Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm not being a grammar nazi. My point is that when people are being self-destructive, we need to help them break that cycle. Judging them or their behaviour is basically shaming and doesn't give them the support they need. I've no idea what you mean by "Gotcha moment".
    Judging does not automatically equate to shaming. You can have positive and negative judgements of something to varying degrees of severity. Being firm on your disapproval of a course of action isn't shaming or bullying, its not being an enabler. Sometimes having too soft a touch, being too subtle, doesn't cut it. The Gotcha moment was you splitting hairs on terminology to infer a different context from the point I laid out. The "oh, you slipped up, I'm focusing on one word and making that the entire linchpin of what you're saying, regardless of the stated intent" moment. Disapproval and harsh disapproval are not the same thing, have different effects and are both judgements. Just like your attempt to break the cycle is a value judgement on the cycle that persons choosing to engage in, their personal choice, is not something you support and are even going to attempt to actively circumvent. If you didn't judge, it would be because you didn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Judging does not automatically equate to shaming. You can have positive and negative judgements of something to varying degrees of severity. Being firm on your disapproval of a course of action isn't shaming or bullying, its not being an enabler. Sometimes having too soft a touch, being too subtle, doesn't cut it. The Gotcha moment was you splitting hairs on terminology to infer a different context from the point I laid out. The "oh, you slipped up, I'm focusing on one word and making that the entire linchpin of what you're saying, regardless of the stated intent" moment. Disapproval and harsh disapproval are not the same thing, have different effects and are both judgements. Just like your attempt to break the cycle is a value judgement on the cycle that persons choosing to engage in, their personal choice, is not something you support and are even going to attempt to actively circumvent. If you didn't judge, it would be because you didn't care
    Where do you draw the line between someone being compassionate and sympathetic to someone being an enabler? This is something I have been struggling with lately, on more issues than just weight problems.
    When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.

My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Where do you draw the line between someone being compassionate and sympathetic to someone being an enabler? This is something I have been struggling with lately, on more issues than just weight problems.
    There is being silent when it's clear you should say something. Staying silent on a problem can be construed as tacit approval. After that, it's really a question of degrees as is warranted by a situation. Stressing a point a bit more if it came off as too mild the first time around and the serious concern didn't quite register. Of course making people aware you are there for them but not making excuses (an enabler will make excuses or pleasantries to feel good about themselves, which isn't helpful, just enforcing a delusion of healthy behaviour). Just honestly engaging that there is a problem and showing commitment, tact where needed and a willingness to address the serious implications of the problem and the need to address it being out of love/ caring. Sometimes, some people don't want help with a destructive vice, I'm sad to say. That's my advice since you asked, hope its helpful

It also depends on the relationship between yourself and the person you're talking to. For instance, a man can be harsh when he tells his best friend, whom he's known since high school, that he's putting on a few pounds, but that same man may need to be more delicate telling the same thing to his wife.

It sounds like we're working to slightly different definitions of "judge", but it's clear you aren't judging them in the way I was talking about.

I wasn't splitting hairs. I genuinely misunderstood you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    It sounds like we're working to slightly different definitions of "judge", but it's clear you aren't judging them in the way I was talking about.

I wasn't splitting hairs. I genuinely misunderstood you.
    I misunderstood where you were coming from as well, then. Sorry if however caustic I may've come off seemed unwarranted

I misunderstood where you were coming from as well, then. Sorry if however caustic I may've come off seemed unwarranted
    It's all good.