Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations WPP!

and

Scott Tyler too

.... You said something very important in that you decided to just get up and walk more. I see too many overweight people using those motorized shopping carts these days. Maybe their joints are compromised and they have to. But at some point they they may have become too sedentary.

My mom had arthritis and some days it would be bad. I would offer to get one of those motorized carts to sit in but she refused. She was about 5 ft 2 and maybe 90 lbs but she wanted to keep walking as long as she could.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Congratulations WPP!

and

Scott Tyler too

.... You said something very important in that you decided to just get up and walk more. I see too many overweight people using those motorized shopping carts these days. Maybe their joints are compromised and they have to. But at some point they they may have become too sedentary.

My mom had arthritis and some days it would be bad. I would offer to get one of those motorized carts to sit in but she refused. She was about 5 ft 2 and maybe 90 lbs but she wanted to keep walking as long as she could.
    Totally agree. Unless you have no choice, stay way from the carts. My mother has bad knees and it's difficult for her to walk, but she still does it without the cart at stores. She knows giving in will only make things worse in the long run.

As a middle-aged man, I still love to run and up down stairs just like I did as a kid (two steps at a time! ) I try to walk briskly, too. IMO, every little thing you can do helps.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Totally agree. Unless you have no choice, stay way from the carts. My mother has bad knees and it's difficult for her to walk, but she still does it without the cart at stores. She knows giving in will only make things worse in the long run.

As a middle-aged man, I still love to run and up down stairs just like I did as a kid (two steps at a time! ) I try to walk briskly, too. IMO, every little thing you can do helps.
    At 59, I’m no spring chicken, but I do all I can to stay active.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    At 59, I’m no spring chicken, but I do all I can to stay active.
    I'm almost 53, so I'm not that far behind you.

most of the 5k runners I know are over 50. they are certainly in better shape than a lot of 20 year olds that I've met. so there must be something to staying active.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    most of the 5k runners I know are over 50. they are certainly in better shape than a lot of 20 year olds that I've met. so there must be something to staying active.
    Indeed. I know I'm in better shape than I was in my twenties, especially when it comes to strength.

I would be interested in his take on that, since he was told he had to leave from a flight himself.
    That's what I was getting at. Hasn't replied to my tweet yet, though.

Fantastic Member

I use my job as my fitness regime. According to my Fitbit step tracker I average 35+ miles of walking a week. Yesterday I got stuck working 14 hours straight (yuck!) and logged in over 22,000 steps or just under 10 miles. Not all of those steps are newsworthy - like taking a few steps to check a gauge - but in the end it must do something as I have a pretty steady weight of 170 at 5'9. During the winter months I go skiing 8 to 10 times and ski until my legs are burning. Then I stop so I don't crash and get injured. Time frame for skiing depending on the conditions and the hardness level of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Its a mental illness like schizophrenia or like bulimia? When someones bulimic, you don't reinforce there behavior as being neutral and the consequences not mattering. You judge the problem behaviour, not them on the whole. Because that's a behavioral issue, not persons grip on reality is less and less firm issue. Judging doesn't mean verbally whaling on someone with a proverbial bat until they collapse, which seems to be a big misunderstanding of terms here.
    You said "Those people are judged". That's judging the people, not the behaviour. Judging the behaviour is clearly not as bad, but I still don't think it's the right approach.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And airlines are scheming to make seats smaller and leg room even more nonexistent than it already is now.
    Which will make the flights more affordable. And for people who care more about leg room than price, more airlines are doing premium economy these days, which is a lot cheaper than business class, but still quite comfortable.

I heard that Premium Economy is for other reasons than leg room, such as boarding and eating benefits, while perhaps giving some premium seats up to six inches more leg room in length. However, the regular seats are not made shorter in leg length, they are just the standard leg length room. Is this not so?

Mighty Member

I’m now reminded of the CEO of RyanAir (though Jurgens is nowhere near as bad).

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Indeed. I know I'm in better shape than I was in my twenties, especially when it comes to strength.
    I was thin in my 20s but not in great shape physically. I smoked, drank, stayed out later than I should, etc. It started to catch up to me around 30 and I started to get pretty heavy. But now I'm nearly back down to my weight when I was 25, but have much more muscle mass, and am in much, much better general health.

This coming year I'll finish my second marathon, and next I'm going to begin training for my first Iron Man.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 03-29-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Which will make the flights more affordable. And for people who care more about leg room than price, more airlines are doing premium economy these days, which is a lot cheaper than business class, but still quite comfortable.
    This is actually the first time I've heard of this and I hope they continue along these lines. I would like to see them have more leg room and wider seats but that's a real long shot I suppose. It's better than buying 2 seats if you can have a larger seat for maybe $50-75 more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This is actually the first time I've heard of this and I hope they continue along these lines. I would like to see them have more leg room and wider seats but that's a real long shot I suppose. It's better than buying 2 seats if you can have a larger seat for maybe $50-75 more.
    The last time I flew was fifteen years ago, but, at 6 foot 2 with long legs, I wouldn't at all mind paying extra for more leg room.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!