Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Priest had to come up with some sort of explanation. Because he probably saw this outrage coming.
    I'm just tired of everyone in the DCU being bulletproof these days except for Diana. Batman wears bulletproof armor. Aquaman is now bulletproof.

Diana goes toe to toe with the likes of Darkseid, Superman, Amazo and Doomsday, but she's susceptible to a five year old kid who picks up a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm just tired of everyone in the DCU being bulletproof these days except for Diana. Batman wears bulletproof armor. Aquaman is now bulletproof.

Diana goes toe to toe with the likes of Darkseid, Superman, Amazo and Doomsday, but she's susceptible to a five year old kid who picks up a gun...
    I agree. It's just silly.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I believe she was originally bullet proof and the bracelets were simply a form of psychological war farebut it got taken away. Without their shields the Green Lanterns aren't bullet proof and the Flashes aren't bullet proof if they standstill they're dead. This will not make fans more interested in having Priest on Wonder Woman but some interviews with him got me thinking maybe if you hand Priest Steve Trevor he could probably do something groundbreaking with him. Maybe create the most logical iteration of Steve without the yes-man stain that came from Marston and the marriage obsession from the Silver Age. I'd like to see how he can portray Steve as someone with a strong sense of intrigue.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-31-2018 at 03:19 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I believe she was originally bullet proof and the bracelets were simply a form of psychological war farebut it got taken away. Without their shields the Green Lanterns aren't bullet proof and the Flashes aren't bullet proof if they standstill they're dead. This will not make fans more interested in having Priest on Wonder Woman but some interviews with him got me thinking maybe if you hand Priest Steve Trevor he could probably do something groundbreaking with him. Maybe create the most logical iteration of Steve without the yes-man stain that came from Marston and the marriage obsession from the Silver Age. I'd like to see how he can portray Steve as someone with a strong sense of intrigue.
    When was the last time any of those heroes was shot and injured in the comics with an actual bullet?

For Diana, it's been twice in the last year.

Aquaman got shot in the head (not the armor) and there was just a tiny trickle of blood.

Batman took automatic fire from short range and it bounced off of his armor.

It's always bothered me how, over the decades, most heroes get faster/smarter/stronger/more skilled, while Diana (who towed planets) got weaker and dumber and less skilled. She started off as a scientist, but now she doesn't seem to have any skills outside of combat, while others are highly skilled in combat and possess dozens of useful skills.

Both JL and WW at the moment are portraying her as relatively mindless, though at least in JL she gets the 'people person' moment with the kids.

She is rarely, if ever, portrayed as figuring anything out, including combat strategies.

When was the last time any of those heroes was shot and injured in the comics with an actual bullet?

For Diana, it's been twice in the last year.

Aquaman got shot in the head (not the armor) and there was just a tiny trickle of blood.

Batman took automatic fire from short range and it bounced off of his armor.

It's always bothered me how, over the decades, most heroes get faster/smarter/stronger/more skilled, while Diana (who towed planets) got weaker and dumber and less skilled. She started off as a scientist, but now she doesn't seem to have any skills outside of combat, while others are highly skilled in combat and possess dozens of useful skills.

Both JL and WW at the moment are portraying her as relatively mindless, though at least in JL she gets the 'people person' moment with the kids.

She is rarely, if ever, portrayed as figuring anything out, including combat strategies.
    Was this ever a problem in Post-Crisis? Well it was George Perez's idea to take away the highly advanced civilization part of her backstory.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-31-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Was this ever a problem in Post-Crisis? Well it was George Perez's idea to take away the highly advanced civilization part of her backstory.
    Yes...and no.

The inconsistency is a huge part of my issues with the book. Do they have tech? Don't they have tech? Do they have mythical creatures? Do they not?

That's from post-crisis - sure looks like tech to me.

But at least when Perez re-booted, she was smart, articulate, and was a skilled diplomat and author.

Since nu52, has she actually been confirmed as having any point/obligations/occupation outside of barbarian warrior?

Yes...and no.

The inconsistency is a huge part of my issues with the book. Do they have tech? Don't they have tech? Do they have mythical creatures? Do they not?

That's from post-crisis - sure looks like tech to me.

But at least when Perez re-booted, she was smart, articulate, and was a skilled diplomat and author.

