Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 274
  1. #181
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    IGN with an advance review that has a lot of spoilers and is pretty brutal on Miller. Gives it a 5.7 out of 10.

    https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/05/1...r-one-1-review

    spoilers:
    apparently there's a shocking scene at the end that is pretty violent and brutal that seems out of character or out of place for a Superman story
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-17-2019 at 11:44 AM.

  2. #182
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    IGN with an advance review that has a lot of spoilers and is pretty brutal on Miller. Gives it a 5.7 out of 10.

    https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/05/1...r-one-1-review

    spoilers:
    apparently there's a shocking scene at the end that is pretty violent and brutal that seems out of character for Superman
    end of spoilers
    But not out of character for Miller.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  3. #183
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    IGN with an advance review that has a lot of spoilers and is pretty brutal on Miller. Gives it a 5.7 out of 10.

    https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/05/1...r-one-1-review

    spoilers:
    apparently there's a shocking scene at the end that is pretty violent and brutal that seems out of character or out of place for a Superman story
    end of spoilers

  4. #184
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Miller has always seemed drawn to the Golden Age version of Superman - a hero who was less interested in battling gaudy supervillains than delivering wish-fulfillment fantasies about beating up slumlords, gangsters and serial abusers. That’s basically what unfolds in this issue, as Clark becomes a mentor/bodyguard to the outcasts and misfits of his school and butts heads with a group of bullies apparently so ferocious they have school officials and even local law enforcement looking the other way
    Not only that, Clark's grand epiphany isn't a Superman-worthy "violence isn't the solution," but rather, "When violence fails, employ more violence."
    By the time Clark comes of age, you don’t get the sense of him having that fully formed morality and sense of decency his parents are meant to instill. Maybe that’s the point, but it's always worrying to see a version of Superman who lacks that firm moral compass.
    These bits from the IGN review have me very interested to check this out again. If you’re a fan of the Boy Scout Clark it sounds like this will just anger you, but as a fan of Morrison’s Superman origin, I kinda like Clark not starting out as the perfect angel. I like Superman starting out, to be blunt, as an a****** and then eventually maturing into the “proper” Superman. And while people tend to occasionally play around with Supes’ intellect or exploring him as a pacifist like Kelly/Casey did, 9/10 Superman does solve his problems by punching them harder or by using more violence. So it’s hard to fault Miller for simply following others in that regard.

    But I also don’t know if Miller is capable of actually even giving us that “proper” Superman. His Kents seem to be idiotic hicks and as IGN points out, his Superman in the past can be summed up at best as an all powerful idiot with a fascist streak to oppose MillerBats genius with a fascist streak. Miller seems to believe Superman works best when he rejects the idea of conforming to anyone’s rules and does whatever he wants to do. That’s basically how DKSA Superman ended up until they reversed that with DKIII
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-17-2019 at 12:00 PM.

  5. #185
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    These bits from the IGN review have me very interested to check this out again. If you’re a fan of the Boy Scout Clark it sounds like this will just anger you, but as a fan of Morrison’s Superman origin, I kinda like Clark not starting out as the perfect angel. I like Superman starting out, to be blunt, as an a****** and then eventually maturing into the “proper” Superman. And while people tend to occasionally play around with Supes’ intellect or exploring him as a pacifist like Kelly/Casey did, 9/10 Superman does solve his problems by punching them harder or by using more violence. So it’s hard to fault Miller for simply following others in that regard.

    But I also don’t know if Miller is capable of actually even giving us that “proper” Superman. His Kents seem to be idiotic hicks and as IGN points out, his Superman in the past can be summed up at best as an all powerful idiot with a fascist streak to oppose MillerBats genius with a fascist streak. Miller seems to believe Superman works best when he rejects the idea of conforming to anyone’s rules and does whatever he wants to do.
    It is interesting because even Morrison's Clark was shaped positively by the Kents where here there doesn't seem to be much of anything of value from them. Is this really like the Randian version of Superman - He's great because of his own characteristics not because of the Kent's or anyone else. Or will he really blow minds by making Lana, Laurie, and Lois shape his heroism even more explicitly.

  6. #186
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It is interesting because even Morrison's Clark was shaped positively by the Kents where here there doesn't seem to be much of anything of value from them. Is this really like the Randian version of Superman - He's great because of his own characteristics not because of the Kent's or anyone else. Or will he really blow minds by making Lana, Laurie, and Lois shape his heroism even more explicitly.
    In DKSA Clark flat out rejecting the morals his parents taught him is portrayed as a positive thing, Superman finally “growing up” as it were:
    D78BBBA1-015F-406A-BA52-FCB9AB31C6BC.jpg
    4111B5CD-700C-4047-A951-A1224947A3EB.jpg
    So honestly I’m not surprised to see him treating the Kents as little more than babysitters for Clark. In Miller’s eyes the Kents made Clark weak and soft.

  7. #187
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    IGN with an advance review that has a lot of spoilers and is pretty brutal on Miller. Gives it a 5.7 out of 10.

    https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/05/1...r-one-1-review

    spoilers:
    apparently there's a shocking scene at the end that is pretty violent and brutal that seems out of character or out of place for a Superman story
    end of spoilers
    I'll have to see the issue for myself to see that actual execution but the general beats sound interesting. At least they're not trying to cobble an origin out of "Well Clark did nothing for a while until something happened and forced him to step up". He's got a more natural inclination towards righting wrongs and some of that golden age style proactiveness that beats the pants off of any take thats come since then.

    Although I'm willing to let different opinions lie I have to say but the reviewer seems to have that same modern idea about Supes where he's suppose to just be some guy that stands around with his hands in his pocket doing nothing outside of occasionally socking some kind of monster spending most his time posing for invisible camera's and giving out vapid "inspirational" qoutes. A take which is about as close to "I don't get Superman" as I can imagine. Reading the Golden Age needs to become mandatory when you want to say you "get" Superman.
    Last edited by The World; 05-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.

  8. #188
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Reading the Golden Age needs to become mandatory when you want to say you "get" Superman.
    I have no interest in the Golden Age and I feel I get Superman just fine. The Golden Age isn't what should forever define Superman either. We've moved on.

  9. #189
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I'll have to see the issue for myself to see that actual execution but the general beats sound interesting. At least their not trying to cobble an origin out of "Well Clark did nothing for a while until something happened and forced him to step up". He's got a more natural inclination towards righting wrongs and some of that golden age style proactiveness that beats the pants off of any take thats come since then.

    Although I'm willing to let different opinions lie I have to say but the reviewer seems to have that same modern idea about Supes where he's suppose to just be some guy that stands around with his hands in his pocket doing nothing outside of occasionally socking some kind of monster spending most his time posing for invisible camera's and giving out vapid "inspirational" qoutes. A take which is about as close to "I don't get Superman" as I can imagine. Reading the Golden Age needs to become mandatory when you want to say you "get" Superman.
    I have no real issue with a proactive Superman a la Morrison. I think the issue here for me is the Kent's (and humans in general by extension) being moronic babysitters that offer Clark nothing of value as far as personal development goes. That certainly wasn't true of Morrison's Superman. I mean, Miracle Man is basically the endpoint of that type of take. With a Superman that is wholly above and beyond the human race entirely. And Moore ended that with a Superman as a benevolent dictator basically. Now I suppose Miller could be showing Clark's connection with humanity through Lana, Lori, and Lois. But I'm not sure that will be the case. Regardless, I think you can still have a proactive Superman that isn't wholly alien or disconnected from humanity.

  10. #190
    Extraordinary Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Solicits for the 2nd issue:

    SUPERMAN YEAR ONE #2
    written by FRANK MILLER
    art by JOHN ROMITA JR. and DANNY MIKI
    cover by JOHN ROMITA JR. and DANNY MIKI
    cover by FRANK MILLER
    Clark Kent’s journey of self-discovery continues in the second installment of Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.’s remarkable reimagining of Superman’s origin story. This chapter takes young Clark to the Pacific coast and beyond, as he discovers a place as sensational as he is…Atlantis! There he meets new people, finds love, clashes with gargantuan beasts and discovers the man he’s meant to be.
    PRESTIGE FORMAT
    ON SALE 08.21.19
    $7.99 US | 2 of 3 | 64 PAGES
    FC | APPROX. 8.5“ x 10.875” | RATED T+


  11. #191
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The north.
    Posts
    1,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In DKSA Clark flat out rejecting the morals his parents taught him is portrayed as a positive thing, Superman finally “growing up” as it were:
    D78BBBA1-015F-406A-BA52-FCB9AB31C6BC.jpg
    4111B5CD-700C-4047-A951-A1224947A3EB.jpg
    So honestly I’m not surprised to see him treating the Kents as little more than babysitters for Clark. In Miller’s eyes the Kents made Clark weak and soft.
    And then in Dark Knight Master Race he feels regret.




