Default Is the sword and shield permanent part of Diana's equipment?

Looking at the movie, new cartoons, recent comics, It seems like the sword and shield have replaced the magic lasso as her standard weapons. Just wondering if editorial has chosen this deliberately, to promote her more as a "warrior princess" archetype.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Looking at the movie, new cartoons, recent comics, It seems like the sword and shield have replaced the magic lasso as her standard weapons. Just wondering if editorial has chosen this deliberately, to promote her more as a "warrior princess" archetype.
    Looks like, yes.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

She is an Amazon. It’s an addition to her gear gear that makes sense.

If they haven't replaced, the sword & shield might as well have. I'm sure it's an editorial decision...but also likely writers who don't know or get the character and just default to "she's a warrior and that's what warriors do" mentality. My guess is they figure a sword and shield makes Diana more "bad-ass."

Personally, I've reached the point where I can't stand seeing Diana with a sword or shield.

I wrote about this in a blog a while back. Few years old, but seems to still be relevant in a lot of ways:
    From Aphrodite to Athena: Wonder Woman & Her Sword

I'm thankful (at least in her own series) the sword and shield have been seen far less frequently in Rebirth. When they do appear they're useful and not just arbitrarily stuck to her hands like in the New 52.

I think they're intended to be additions, rather replacements for the lasso, but nonetheless they do tend to get more facetime than the lasso these days. Which is unfortunate. I'm all for her toting those weapons regularly but the lasso should be used just as much if not more.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The problem is that it takes more time away from the lasso. not only that but the Amazons generally use it for warriors. I mean why can't she use it has a last attempted. Diana has used the lasso offensive and defensive. She doesn't need sword and shield all the time. Why can't her bracelets work like new 52? That she can summon both shield and sword.

In a way, I have less trouble with the shield than the sword, even if arguably the shield takes away focus from her bracelets, and made them more into an offensive weapon than something she uses for protection (as witnessed by their use in several scenes in the recent movies).

But what if the bracelets are there to protect herself, while the shield is there to protect others? A sword, on the other hand, I view very much as the weapon of last resort: the thing she brings forward when she is fighting to kill rather than trying to subdue or protect.

I don’t mind Diana using a sword and shield if they’re lying around and it makes sense for her to pick them up, but I’m less impressed with her carrying them around as part of her regular arsenal. It kind of undermines her love and friendship and redemption aspects of her character that should always come first.

The “Godkiller” sword worked in the film as a feint, but I don’t think she needs it anymore than Superman needs to start carrying a superspear around.