Default When Has Wonder Woman Ever Been A Pacifist?

Does anyone know when, if ever, Wonder Woman was depicted as a pacifist? This is a sentiment I see expressed online but my reading of her history never depicts her as such. She wasn't a pacifist in the Golden Age, she wasn't one in the mod era, she wasn't one post crisis, she wasn't one post Flashpoint so where did this notion come from?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Misinterpretation I guess because of her whole peace and love thing that came later as an effort to redefine her for the modern era. As far as pacifism is concerned with her the only thing that she has in that is that sometimes she would at least try to use words before trouncing her enemies but most interpretations tend to just show her leaping straight into battle particularly in the Justice League but there was no room to show her willingness to reason first and fight second.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Wonder Woman is not really a pacifist, more like a Paragon for Peace and Love, even if that means a fist in the face!

Seriously though, WW always tried to see the other point of view and would often try to convert the villainous(ess) by speech, the magic lasso and/or Reform Island/Transformation Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Does anyone know when, if ever, Wonder Woman was depicted as a pacifist? This is a sentiment I see expressed online but my reading of her history never depicts her as such. She wasn't a pacifist in the Golden Age, she wasn't one in the mod era, she wasn't one post crisis, she wasn't one post Flashpoint so where did this notion come from?
    There's a friend of mine who has pointed out to me that the word "Pacifism" supposedly once meant not initiative violence or the threat of violence and always attempting to not kill but it didn't mean that someone couldn't defend themselves if they or their loved ones were attacked. It just meant not intentionally putting oneself into situations that would result in violence. But when people started registering as "Conscientious Objectors", the military decided that "Pacifism" was now defined as never under any circumstances killing and never committing any act of violence under any circumstances. But that wasn't the established meanign though it has tended now to become that.

So Wonder Woman could be defined as a pacifist under some incarnations. I think it started with Perez's version Post-Crisis and ended with Rucka. When she snapped Max Lord's neck, I remember thinking that was the end of the "Princess of Peace" concept and that they would never be able to come back from that.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

I think Loebs' depiction of Diana, pre-Deodato, was the closest to a pacifist that Diana has been written. Most of the time, his Diana was written as someone willing to actually take risks to herself in order to defuse situations as non-violently as possible.

Well, while a warrior, I wouldn't say Diana tries to escalate conflicts. And she usually tries to end things peacefully if she sees a chance.

Though if it involves monsters or something of that ilk, she's less likely to hold back.

I think the one issue of Damage did a pretty accurate job of it. She won't back down from a fight, but if she sees that the person she's facing off against is in trouble, she'll try and help them however she can. Like she won't suddenly just stick her sword down their throat.

But she would subdue/knock them out if she could (Damage was able to escape her before she could).

Looooooooooooong ago (like 2000) there was a special miniseries called JLA: Act of God, where a mysterious force removed all metahuman, demigod, alien, etc. superpowers and abilities.

IIRC, in it Diana loses her powers and if I really remember correctly becomes born again or something and is waiting for The Presence to return the superhumans powers. It was a weird book. She was powerless in that and I think she became a pacifist then, but it was also about everyone being tested by The Presence and the belief that if found worthy superpowers would return.

As I said, it was a weird little miniseries at the time with characters acting out of character. Happy to add some random rememberences to your day!