  12. #192
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    And then in Dark Knight Master Race he feels regret.



    Yep I mentioned in an earlier post that DKIII walked back a lot of themes of DKSA. Clark holding on to his morals is portrayed as a positive feature, Bruce isn’t the invincible preptime god who has literally planned for everything, etc. But Miller also had Azzarelo as a co-writer, so who knows how that might’ve impacted the story. This is pure Miller, and his Kents don’t seem to be all that bright from what the previews show, or even the reviews. We’ll see how things play out though.

  13. #193
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    I'm afraid I'm done with Year One.

    It's got far too many strikes against it already in my personal book. I don't care that it's Miller. I don't care that IGN or who-ever-the-hell dislikes it. I just think it reads legitimately bad so far. Like, I just don't get the choices made with the dialog.

    What sucks is that I think some of the ideas here are quite strong on a conceptual level. Like, I know it's get some controversy behind it, but I think a very strong case can be for Clark joining the Navy. Not the dumb as rocks "I should be on the water" explanation, but rather the almost intoxicating feeling of being part of a team and community that has your back. I've been in sports since I could walk, and I know firsthand that there's this inherent feeling of community and kinship that comes with being on a team has. I've never served, but from what I've heard and from what I can imagine is that it's that same feeling but heightened. I wouldn't take much imagination to see why Clark might be in a mindset to be drawn towards that connection at such a young and vulnerable age. It's why I can get behind him playing football. Human connection is addictive to him. There's something there to really work with

    But I can't really see this sort of book being interested in tackling that idea. This feels like Li'l Abner meets Gladiator. Like, he joins the Navy because Earth has a bunch of water, then it so happens he finds an undersea kingdom, f#%ks a mermaid, and fights a sea monster. That's cool one page Sunday comic or even an elevator pitch, but it doesn't feel like there's more to it than that. The whole thing just doesn't seem like I'll be into it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  14. #194
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,796

    Default

    This sounds like it's probably gonna be a train wreck. I hope it's crazy enough to be entertaining though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I have no interest in the Golden Age and I feel I get Superman just fine. The Golden Age isn't what should forever define Superman either. We've moved on.
    Whose the "we" that moved on, and is it really possible or necessary to move on from the core ideas of the characters roots that are actually pretty timeless and relevant even today? Not necessarily in the actual execution, but the ideas behind them.
    I don't see how Superman benefits from losing some of the Golden age ideas at his core. If he's viewed as a flag waving conformist who really needs to be pushed before he can take action, and people act shocked whenever he does so and loses his temper even a little bit, something has gone terribly wrong. He's still one of the most well known and popular superheroes, but he's not the man he used to be, because there is an aversion to the risk and edginess that went into the character in the first place and started the genre as we know it.

    This sounds like it's probably gonna be a train wreck. I hope it's crazy enough to be entertaining though.

  15. #195
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    They’ve never fully gotten rid of the Golden Age stuff. I’ve complained a lot about Dan Jurgens Action Rebirth run, but he had Superman dive in front of a bunch of illegal immigrants who were about to be shot and tell the shooter off. That really made Fox News mad but I loved it. That bit was pure Golden Age imo.

    On-topic I think the reception so far guarantees this won’t become canon for anything except the DKRverse which I don’t really mind. That Superman being a little dense and joining the military in his youth actually makes sense. But trying to fit this into canon would drastically change canon Supes again, and so far it doesn’t look like it’s going to achieve the same acclaim Miller achieved with Batman. What I am very interested in seeing is the sales. How well does Miller sell without Batman or “TDKR” in the title?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •