Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Romita's page breakdown are pretty strong so far. That cover image of Clark floating as his glasses fall is probably one of my favorites in recent memory.

I wonder what the significance of Jonathan Kent being the one who found Clark is going to be? Donner basically cemented in the father/son stuff with his movies, but surprisingly its never really been done with Pa and Clark in as grand a way as Jor-El and Clark (comics I mean). That's pretty fertile ground, and I think Miller would be the sort of writer to explore it in a multidimensional way that both plays with the idyllic nature of the clear and present Rockwell nature of it all, and also the more mess and human aspects of it. That said, this does make me wonder how he'll uses Martha Kent in all of this. Is she an on looker in this possibly complex tangle of emotions between father and son, or is she a far more active role player? Maybe our guide? Can't really say right now. It's just a strong choice to make it Pa who finds Clark first (he's even alluded to this in interview), and I want to see what he makes out of that.

All in all, I'm ever fascinated by this book, and I wonder if he'll use the opportunity to do that more Jewish inspired Superman story he was talking about.
    Knowing Miller, she will be a drug addicted, prostitute with a penchant for bdsm.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Knowing Miller, she will be a drug addicted, prostitute with a penchant for bdsm.
    Was kind of hoping for actual discussion when I posted that. So this is a little disappointing to read. In any case, I disagree.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The art looks great, way better than Romita Jr.'s works during the New52.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Romita is hit or miss depending on the project. His New 52 Superman was disappointing but this looks a lot better.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Romita is hit or miss depending on the project. His New 52 Superman was disappointing but this looks a lot better.
    Maybe the quality of his art depends on the inking.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Maybe, he been practicing-refining his technique or, taking a different approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    This art gives me some real hope that this will not be a negative take on Superman. There's no doubt that Miller has done probably the best stuff ever done with Batman, especially Year One while often thought of as doing the worst ever done to Superman. It would be ironic if he does something with Superman that becomes thought of as the best thing ever done for Superman.
    Power with Girl is better.

Love the pages so far. I get the feeling Miller is going to show everyone what a great Superman he can do. I don't think any character is beyond him, even if most of his work is with street level characters.

I guess we have to wait for the first issue to really see but this and Wonder Woman Earth One vol two are the only comics past Action 1000 I find myself looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Maybe, he been practicing-refining his technique or, taking a different approach?
    He's getting to work at his own pace rather than trying to crunch a monthly deadline and churn out 20 pages on time for the monthly release schedule. That is going to make a huge difference in the quality of pages, and part of the reason why Black Label is leaving format and release schedule up to the creative teams, so they can put out their best work and not have to rush and take shortcuts to meet release deadlines. My guess is the whole project will be done before any of it is released so there will be no rush to finish once the books start coming out that could affect the later parts of the book. The ultimate goal of the line is to have evergreen sellers in book format to sell to a wider audience over a longer period of time than just a standard monthly release, so they are giving the creative teams the time and space to do it their way.

As to redefining the origin, since the target is a wider audience than the standard direct market crowd, whether it is canon/in continuity or not is irrelevant if it does reach that wider audience. As someone mentioned Dark Knight redefined perceptions of Batman without being in continuity exactly because it reached a larger audience when it was released in collected format through Warner Books back when DC didn't really have a trade paperback program and collected editions were rarities, especially from the big 2. So I think they are hoping it will redefine perceptions of Superman's audience because it will reach more readers who maybe haven't seen the various origins stories or who aren't regular direct market buyers familair with the ins and outs of continuity, and help define Superman's origin in the mass culture not (just) in fandom.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 03-24-2018 at 04:57 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    He's getting to work at his own pace rather than trying to crunch a monthly deadline and churn out 20 pages on time for the monthly release schedule. That is going to make a huge difference in the quality of pages, and part of the reason why Black Label is leaving format and release schedule up to the creative teams, so they can put out their best work and not have to rush and take shortcuts to meet release deadlines. My guess is the whole project will be done before any of it is released so there will be no rush to finish once the books start coming out that could affect the later parts of the book. The ultimate goal of the line is to have evergreen sellers in book format ti sell to a wider audience over a longer period of time than just a standard monthly release, so they are giving the creative teams the time and space to do it their way.

As to redefining the origin, since the target is a wider audience than the standard direct market crowd, whether it is canon/in continuity or not is irrelevant if it does reach that wider audience. As someone mentioned Dark Knight redefined perceptions of Batman without being in continuity exactly because it reached a larger audience when it was released in collected format through Warner Books back when DC didn't really have a trade paperback program and collected editions were rarities, especially from the big 2. So I think they are hoping it will redefine perceptions of Superman's audience because it will reach more readers who maybe haven't seen the various origins stories or who aren't regular direct market buyers familair with the ins and outs of continuity, and help define Superman's origin in the mass culture not (just) in fandom.

-M
    Yep, taking you time and being methodical about it, would explain the greater detail alright! You bring up a good point in rushing to meet a monthly quota, for me - I'd rather have less magazine(s) per month with higher quality of story and art, then deluge of trades where the caliber is not up to par, because the magazine(s), have been rush to production.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    DKR redefined Batman without being in continuity, though.
    Exactly. Continuity is often overrated in terms of its impact on these characters. Christopher Reeve & Richard Donner did more to redefine Superman than anything Shwartz, Maggin, Byrne, Waid or Johns ever did.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Looks like my hopes for a more careful, appealing JRJR are looking good! I really want this to be good - Batman Year One is still one of my favorite comics ever, and I would love for Clark to get the same powerful type of story.

But is it wrong of me to wish they could get Mazzucchelli back?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The art looks great, way better than Romita Jr.'s works during the New52.
    I actually really loved JRJR's art for The Men of Tomorrow - there was a clean, appealing quality, without the wonky proportions that came in the later arcs. I think it's a rushing thing, and I really hope that DC gives him time, and he takes it seriously, so that it has that quality again for this project.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Exactly. Continuity is often overrated in terms of its impact on these characters. Christopher Reeve & Richard Donner did more to redefine Superman than anything Shwartz, Maggin, Byrne, Waid or Johns ever did.
    For good and bad, you are right.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Mighty Member

Very much looking forward to reading this one. Really like the art. Last preview page of Clark in the field observing the night sky especially

I'm having a feeling it'll make Batman y 1, Last crusade, DKR, DKSA and MR reach a full circle of sorts.

Also. Here's two interviews with Miller. He seems really rather lively.

https://youtu.be/CMHWHonUBZ0
    https://youtu.be/LQuzOiEPeEM
    Last edited by borntohula; 03-24-2018 at 02:49 PM.