Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Although I'm not thrilled with the idea of Clark playing sports in school, everything else looks great. I more prefer an adolescence where he purposely pretends he can do none of those things. One of the few things I liked about the disastrous Secret Origin. But, with so many nuances to Superman, there's always going to be some aspect that's not 100% ideal to me, as I've come to realize. Only I could create my own ideal.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

So which one will it be:
    The navy is incompetent and nobody realizes he is an alien
    Or the state knows who Superman is from the beginning in this

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    So which one will it be:
    The navy is incompetent and nobody realizes he is an alien
    Or the state knows who Superman is from the beginning in this
    Given Miller now says this is connected to the DK universe, probably the latter. Would fit with his becoming a government lapdog in TDKR. Really disappointed by that connection. I have no interest in the DK verse at all.

Fantastic Member

That art is distractingly disproportionate. Clark looks like he's on the Hector Hammond diet.

Disproportionate but adorable so I'm okay with it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I just hope there's no sequence where pre-costume Clark storms through Smallville's "red light district", with a bunch of bizarre confrontations with prostitutes, pimps, and "street gangs"..

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

very small nitpick but it kinda is annoying that Martha isn't in the panels with Jonathan seeing clark for the first time. Besides that, I agree with this being some of romita's best art in a while.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The art is some of the amazing Romita Jr stuff I feel like has been so rare since Thor. I'm very excited. This Marvel method of sorts will work well because not being the most informed with Superman means that he'll be doing things we don't see wheeled out every origin.

Miller meanwhile says he's been waiting since boyhood. I'm glad because he's not the guy to forget the Murrica that should be in the character. It's also clever how they seem to make the S part of Krypton without just being the letter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Genuinely breathtaking work from Romita JR and the colorist Miki.
    Miki does inks, Sinclair colors. And I think it's much better than Sinclair's (pretty good) normal work, which we see monthly with Bendis.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

At least those pages make it look like Frank Miller is pretty "contained". I have come to fear some of Miller's writing, but he seems to be putting a lot of heart into this. I hope it's good and doesn't take forever to end.

I'm a big fan of John Romita Jr's pencils when he's dedicating time to the story, and thus far it looks great. Also, I'm pretty bad at identifying inkers, but I know that when Miki does inks, it will be a pretty good job
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I just hope there's no sequence where pre-costume Clark storms through Smallville's "red light district", with a bunch of bizarre confrontations with prostitutes, pimps, and "street gangs"..
    "All I need is one single, distracting detail." (put on glasses)
    Assassinate Putin!

Romita Jr. art looks damn good honestly. This is definitely going to be outside the norm given that he’ll be joining the military and almost certainly be killing people as a Navy SEAL. How Miller handles that will decide how I feel about this origin. And I really doubt that DC will make this canon, Clark being in the military would be another massive shakeup. It will just be Year One for the DKR Superman and that’s fine.

I love the look of all the preview pages but this one is probably my favourite. So cool.

If a picture is worth 1000 words ... these ones are each worth 2000

With Clark part of the Navy Seals. I wonder how they're going to handle situations where Clark is supposed to follow orders, stay with his unit, and maintain a human front, but clearly he could solve things by going super... we'll see..

BANNED

Year One is now rated T+, and will not just be for mature readers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...-readers-only/

A WAY past his prime Frank Miller on writing chores and JRJr on art? DOUBLE no thanks...