Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Really not a fan of the idea of baby Clark probing Jonathan's brain, less so that he can somehow knowingly manipulate him at such a young age. Not a very good look for a character who is supposed to be an altruistic, fundamentally good person.

But it's not terrible so far, even if I'm unsold on JRJR's pencils. May actually pick up the first issue when beforehand I was decidedly not interested. We'll see how word of mouth goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Really not a fan of the idea of baby Clark probing Jonathan's brain, less so that he can somehow knowingly manipulate him at such a young age. Not a very good look for a character who is supposed to be an altruistic, fundamentally good person.

But it's not terrible so far, even if I'm unsold on JRJR's pencils. May actually pick up the first issue when beforehand I was decidedly not interested. We'll see how word of mouth goes.
    It’s Miller. None of his heroes are that, not even Batman, and this Origin is for a version of Superman who ends up being the government’s lapdog. This version of Superman will probably be very flawed, intentionally or not.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Year One was originally serialized in the main Batman book, though. It was written specifically to be the main origin. This is a stand alone mini. He was also a much better writer back then. At this point I think DC is just indulging his whims. The best I can hope for from this in terms of the main Super-books is that it might inspire DC to give the Rebirth Superman powers as a toddler but that dialogue! I'm seriously considering not getting it over that. WOW! If they are going to keep giving him work, it looks like the DK3 model is the way to go. Have a "handler" on him to keep his worst impulses in check.
    I felt like this would be a train wreck from day one! Seems early reports support that. Miller needs to stay away from mainstream DC characters and JRJR needs to take some art classes. He is on my top 5 "worst artists" list.

Swiss army nerd

I haven't read the book and I'm not going to, but am I to understand that the flying superfast guy joins the navy because he's unfamiliar with water? As opposed to, say, flying to some?

Also, any version of Superman in any military isn't Superman, sorry Frank.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I haven't read the book and I'm not going to, but am I to understand that the flying superfast guy joins the navy because he's unfamiliar with water? As opposed to, say, flying to some?

Also, any version of Superman in any military isn't Superman, sorry Frank.
    Yeah, I'm not getting that. Does the military not perform physicals in that universe? How many times do they have to try to draw his blood before they figure out they can't?
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Thanks.

That..read a bit better actually.

This one's not as bad as the last one. I'm glad he's friends with the outcast kids. Don't think I'll ever get used to Miller dialogue though.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Kents still sound goofy, and the narration is still a bit much. But the kids dialogue is OK, still doesn't sound very natural. And seeing a toxic masculinity line comes out of left field for a Frank Miller book. Not sure of his take on Clark. Tentatively, it reads ok, but there's some weird bits that I'm gonna need to see where he goes with it.

The Kents really seem to be the weakest part of this. They're written like what a big city person thinks farmers in the mid-west sound like. Miller dialogue in general is always over the top to begin with. At least in the last twenty years. This is why I think he needs someone else to execute his ideas better than he can. There are some good ideas in here, they are just written poorly. He's sort of like George Lucas in that regard. Let someone else take your ideas and run with them. Clean them up a bit. We're a long way from Batman: Year One.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s Miller. None of his heroes are that, not even Batman, and this Origin is for a version of Superman who ends up being the government’s lapdog. This version of Superman will probably be very flawed, intentionally or not.
    I mean this more with respect to the editors, who have the job of sheparding the IP. This is the sort of thing that should be reigned in. Alas, they seem to go to sleep when Frank is involved.

Just read the preview pages...yep, as bad as I thought it would be. Frank really needs to retire! And I've said it a million times over, but JRJR's artwork is horrible. He cannot draw a face at all! Everything just looks so amateurish with that guy. Easy pass on this book for me (which sucks because I typically buy any/every Superman and Batman book). Miller's All Star Batman was the first Batman title that I ever quit during it's initial run. Prior to that book I had every physical copy of every Batman and Superman book going back to the 70's. I just couldn't tolerate that book (even though it had outstanding Jim Lee artwork). The book was just terribly written.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Well that's disappointing. That first preview had me hoping it'd keep up a solid ratio of surprisingly inspired to hilariously bad, but it looks like this is mainly just gonna be dull dull dull, nevermind having teens unironically say gee whiz (not even in a Superman comic folks, at least not as presented here). I'll still check it out of the library at some point, but it looks like that first bit was likely a fluke. And yeah, JRJr is Not Good at drawing kids, much as I'm loving his landscapes in here.
    Buh-bye

I will probably check out the first issue and decide how to precede from there. But my initial excitement has been tamped down by the dialogue. I wonder what part of Smallville he's going to name after a Ayn Rand character.
    Assassinate Putin!

If it’s awful let’s hope for ASBAR insanity rather than it being simply dull. Yeah letting modern day Miller write Superman on his own was always going to be a leap of faith, but I still have a morbid sense of excitement about all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I will probably check out the first issue and decide how to precede from there. But my initial excitement has been tamped down by the dialogue. I wonder what part of Smallville he's going to name after a Ayn Rand character.
    LMFAO holy **** if this were to actually happen.