Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Lori was the mermaid girlfriend right? Heh that's going to be interesting, wonder if he'll tie her to Atlantis in some way?
    Yeah. That's her. Not sure how he'll write her into the story ... and you may be right, Atlantis might be included ... will definitely be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Considering Miller's said he doesn't even don the costume till the very end, Wonder Woman being in this in any capacity is highly doubtful. If this story gets a sequel or something though? I'd all but guarantee it.
    That's true. Working Diana into Clark's origin wouldn't necessarily be impossible -- but it would be difficult. I assume the main love interests in the story will be Lana and Lori, since they're the two that spring to mind regarding Clark's early years.

And Frank's still got a couple of other titles up his sleeve (re: his 5 book contract) so it would be pretty awesome to see him handle Clark and Diana again in some way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    You skipped over a whole lot of Bronze Age Batman that made Batman much more serious again-O'Neill/Adams. Englehart/Rogers, the long Doug Moench run, etc. etc. long before Miller ever worked on Batman. Miller's work on DK was certainly paradigm shifting, but it didn't appear ex nihilo, there had been a shift in the tone of Batman long before Miller got there, pretty much as soon as there was a change in the editorial control of Batman in later Silver Age and moving into the Bronze Age. When DKR became a big hit, Denny O'Neil (the Batman editor at the time) doubled down on the darker elements that DK brought to the table, but the sillier elements of the Silver Age were long gone from Batman by that that time.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you would put some names to the idea of the best comic writers instead of leaving it a vague term so people could pin down what you think makes up good comic writing to lend some actual depth and content to the conversation instead of speaking in terms of vague generalities and simplified generalizations.

-M
    I mean i read some of Neil Adams Batman HCs... And it was like Batman and Superman were playing wheel of fortune when robin and jimmy olsen secretly watching them like stalkers and stuff... It was weird and bad. I couldn't read much because it was really bad like that.
    It has been like 15 years since i read Watchmen, Killing Joke and TDKR books ( and i should add Batman: Year One too i guess, i forget that one ! sorry) so i don't remember them very well... But Nothing grabbed me like them when it comes to super heroes while i was reading them. I usually like dark serious stories but that doesn't mean i can't enjoy some light hearted comics too... Just when it's a really good dark story, i really love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    They are not at all "true joke versions" of the characters, whatever that even means. I don't expect you to love or even like them since you began reading comics with Watchmen and TDKR, but don't disparage them simply because you don't like them. TDKR and Watchmen can only be fully appreciated by people who know the characters and the genre. They were intended to deconstruct those concepts and make them "adult" or "realistic." The truth is, superhero comics can indeed have elements of adult storytelling and realism, but they should not be fully realistic. They're fantasy stories. I suspect the people who recommended you start with TDKR and Watchmen and Killing Joke knew nothing about comics beyond having read those books themselves.

The best place to start is out-of-continuity stories like All-Star Superman or something in-continuity but designed for new readers like Batman Hush or Superman/Batman by Jeph Loeb. These are pure superhero comic books that don't deconstruct and/or apologize for being pure superhero comic books. The first volume of Ultimate Spider-Man, Waid's "Operation Rebirth" for Cap and Claremont and Miller's Wolverine mini are great for similar reasons as they're fairly self-contained and new reader-friendly.

Going back to the Silver Age stuff, they are pure superhero comic books that managed to have depth despite targeting kids. Without those books, the superhero comic book would have died out. Open your mind to these tales and you'll find a lot to love.
    I read All Star Superman. It was so larger than life and epic as Superman should be... it has been a while since i read it but the gods and superman's competition for Super Lois's hand was beyond epic... I really loved it. I read Jeph Loeb Superman-Batman and ultimate spider-man but i don't remeber them very well... it was so long ago.

But i read Miller Wolverine recently. Here is a little something i wrote about it:

It was so much fun to read the book. Gave me a chance to sample the one of the most praised writters of comics, Chris Claremont and i liked his writting. I will definetly try his X-Men. The story was very modern, it didn't feel dated but then again as far as i know 80s is the foundation of modern comics so it is being still good is not a big surprise.

Wolverine and his history with Japan is amazing. (I love Japan) I would love to see more, like how he met with Mariko Yashida for the first time and all of his time in japan before the mini. Wolverine's fights against ninjas were all so much fun to read even if i was like ''they are partying like it's 1580'' lol i mean katanas, shirukens and even Wolverine was like ''i don't usually do that but i will use a weapon this time'' and he brought a crossbow with him and hunted the ninjas with that lol Hello ! There are more efficient ways of killing people, you know... Have any of you guys ever heard of GUNS ! lol

Yukio the wild one was a fun character, i liked her. I wish they showed what Yukio did with Storm to change her in to that crazy punk new look in The 2 issues of Uncanny X-Men which came after The 4 issues Wolverine mini in The HC. And ofcourse the guy who brain washed Mariko to not to marry Wolverine... Who was that guy ? Did he hypnose Mariko or something ? the end stayed dangling in the air with questions... I really want to read that era Clearmont X-Men to find out where all of those go now... It's certainly a minus that the book doesn't have a satisfying conclusion :/ and it's the only minus, really, oh there was Wolverine explaning his powers at every issue's begining too xD i was like ok i got it ! after the second time xD but i gave the book 5 stars never the less (: Wolverine fanboy reporting for duty (:
    Last edited by Gurz; 04-03-2018 at 12:46 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I read All Star Superman. It was so larger than life and epic as Superman should be... it has been a while since i read it but the gods and superman's competition for Super Lois's hand was beyond epic... I really loved it.
    You should also try out Superman: Secret Identity. Probably second only to All Star in terms of just getting across a perfect distillation of Superman to the reader, new or old. Superman: Strength by Scott Mccloud is also a masterclass on near perfect Superman story telling. I could seriously read similar stories staring Superman like Strength forever. Speaking of which, I'd also recommend Mark Millar's Superman Adventures.

The cool thing about these recommendations is that they are all kind of perfect snapshots of Superman, and because of that they are highly influenced by the Silver age. The Silver age was a strange time to be sure, but it was also the most overtly experimental period of time in the comics even with the sitcom-like "everyone has to return to how they started" idea. This inspired the refinement of those concepts in stories like All Star, Strength, Secret Identity, Red Son, Adventures, American Alien, Supreme, and Tom Strong. I'm not a silver age nut, but I've sure got reverence for it because of the stories I love.

But seriously, check those books out if you haven't already.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I have to admit that i haven't read as many comics as some of the expert users on this forum but i have read some, mostly modern stuff and when you decide to get in to super hero comics what is recommended to you are Alan Moore and Frank Miller. People are like, you want super hero stuff ? then read Watchmen, The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns first, the three absolute best works of Super hero comics. They are considered like that by many including me as far as i read super hero comics. And i usually don't like the old stuff... Lately i try Claremont Uncanny X-Men, i read almost half of the first omnibus and it was medicore at best so far. It Really pales in compereson to The what i consider the absolute best. May be it gets better in the further parts... but i'm really dissapointed with Claremont X-Men right now. I read some Silver age DC and i don't want to talk about the silver age DC... those stories are just cring worthy terrible things. They are the true joke versions of characters.
    I've been reading comics for 32 years and I agree that Alan Moore and Frank Miller are two of the best writers we've had - when they're at their best. They've both done stuff I don't care for too.

I also agree with you on Chris Claremont. I've tried many times to see what people like about his writing and it just bores me silly every time. The best thing I can say about him is that some good X-Men films have drawn from his stories.

BANNED

Solicit and date for the complete collection of the yet-to-be-released Superman Year One series has been released along with a (not final) cover

Superman: Year One
    Written by Frank Miller
    Illustrated by John Romita Jr.

Hardcover $29.99 US DC Comics | DC Black Label
    20 oz | 12 per carton
    On sale Nov 12, 2019 | 978-1-4012-9137-2

From legendary writer Frank Miller comes a groundbreaking, definitive treatment of Superman’s classic origin story, with art by John Romita Jr.

This story details new revelations that reframe the Man of Steel’s most famous milestones–from Kal-El’s frantic exile from Krypton, to Clark Kent’s childhood in Kansas, to his inevitable rise to become the most powerful and inspiring superhero of all time.

