Default Out of continuity Superman You want to read

With DC's Black Label, there is an effort to tell stories which isn't bound by strict continuity of DC Universe. The first effort is Frank Miller's Superman. Hopefully, it turns out great. So, my question is what stories of Superman, do you want to read?

longshot- more Landisverse superman and more Hernan Guerra from JL:Gods and Monsters.

BANNED

Nothing written by Miller, that's for sure. He's long past his prime, at least with superheroes. I'd rather see him do more Daredevil or create new crime stuff.

Landis is overrated and has demonstrated he doesn't get Superman unless he's allowed to mix in a healthy dose of Batman. I'm sick of that trend and I'd rather see someone who loves and understands the character do something out of continuity.

This is reaching pretty far back, but the great Barry Windsor-Smith was working on a Superman OGN, "An Evening with Superman." It's apparently dead, but I'd love to see it revived or to see BWS work on a new story.

If DC really wants to get buzz for this new label, they should approach filmmakers with an affinity for Superman and see if they'd be up for an OGN or even a prestige one-shot. I've long wanted Brad Bird to write and direct a Superman movie, as he clearly loves the character, but if that's not going to happen, let him tell a story in comic form. Pair him with Doc Shaner and you'd have a classic.

The other big fan of Superman who I'd love to hear more from is Jerry Seinfeld. He's got to have a Superman story in him, maybe an Adventures of Superman tale? His references in the show were largely to the Reeves version.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Something like a modern take on the Golden Age. Instead of fighting aliens and monsters he fights corrupt politicians and businessmen. More down to Earth stuff. Make it a focus on Clark Kent and his investigative skills. Superman is just what he uses to capture the bad guys. He can have all his powers but it's not a focus on that. Think the 1950s TV show. No other superheroes are referenced. No Batman team ups. No Justice League. No focus on his past. Just him fighting the corrupt elements of his city. He can even be something of an urban legend. Hunted by the cops. That sort of thing. If it's going to be mature, then let's use it to tackle believable stories.
    Assassinate Putin!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

As a huge fan of Bryan Q. Miller's Smallville season 11, I would love to see a season 12.

I think a Matt Fraction take on Superman might also be very interesting.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

A Superman vs Big Brother type story.

The JMS take in Marvel's Supreme Power still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And all those DCU organizations like the DEO, Task Force X and such have gotten old. And the less said about Superman in the Flashpoint (not New 52) Universe the better.

So I'd love to see a take on Superman where he basically exists in opposition to human authority without him becoming some sort of dictator. A Superman who easily outmaneuvers the Amanda Wallers, General Sam Kents, Nick Furys, Jason Trasks, etc while doing good.

I would love to see Clark Kent on a blog like he was supposed to do with Cat Grant in the New 52, and he uses this to take on the media. Not even anything to do with Superman but to see the power of Clark.

As for Superman, I would love to see a story with him existing in 30's as a younger Superman who starts off. No other heroes at all, no Luthor. Just him taking on social issues.

A continuation of Charles Soule Superman/Wonder Woman, at least in spirit, where the two characters are actually allowed to deal with questions of dual identities, origins, sudden revelation about family history, etc. and how peoples affected by it can react very differently and still be friends or lovers, or whatever. Honestly, since D.C. is still raking money from the SM/WW marchandising everywhere, they should use this Black Label to do that kind of books, if it's truly out of continuity stuff.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Something like a modern take on the Golden Age. Instead of fighting aliens and monsters he fights corrupt politicians and businessmen. More down to Earth stuff. Make it a focus on Clark Kent and his investigative skills. Superman is just what he uses to capture the bad guys. He can have all his powers but it's not a focus on that. Think the 1950s TV show. No other superheroes are referenced. No Batman team ups. No Justice League. No focus on his past. Just him fighting the corrupt elements of his city. He can even be something of an urban legend. Hunted by the cops. That sort of thing. If it's going to be mature, then let's use it to tackle believable stories.
    This sounds interesting.

I still hope all these books don't NEED to be rated-R but rather this title becomes more a place for all Elseworlds, adult or not.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

1. I want to read the Silver Age with all its weirdness. He can fly to galaxies light years away. Helping out aliens and whole universe is his playground. The fantastic Fortress of Solitude with Kandor and giant diary and giant keys and robots and Jimmy Olsen's weird transformations and time travel. Somewhat like All Star.

2. The same as the first but decidedly for kids. Cartoonish, whimsical and fun in tone.

3. Superman dynasty dark. Superman is presumed dead for centuries in a far of galaxy. In his absence his descendants try to follow in his footsteps. But they divide into two factions. The dark ones take over the planet and put their eyes on farther planets. Superman suffering from amnesia and seemingly powerless returns. Superman is now the last hope. Will he reunite the two warring factions? Warring dynasties. But on a cosmic scale.

4. Sick of stories with Lois dying horrible deaths. A story where Lois and Clark are a super team far in the future. Can be done in #3 too as an element.

Want to read the people of Metropolis and Daily Planet. Though it looks like Bendis is going to do that.

I would love to read this. But with one change. Let the aliens and monsters and mad scientists appear once in a while. He would fight the corrupt elements most of the times. That's natural as that is not going to change soon. But alien attacks or scientists shall happen too. That would be less frequent. These instances are supposed to be rare.

And i won't mind other heroes as long as they make the rarest of appearances. It shall be Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    As a huge fan of Bryan Q. Miller's Smallville season 11, I would love to see a season 12.

I think a Matt Fraction take on Superman might also be very interesting.
    How can Matt Fraction's take on Superman be interesting? I have heard about him. But i haven't read any of his work.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-23-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    1. I want to read the Silver Age with all its weirdness. He can fly to galaxies light years away. Helping out aliens and whole universe is his playground. The fantastic Fortress of Solitude with Kandor and giant diary and giant keys and robots and Jimmy Olsen's weird transformations and time travel. Somewhat like All Star.

2. The same as the first but decidedly for kids. Cartoonish, whimsical and fun in tone.

3. Superman dynasty dark. Superman is presumed dead for centuries in a far of galaxy. In his absence his descendants try to follow in his footsteps. But they divide into two factions. The dark ones take over the planet and put their eyes on farther planets. Superman suffering from amnesia and seemingly powerless returns. Superman is now the last hope. Will he reunite the two warring factions? Warring dynasties. But on a cosmic scale.

4. Sick of stories with Lois dying horrible deaths. A story where Lois and Clark are a super team far in the future. Can be done in #3 too as an element.

Want to read the people of Metropolis and Daily Planet. Though it looks like Bendis is going to do that.

I would love to read this. But with one change. Let the aliens and monsters and mad scientists appear once in a while. He would fight the corrupt elements most of the times. That's natural as that is not going to change soon. But alien attacks or scientists shall happen too. That would be less frequent. These instances are supposed to be rare.

And i won't mind other heroes as long as they make the rarest of appearances. It shall be Superman.
    THESE! I WANT THESE! Particularly the SA one!

And my original concept was a sort of Noir version of the DC universe. Where it's sort of a realistic take on Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. So he's at his original power levels. He's really strong and fast but can't fly and doesn't have vision powers. The only thing he knows about his origins is that his parents found him on a doorstep. Batman would be the GA guy who carries guns and drives around in a roadster. Think First Wave or Earth One. He's starting out so he makes mistakes. WW would be a Greek athlete who believes she's descended from the original Amazons. We don't quite get the real answer. It's one of those things where the super-human elements are downplayed for the more detective story. I was thinking it could even take place in the 1930s.
    Assassinate Putin!

THESE! I WANT THESE! Particularly the SA one!

And my original concept was a sort of Noir version of the DC universe. Where it's sort of a realistic take on Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. So he's at his original power levels. He's really strong and fast but can't fly and doesn't have vision powers. The only thing he knows about his origins is that his parents found him on a doorstep. Batman would be the GA guy who carries guns and drives around in a roadster. Think First Wave or Earth One. He's starting out so he makes mistakes. WW would be a Greek athlete who believes she's descended from the original Amazons. We don't quite get the real answer. It's one of those things where the super-human elements are downplayed for the more detective story. I was thinking it could even take place in the 1930s.
    You meant something like noir. A realistic take. It sounds good to me.

What i wanted was straight up Golden Age. Only less monsters and evil scientists. (Though they would appear too). I have read New 52's first volume of Action Comics. When he was wearing jeans. And i think that is quite cool. I am growing to like this version. Fighting in the streets.

It appears that we are getting a GA version by Miller. I must admit i am not in favor of an origin again. But he is saying things which are attracting me. He mentioned that Fleischer episode of Gold train. I love that episode too. Superman even when struggling to pull a train along the tracks is a sight to see. I wish a Golden Age version but who is fighting more down to earth problems. And in the present. I don't really see any value in 30s or 40s except for a stylistic choice. Maybe i am wrong. And I hope he writes some good stuff. And this Black Label succeeds. There's so many things that can be told.

I had a couple of ideas in between this and my last post.

Stories after he has won. Superman is one hero who is expected to win in the end. So, what after Truth and Justice has won? DC One Million showed something of that. But did not show what's next. People would say its boring. But its not necessarily so.

Say for instance our world advances really fast in science and tech. Superman's Fortress tech helped. Now Superman is Daily Planet's reporter. Literally. Lois and Clark would be reporting from far-off planets and galaxies.

Or say, there's nothing to report. Even far off galaxies have seen Truth and Justice prevail. Superman and his Daily Planet crew are now film makers. Making documentary films in far off places. And that exploration will bring new challenges. Ancient monsters trapped in sleep. Recently discovered subatomic kingdoms with tyrants. Scope of Superman is really vast.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I would love to see Clark Kent on a blog like he was supposed to do with Cat Grant in the New 52, and he uses this to take on the media. Not even anything to do with Superman but to see the power of Clark.

As for Superman, I would love to see a story with him existing in 30's as a younger Superman who starts off. No other heroes at all, no Luthor. Just him taking on social issues.
    Essentially, your ideas for Clark Kent could be used for an original character as they seem to have nothing particularly to do with the Superman mythos. Or instead of an original character, maybe another Earth where Kal-El never came to Earth, but the Kents still had a son named Clark who became an investigative reporter for The Daily Planet. A Superman whose work as a journalist is super.