the whole "spilling over into the next seat" was, since my image of a person that big wouldn't fit in one or two normal airplane chairs anyway. So it just makes Jurgens look like a whiner.

Flights on planes are essentially ALWAYS Russian Roulette for any number of reasons. Don't ask someone else to pay extra for YOUR convenience.

And many people who take flights like these and know how big they are TEND to do what they can to mitigate it. Not to mention who knows just what that person is on the flight for. Maybe they're flying out for some kind of emergency and had no time to plan for it like they might normally. Who knows. Don't make fun of someone for being a way they can't change in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    You're not wrong, Dan, you're just an *******.
    Pretty sure that makes him wrong too in this case. Or at least relatively so.

And Dan's back to tweeting last night and completely ignoring/not addressing his previous tweets about the flight.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm having crazy silver age Superman flashbacks.

1. He wasn’t calling out “fat people.” He was venting about one guy who he did not name.
    2. Who gives a rip?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I think it is of interest that in most cases, airlines have a rule about overweight passengers. Jurgens post doesn't get specific about whether or not the passenger he was next to had to use a seatbelt extension and couldn't put the armrest down. In most cases, the passenger who can't fit has to buy a second seat at the time of booking or if they can't be seated they have to book two seats on a later flight.

Airlines that require a passenger to buy a 2nd seat when they can't fit into a seat with the armrest down include

Allegiant
    American
    Frontier
    Southwest advises the customer to discuss their situation at the gate and if there is room available they will accommodate with a complimentary 2nd seat. Sounds good but most of the time when I've flown SW they're flights are full. It's possible they may ask for a volunteer to take a later flight to make room.
    Spirit Airlines advises to buy a second seat at booking or book their
    United requires that the passenger buy the extra seat for each leg of their journey. They also can buy a first class seat or business class

Notice that in each case the passenger that is overweight that has to be to make the proper booking, not their fellow passengers.

I think a lot of you are also ignoring that it is a safety issue also.

Jurgens was wrong to tweet about it without bringing it up to the flight attendant. The airline was wrong for not accommodating him if they weren't going to have the overweight passenger take a later flight and book two seats or move them elsewhere.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-23-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Jurgens stepped on his **** with the tweet. Just bad manners, or maybe venting about one thing that happened on an excessively bad day. Also not helping himself by not performing damage control.

All that said, I'm glad that I am not by any measure famous. That's not because I desire to say mean stuff from behind a shield of anonymity, but because I need not worry about The Whole World feeling empowered to correct me on those (more often than I'd like) occasions where I commit a stupidity.

Mighty Member

Maybe the fat guy farted while right next to him.

Astonishing Member

Yeah trust me I get it. He's not entirely wrong because I can see why it's annoying and often even a safety issue (and I'm aware of how airlines usually work regarding this, though even they have fairly disparate rules and follow through about it) but the way he said it just comes off as fat shaming which really just isn't cool.

And at the end of the day I'd see the issue being more regarding the Airlines than either passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Yeah trust me I get it. He's not entirely wrong because I can see why it's annoying and often even a safety issue (and I'm aware of how airlines usually work regarding this, though even they have fairly disparate rules and follow through about it) but the way he said it just comes off as fat shaming which really just isn't cool.

And at the end of the day I'd see the issue being more regarding the Airlines than either passenger.
    Exactly. They should have settled the issue by moving the one or the other somewhere else but we know that flights are very full these days.

Ehh....I don't even think he can be accused of fat shaming either. Did he name the passenger or take a photo? No

And hands up everyone here that's never made any insulting cracks or comments in some of your observations/conversations with your friends. His mistake was using Twitter to vent. If he was just having a conversation with a friend and said the same thing there wouldn't be this internet drama.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-23-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    All that said, I'm glad that I am not by any measure famous. That's not because I desire to say mean stuff from behind a shield of anonymity, but because I need not worry about The Whole World feeling empowered to correct me on those (more often than I'd like) occasions where I commit a stupidity.
    Exactly. Jurgens has hardly covered himself in glory here. He'll probably end up apologising in the end. He's probably just let his frustrations get the better of him though. Fat shaming? Get out of here. He didn't name the guy or take photos to try and embarrass him.

I'm sure that there are actually people that trawl the internet looking for **** like this so they can whip up a storm of mock outrage. Sad.