Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Frank Miller Signs DC Exclusive Contact (+Preview of Superman Year One)

Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-23-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ok-market.html

Think that's the best quality the art is in right now till another site posts it.
    Thank you.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Wish the pages were bigger.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Thanks for having the finger on yet another pulse, DP. My zoom works fine and I like those pages. Romita draws cute kids!

It's weird to sign such an infrequent guy normally but then again, it's Frank Miller. Lee and Didio really have smart things to say about their strategy.

Hmm, it says this may redefine Superman for a new generation but it will be published under their new "Black Label" rather than as a DC comic which makes me wonder if it will be in continuity as far as main canon.
    Power with Girl is better.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

DKR redefined Batman without being in continuity, though.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Thanks for this.

I gotta say those Romita pages look good. I wasn't a huge fan of his Superman run with John's and Yang, but I hope he brings his A game.

So it's looking like this either may be completely out of continuity or very loosely tied to it. Bendis' MOS will likely not be a straight up origin story but will have likely just bits and pieces of continuity greatest hits while Year One could conceivably be a more complete origin tale. Whether it's Canon or not will probably depend on how it's received by fandom. If it's popular enough, it's a pretty safe bet it replaces John's Secret Origin and it's post Superman Reborn retcons as the official one. If it's middling received, it'll probably join the plethora of Superman origin retelling on our book shelves.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Amazing Member

I'm of the opinion that Dark Knight III was probably the dullest thing Frank Miller has written, but since this appears to be solely in his hands we'll see how it turns out. His DKR superman makes me wary of the way he'll handle the character but the end of DK3 suggests maybe he's over the whole deconstruction thing.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Romita's page breakdown are pretty strong so far. That cover image of Clark floating as his glasses fall is probably one of my favorites in recent memory.

I wonder what the significance of Jonathan Kent being the one who found Clark is going to be? Donner basically cemented in the father/son stuff with his movies, but surprisingly its never really been done with Pa and Clark in as grand a way as Jor-El and Clark (comics I mean). That's pretty fertile ground, and I think Miller would be the sort of writer to explore it in a multidimensional way that both plays with the idyllic nature of the clear and present Rockwell nature of it all, and also the more mess and human aspects of it. That said, this does make me wonder how he'll uses Martha Kent in all of this. Is she an on looker in this possibly complex tangle of emotions between father and son, or is she a far more active role player? Maybe our guide? Can't really say right now. It's just a strong choice to make it Pa who finds Clark first (he's even alluded to this in interview), and I want to see what he makes out of that.

All in all, I'm ever fascinated by this book, and I wonder if he'll use the opportunity to do that more Jewish inspired Superman story he was talking about.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    DKR redefined Batman without being in continuity, though.
    Exactly. Continuity is often overrated in terms of its impact on these characters. Christopher Reeve & Richard Donner did more to redefine Superman than anything Shwartz, Maggin, Byrne, Waid or Johns ever did.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Exactly. Continuity is often overrated in terms of its impact on these characters. Christopher Reeve & Richard Donner did more to redefine Superman than anything Shwartz, Maggin, Byrne, Waid or Johns ever did.
    For good and bad, you are right.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Hmm, it says this may redefine Superman for a new generation but it will be published under their new "Black Label" rather than as a DC comic which makes me wonder if it will be in continuity as far as main canon.
    This is what I was wondering. I'm operating under the assumption this is either the origin for the DKR Superman or a stand alone project.
    Assassinate Putin!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Looks like my hopes for a more careful, appealing JRJR are looking good! I really want this to be good - Batman Year One is still one of my favorite comics ever, and I would love for Clark to get the same powerful type of story.

But is it wrong of me to wish they could get Mazzucchelli back?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    But is it wrong of me to wish they could get Mazzucchelli back?
    Yes, because Mazz doesn't draw like that anymore.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yes, because Mazz doesn't draw like that anymore.
    I love Asterios Polyp too, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord