Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 274
  1. #91
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Romita’s artwork doesn’t look too bad with those covers.

  2. #92
    Incredible Member OpaqueGiraffe17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    519

    Default

    So Iím assuming buying this issue by issue will be notably cheaper than slamming down 30 bucks for the November trade? Iím onboard but that art isnít easy on the eyes.

  3. #93
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    "Superman: Year One is described by the publisher as the "definitive origin story" for the Man of Steel"

    And now I'm right back to seriously entertaining the possibility that this is the origin for our current Superman. They didn't say "this is a masterfully told alternate look at the Superman origin by two great creators" or "this is a new and exciting look at the early days of the Man of Steel." No. They apparently describe it as the "definitive origin story" for Superman. And it also should be noted that they're sticking with the Year One title in the same year that Flash Year One will be out and fully in continuity. If I had to guess, I'd say the only reason it's in black label is because is they simply wanted to give Miller and JRJR time and room to tell it. Superman's origin isn't really all that critical to the goings on of his current day comics, so this story can be both in continuity and basically ignored.

    Plus, I feel like I've got to note that Superman has on his new updated classic boots with the double V in the JRJR drawing. It's a little detail, sure, but it's just kind of odd if this were its own thing. I dunno. I guess it'll depend on the time period this is set. That'll give us our answer.

    Anyways, I actually really dig all three of the images a great deal especially the one with him in the monster's mouth. On a very basic level I'm actually really hype for this book. I really love everything in the description. "Faced with the need to hide his heritage and powers in order to survive, Clark will find his humanity through the grounding of the Kent family and the relationships that will define the man he will become." And framing Superman's growth as a person through his relationship with his parents, and each of the women he's dated is an extremely novel idea that I think I might love. Hell even the idea that at one point Clark joined the army doesn't immediately have me recoil because I think there's a germ of a great idea in there depending on what the narrative's goal for it is, and where Clark's head is at.

    That said....it's Frank Miller. I'm not one of those people who thinks he has it out for Superman or is incapable of getting Superman. No. I'm just recoil back a bit at the thought of Miller dealing Superman and women, and Superman joining the military. But I don't pretend to know where his sensibilities are at these days, or what he wants to communicate with those ideas and how he's gonna do it. I just have the description, and that, in this moment, is something that I'm willing to give a shot.

    Plus, if it is actually in continuity maybe he'll have to keep things to a specific tune? So there's that.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  4. #94

    Default

    A year later, DC will finally release this comic. I hope without delay.

  5. #95
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I'm at least curious enough to wait and let some reviews get in before deciding whether this is worthwhile or not. Sure, Frank Miller has been less hit and more miss these past 20 years, and has done Superman no favors even when he was writing the hits, but even his misses are still kind of fun little train wrecks if you don't take them too seriously. Besides, he wrote Superman poorly to prop up Batman - maybe that's less about his take on Superman than it is a writing crutch to prop up the main story character. Maybe in that case he'll write Batman or someone else poorly to prop up Superman, you never know. I mean, I'm a little skeptical the man is still capable of genius, but that doesn't mean he might not have one genuinely good story left in him, or failing that at least one hell of an entertaining train wreck left in him. Or like I'm the goddamn Batman, Superman will get another internet meme that's not Superpope marrying Jimmy to a monkey or something.
    I remember he also said he was rooting for Batman to win the fight in BvS...

    I don't feel he really likes Superman.. :/

  6. #96
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    "Superman: Year One is described by the publisher as the "definitive origin story" for the Man of Steel"

    And now I'm right back to seriously entertaining the possibility that this is the origin for our current Superman. They didn't say "this is a masterfully told alternate look at the Superman origin by two great creators" or "this is a new and exciting look at the early days of the Man of Steel." No. They apparently describe it as the "definitive origin story" for Superman. And it also should be noted that they're sticking with the Year One title in the same year that Flash Year One will be out and fully in continuity. If I had to guess, I'd say the only reason it's in black label is because is they simply wanted to give Miller and JRJR time and room to tell it. Superman's origin isn't really all that critical to the goings on of his current day comics, so this story can be both in continuity and basically ignored.

    Plus, I feel like I've got to note that Superman has on his new updated classic boots with the double V in the JRJR drawing. It's a little detail, sure, but it's just kind of odd if this were its own thing. I dunno. I guess it'll depend on the time period this is set. That'll give us our answer.

    Anyways, I actually really dig all three of the images a great deal especially the one with him in the monster's mouth. On a very basic level I'm actually really hype for this book. I really love everything in the description. "Faced with the need to hide his heritage and powers in order to survive, Clark will find his humanity through the grounding of the Kent family and the relationships that will define the man he will become." And framing Superman's growth as a person through his relationship with his parents, and each of the women he's dated is an extremely novel idea that I think I might love. Hell even the idea that at one point Clark joined the army doesn't immediately have me recoil because I think there's a germ of a great idea in there depending on what the narrative's goal for it is, and where Clark's head is at.