Frank Miller (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) and John Romita Jr. (All Star Batman) use their celebrated backgrounds to bring a fresh perspective to Superman’s origin, in a story that will live on as the pivotal Superman story.

The DC Black Label imprint features classic DC characters in compelling, standalone stories written and illustrated by world-class authors and artists.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...-gets-a-cover/
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-09-2019 at 08:49 AM.

DC wrote that this comic will be released in honor of the 80th anniversary of Superman, but it will be released in the anniversary year for Bruce and Billy. Since the beginning of last year, it was said that it will be released in August and then in November. Now they write at the end of this year. It would be better if the comic was canceled. Besides, judging by the number of negative comments, this comic will not be successful.

Projects don't have to be released in anniversary years. And projects get pushed back all the time. And you don't cancel projects because of people complaining online.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

I cannot figure out that cover. What is Clark doing with his arms? And what is that brown cloth?
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I cannot figure out that cover. What is Clark doing with his arms? And what is that brown cloth?
    It's supposed to be a coat, but looks more like...

Still feeling conflicted about this. On one hand Miller seems to be going places canon Superman would never go and taking some risks which is good. That’s what Black Label is supposed to be about. On the other hand we just got ANOTHER origin story, a pretty great one though, with Man and Superman. Even if Year One is good it will just be yet ANOTHER good origin story and I am so utterly bored with those as I am with Evil Superman stories. I wish to God someone would write a Black Label book about Supes that’s not about his origin, death, or turn to evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    DC wrote that this comic will be released in honor of the 80th anniversary of Superman, but it will be released in the anniversary year for Bruce and Billy. Since the beginning of last year, it was said that it will be released in August and then in November. Now they write at the end of this year. It would be better if the comic was canceled. Besides, judging by the number of negative comments, this comic will not be successful.
    1. That’s an absolutely terrible idea. You think any creator worth his salt is going to waste time with Black Label after you pull a fast one on Frank ******* Miller? DC is already on thin ice with Azz because of how quickly they showed they have no stomach for any real controversy.
    2. You’re basing sales off of Bleeding Cool comments? For real dude? I’ll be honest with you: Miller is nowhere near the star he once was. Without Batman I don’t know how well he’ll sell. But you can’t judge sales based off of what people are saying on the Internet. People complain about Johns Shazam but that book was still a top seller. People complain about Tom King Batman but that’s still a top seller. People hated on Azz WW but again that was still a top seller. People hated on DK3: The Master Race when it was announced but that was still a top seller and a huge success trade wise iirc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    People complain about Johns Shazam
    The inhuman monsters

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post

It's a non canon book we know nothing about. What would be the point?

1. That’s an absolutely terrible idea. You think any creator worth his salt is going to waste time with Black Label after you pull a fast one on Frank ******* Miller? DC is already on thin ice with Azz because of how quickly they showed they have no stomach for any real controversy.
    2. You’re basing sales off of Bleeding Cool comments? For real dude? I’ll be honest with you: Miller is nowhere near the star he once was. Without Batman I don’t know how well he’ll sell. But you can’t judge sales based off of what people are saying on the Internet. People complain about Johns Shazam but that book was still a top seller. People complain about Tom King Batman but that’s still a top seller. People hated on Azz WW but again that was still a top seller. People hated on DK3: The Master Race when it was announced but that was still a top seller and a huge success trade wise iirc.[/QUOTE]

I did not read the comments about Superman: Year One on BS. I read on different sites and most users write that letting a comic about Superman be written on a person who hates Clark and who wrote it terribly is a big mistake. Also, most people write that they will ignore this comic. DK III was very heavily branded and was written mostly in Azarello. In addition, many people write that it would be better if this comic was not released.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    It's a non canon book we know nothing about. What would be the point?
    The fact, that Miller writes Superman very badly.

I don't know, nothing Miller has written in the last like 20 years has really appealed to me. So I have little to no interest in his stuff generally. At least with DKIII you had Azzarello writing it for the most part, here it seems to be the same set up with JRJR doing the scripting and plotting stuff based off Miller's outlines. Which, not sure if that's better or worse.

And for what it's worth, Miller has claimed he loves Superman and his portrayal in the Batman centric stories isn't representative. Who knows. It might be pretty, but I'll probably be surprised if its coherent let alone good.