Since nu52, has she actually been confirmed as having any point/obligations/occupation outside of barbarian warrior?
    Hmm you don't say if the stories for Wonder Woman were more politically driven as opposed to being confined to fantasy her skills as a diplomat could have been used more the only politically driven story I know is Amazons Attack but that was not well planned was it? In fact where was Steve Trevor liaison for the Amazons at that time? How old is that image because Perez established the Amazons to be without technology. And all the more reasons to get Wonder Woman and editor but there should be plenty of characters that don't have an editor why can't there be an office for them including Wonder Woman? If they won't give her highly advanced technology at the very least they can reestablish her role as a diplomat. But unless they write more politically driven stories don't expect it to be of any real use. Also it's not necessarily true that people of the likes of Superman got stronger when Post-Crisis hit well they toned down his increasingly insane power levels. While Diana got stronger. And she's only gotten stronger with each reboot.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-31-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Hmm you don't say if the stories for Wonder Woman were more politically driven as opposed to being confined to fantasy her skills as a diplomat could have been used more the only politically driven story I know is Amazons Attack but that was not well planned was it? In fact where was Steve Trevor liaison for the Amazons at that time? How old is that image because Perez established the Amazons to be without technology. And all the more reasons to get Wonder Woman and editor but there should be plenty of characters that don't have an editor why can't there be an office for them including Wonder Woman? If they won't give her highly advanced technology at the very least they can reestablish her role as a diplomat. But unless they write more politically driven stories don't expect it to be of any real use. Also it's not necessarily true that people of the likes of Superman got stronger when Post-Crisis hit well they toned down his increasingly insane power levels. While Diana got stronger. And she's only gotten stronger with each reboot.
    Where? The most competent version of WW will probably always be the Golden Age. She was a scientist, inventor, a warrior and a princess. And DC has decreased her power levels a lot over the years, so idk where you got the idea that she's become stronger. There was a time where she even lost her powers for an entire decade (The 70s I think). Not only that, she's been turned into a stupid barbaric warrior that just carries a sword and shield for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Where? The most competent version of WW will probably always be the Golden Age. She was a scientist, inventor, a warrior and a princess. And DC has decreased her power levels a lot over the years, so idk where you got the idea that she's become stronger. There was a time where she even lost her powers for an entire decade (The 70s I think). Not only that, she's been turned into a stupid barbaric warrior that just carries a sword and shield for no apparent reason.
    Reading about how back then she could only glide along air currents but now her powers increased to he point where she can fly for one thing and the fact she loss several vulnerabilities such as having losing her bracelets would cause her to fly into an uncontrollable rage and being tied up by a man would cause her to lose her powers. And she still remains as strong as Superman sometimes I even suspect she could be even more powerful than him. And depending on the canon she could have eternal youth. The power loss thing was part of an experiment to try and appeal to the modern Woman's Lib movement only to bring them back after the complaints.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-31-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Spectacular Member

Personally, I don't need or want Wonder Woman to be bullet proof. What I do want is for writers and artists to depict her as competent and able to use her full complement of skills ably. Perhaps it was controversial, but I was ok with Diana being shot (and not bullet proof) in Rucka's The Lies/The Truth storyline by Colonel Poison because she chose to let that happen as a tactical move.

In this instance, the Justice League are in a tense situation. Clearly, they'd all be on alert and battle-ready. They would be ready for anything to happen, especially as there are guns out there. For Wonder Woman to be caught off guard by gunfire in this situation for any reason is silly.

It all depends on the writers and artists. Unfortunately, it seems that more often than not, writers do not have Wonder Woman using her full array of skills and talents.

Despite some flaws during their respective runs, I felt Rucka, Jiminez and Simone wrote her most competently. I also felt Dwayne McDuffie and Brad Meltzer showcased her pretty well during their stints on Justice League.

Was this ever a problem in Post-Crisis?
    Messner-Loebs had Diana shot by Mayfly during his run. And her recovery was super slow and affected her ability to fly. And Bryne highlighted that Diana could be pierced/hurt by arrow and bullets--she had a high level of endurance and toughness, but not impenetrable skin.

Wonder Woman is shown as a damsel in distress in Justice League 42. Seriously? How could a bullet hurt her if she is bulletproof?

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    Wonder Woman is shown as a damsel in distress in Justice League 42. Seriously? How could a bullet hurt her if she is bulletproof?
    She isn't bullet proof and it's not the first time apparently. But she can heal quickly.

She isn't bullet proof and it's not the first time apparently. But she can heal quickly.
    Sadly, there is no sign of that in the preview of the next issue

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's not looking that way from what they've shown so far.

Sadly, there is no sign of that in the preview of the next issue

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's not looking that way from what they've shown so far.
    I know as Wonder Woman fans this is depressing but to be quite frank this is kind of the result when a lot of comic book characters are immensely overpowered or skilled. It becomes insanely hard to make things challenging for them. But All I can say is bear with it. And also I have no issues with Wonder Woman not being bullet proof because if she is bullet proof then then why isn't she using her body to deflect bullets to intimidate thugs? Supergirl can do that why not her?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-02-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    Messner-Loebs had Diana shot by Mayfly during his run. And her recovery was super slow and affected her ability to fly. And Bryne highlighted that Diana could be pierced/hurt by arrow and bullets--she had a high level of endurance and toughness, but not impenetrable skin.
    You know I am a little surprised by how much sense that even made because endurance and hard skin are kind of different things so at least it clears up some questions as to why she can be hurt by heavy hitters like Doomsday and still get up.