    That said....it's Frank Miller. I'm not one of those people who thinks he has it out for Superman or is incapable of getting Superman. No. I'm just recoil back a bit at the thought of Miller dealing Superman and women, and Superman joining the military. But I don't pretend to know where his sensibilities are at these days, or what he wants to communicate with those ideas and how he's gonna do it. I just have the description, and that, in this moment, is something that I'm willing to give a shot.

    Plus, if it is actually in continuity maybe he'll have to keep things to a specific tune? So there's that.
    I don't necessarily think this is canon. "Definitive origin" could mean that it's just a good story they are selling. As someone else pointed out on another thread, the only alternative stories they seem to tell with Superman are origins anymore. I do think we will eventually get a "new" origin for the mainstream version but I don't think they'd trust Frank Miller with that these days. Remember, they had to have Azzarello work with him on DKR3 just to keep him from going off the rails. That having been said "Year One" is an odd name for an alternate universe story given that the current WW origin is also called Year One.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  7. #97
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't necessarily think this is canon. "Definitive origin" could mean that it's just a good story they are selling. As someone else pointed out on another thread, the only alternative stories they seem to tell with Superman are origins anymore.
    Agreed. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm not stating anything as definitive proof. This being in continuity is not a hill I'm willing to die on. I just think it's possible, and I feel like I see hints, is all.

    Remember, they had to have Azzarello work with him on DKR3 just to keep him from going off the rails.
    To my knowledge, no one at DC ever said that Azz worked with Miller on DKR3 to "keep him from going off the rails." I think that was a collaborative effort on their part, and was in part due to Miller's health, and helping with the work load.

    That having been said "Year One" is an odd name for an alternate universe story given that the current WW origin is also called Year One.
    Exactly. And not just Wonder Woman, but Flash will also be getting an in continuity "Year One" story this same year. Calling it Year One and keeping it out of continuity when Batman, Wonder Woman, and Flash will have all of their Year One stories in continuity seems odd.

    It's also maybe worth noting that Miller said that he's getting some push back on the idea of him using Wonder Woman in this book. Why would there be any sort of push back if this is an out of continuity book that allows creators such freedom? Seems like the sort of push back a writer would get if they were working in an established continuity, ya know?
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  8. #98
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Because the last time he used Wonder Woman it was fucking awful ?

  9. #99
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,987

    Default

    I imagine the bulk of the push back is more from the shipping section. Considering his plans to utilize Superman's multiple romantic interests in this young Clark's adventures like Lori, and his own past work with Superman and Wonder Woman, he probably would use her in the same manner.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  10. #100
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I imagine the bulk of the push back is more from the shipping section. Considering his plans to utilize Superman's multiple romantic interests in this young Clark's adventures like Lori, and his own past work with Superman and Wonder Woman, he probably would use her in the same manner.
    Agree, and that's why I find the push back so odd when it's Miller specifically. In every Dark Knight story he has written Superman has been romantic with Wonder Woman. And it's not as if it's an issue of "well, this isn't called The Dark Knight" because All Star Batman and Robin is a thing, and Superman and Wonder Woman had a very overt romantic interaction there. If this were out of continuity and likely part of Miller's universe (and by all rights you'd imagine it would be) why would there be any push back on using Wonder Woman as a romantic partner to Superman at some point in his life?

    The only explanation I can think of is that this is in continuity, because in current continuity there is a very real pivot away from that romance. It's even to the point where I don't think it's all together clear if they ever dated.

    I'll wait and see what comes of it obviously, but between that, Black Label books being allowed to be in continuity if that's the aim (Three Jokers), calling it Year One, and the solicit boldly calling it "the definitive origin" I'm not even remotely ruling out the idea that this is the new origin.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  11. #101
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,555

    Default

    I feel like it's possible there are elements in this origin that could be used in canon like possibly Clark going to the armey before coming to Metropolis, but I'm doubtful DC would make this the in continuity origin without seeing how people take this book.

    Though I did see Bendis retweet about year one, so who knows..

  12. #102
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Well the way Black Label was advertised initially, they made comparisons to The Killing Joke. That wasn’t meant to be canon but it was so popular that they folded it in. With Year One they could be considering something similar. People love it? DC makes it the new official origin. People hate it? It stays noncanon. I’m not really keen on Clark canonically being a soldier but I do like that Frank is apparently going to touch on the non-Lois romantic relationships. So we’ll see.

    But for the love of Rao LET THIS BE THE LAST ORIGIN. I’m so bored of people constantly retelling it, even when it’s good like Man and Superman. Put a block on Superman origin stories for a decade, I’ll even take Death stories in their place (provided it’s not Doomsday that kills him).

  13. #103
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,024

    Default

    I really feel the same. I hope this is great, why not? But we're good on those really.

    This looks like Romita maybe trading his speed for something polished nicely in his style. I would like a bigger build but this is riveting.

    And yeah, it's probably temp to hire like most stories that catch on without continuity.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  14. #104
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Is no one else bothered by Superman's legs on these covers? Something about them just weirds me out.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Adventures of the Super Sons, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  15. #105
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Is no one else bothered by Superman's legs on these covers? Something about them just weirds me out.
    They don’t look great. Honestly DC walking back on allowing nudity might be a good thing. Romita Jr. sex scenes would probably be the stuff of nightmares.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •