Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Krypton on Syfy

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to. I thought it was boring, except for the Adam Strange parts. I also don't get why they used British actors for certain parts. It really ruins the feel of the show, unless we're to believe that Kryptonians are from the UK.

I swear some of the actors kept calling Seg "Zedge", "Zed" or "Sadge". It kept sounding different and it was annoying.

The "fight" scenes were not very convincing at all. Really vanilla.

The only thing that hooked me was seeing Braniac. So I'll watch another few episodes and if it doesn't pick up, then I'm out.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mighty Member

Default Krypton on Syfy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Still watching the pilot now but it amazes me how much better this version of Krypton is vs the Krypton on Man Of Steel. Not a CGI Space Dragon Fly in sight. The sets and scenery are impressive.
    Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but sets and scenery are about the only thing CW has going here. Lousy acting on a number of fronts. Incoherent and deadly dull dialogue and plotline. Throwing too many reveals into the first episode. This looks like a teen fodder throwaway from Disney/Freeform. I say if it keeps up like this it will be the first cancel since Tomorrow People which was a better show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but sets and scenery are about the only thing CW has going here. Lousy acting on a number of fronts. Incoherent and deadly dull dialogue and plotline. Throwing too many reveals into the first episode. This looks like a teen fodder throwaway from Disney/Freeform. I say if it keeps up like this it will be the first cancel since Tomorrow People which was a better show.
    this show is on SyFy not CW

also literally all of that is your opinion

Agreed, Elmo.

Also, don't "burst anyone's bubble"--if people like it, we like it. And we know why we like it. Today, any show could be cancelled at any time, but we Hope that this show continues and only gets better and better.

(sighs)

I'm a sucker for the Big Blue Boy Scout. His whole franchise really.

I watched SUPERBOY, LOIS & CLARK, SMALLVILLE, and SUPERGIRL (that last one is on super-thin ice with me). I've caught some episodes of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN online.

KRYPTON is ... fine.

It's really a missed opportunity so far.

I'll keep watching, but they could have gone in a much more rewarding direction, even keeping the Superman-less setting on Krypton.

This ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY review sums it up nicely for me. Esp this part:

"Cuffe is charmingly roguish in the pilot, displaying a Chris Pratt-esque ability to make a bar fight seem like a joke with a grin and a wink. The problem is in the character itself, which the writers seem to have assembled patchwork from stories we’ve seen before.

Seg is a society-spurned street rat with a heart of gold (Aladdin) who is burdened not only with a star-crossed love for Lyta Zod than can never be (Romeo & Juliet) but also a capital-letter Great Destiny only he can fulfill, despite the fact his father worriedly says he is not ready (every Y.A. story in the past decade). He even shops at the same outer-space jacket emporium as Han Solo and Star Lord."

Here's hoping this new Superverse show doesn't pull a SUPERGIRL and find a new way to poop all over Superman to prop its own story up.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    (sighs)

I'm a sucker for the Big Blue Boy Scout. His whole franchise really.

I watched SUPERBOY, LOIS & CLARK, SMALLVILLE, and SUPERGIRL (that last one is on super-thin ice with me). I've caught some episodes of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN online.

KRYPTON is ... fine.

It's really a missed opportunity so far.

I'll keep watching, but they could have gone in a much more rewarding direction, even keeping the Superman-less setting on Krypton.

This ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY review sums it up nicely for me. Esp this part:

"Cuffe is charmingly roguish in the pilot, displaying a Chris Pratt-esque ability to make a bar fight seem like a joke with a grin and a wink. The problem is in the character itself, which the writers seem to have assembled patchwork from stories we’ve seen before.

Seg is a society-spurned street rat with a heart of gold (Aladdin) who is burdened not only with a star-crossed love for Lyta Zod than can never be (Romeo & Juliet) but also a capital-letter Great Destiny only he can fulfill, despite the fact his father worriedly says he is not ready (every Y.A. story in the past decade). He even shops at the same outer-space jacket emporium as Han Solo and Star Lord."

Here's hoping this new Superverse show doesn't pull a SUPERGIRL and find a new way to poop all over Superman to prop its own story up.
    Considering the first episode Adam Strange called Superman the "Universe's Greatest Hero", I don't think they are going to "poop" on Superman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    this show is on SyFy not CW

also literally all of that is your opinion
    Same company owns the rights both DC/WB and this makes it even more certain that Fox will dump it if it struggles in the ratings. All they have to do is pull a Firefly and start showing episodes out of sequence. Didn't Fox do the same thing to Karl Urban's show? Out of sequence and dumped? Still a lousy start and I was looking forward to this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Same company owns the rights both DC/WB and this makes it even more certain that Fox will dump it if it struggles in the ratings. All they have to do is pull a Firefly and start showing episodes out of sequence. Didn't Fox do the same thing to Karl Urban's show? Out of sequence and dumped? Still a lousy start and I was looking forward to this.
    How do those things even correlate

Fox doesn't own SyFy, NBC does

Like what are you even trying to say right now

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    How do those things even correlate

Fox doesn't own SyFy, NBC does

Like what are you even trying to say right now
    Sorry for the mistake I hardly ever watch SYFY shows except on Netflix. I hate the non stop ads. I tend to lump all WB/DC shows together because it really doesn't matter what network they are on they are aimed at the same audience. The fact that Krypton is on SYFY is better than FOX or NBC because those two are prone to early cancellation. SYFY's management structure is hopefully independent of NBC and can make a commitment to let Krypton develop because what we have with the premiere isn't very good. Probably the reason I thought of FOX at one point is Krypton reminds me of the Godawful Terranova from a few seasons back. Same mistakes in execution here and there. The bottom line is if this show doesn't pick up even SYFY has cancelled a few times. I hope not but so it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to. I thought it was boring, except for the Adam Strange parts. I also don't get why they used British actors for certain parts. It really ruins the feel of the show, unless we're to believe that Kryptonians are from the UK.
    Well seeing as there’s no actual Kryptonians available to play the parts, what’s wrong with having British or any other accent?
    Unless you believe Kryptonians are from the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Well seeing as there’s no actual Kryptonians available to play the parts, what’s wrong with having British or any other accent?
    Unless you believe Kryptonians are from the USA?
    Kara Zor-El's parents had American accents and Kara had an American accent even when she was a child. Also her Aunt Astra. The only one with a British accent was her Uncle Non.

I think the movies popularized the notion that Kryptonians have British accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the movies popularized the notion that Kryptonians have British accents.
    Well, the citizens of Kandor do, at least.

Astonishing Member

I liked the show but have the problem with all time locked shows where we know the outcome. Krypton goes boom and Kandor ends up in a bottle. If I didn't know that - it would be more fun. The accents don't bother me. I would like to know Adam's backstory here. On the other Superman-ish shows, Kal is not the greatest hero in the universe but pretty Earth bound. In the Silver Age, Kal was flying around the universe, not so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, the citizens of Kandor do, at least.
    I wonder if Kandor will be the only Kryptonian city in the series. Or if they will also have Argo City. Maybe the citizens of Argo City have American accents. Does anyone know the locations of Kandor and Argo City.
    Like is Kandor in the Old World and Argo City in the New World? It sort of looks that way in this map. Argo City is on one side and Kandor is on the other side.