Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Nope. The Lex incident I was talking about was during the New 52 (still technically canon) just a couple years ago. He actually JOINED the League at that time.
    Well then I was wrong and I apologize. I kind of write off New 52 for the most part. Still I would say it's an odd duck with that situation. Normally they wouldn't have allowed it to happen, or at least Bats and Superman, and Green Arrow or Diana, or Hal would be against him joining. Not sure about Vic, but I don't see how or why anyone of them would trust him. Have him as someone who is a ally, sure, but not as someone who is on the team, that's a bit, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, having a Robin Hood-esque thief on the team, compared to Lex, would be a lot easier for the League to adjust to.

But knowing her character, I just don't see Selina full on joining the League. Helping out when the need calls for it, sure. But I don't see her wanting to be in the League.
    Agreed. Ally to them, helper at times. I don't think she would get along with the rules and regulations they go by.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    See, I think being the wife of Batman would be interesting to explore in relationship to the Justice League characters. It's a huge status quo change for the personality of Bruce and I don't think Selina would ever allow anyone to think of her just as the wife of Batman. I don't see her letting that fly with any character - whether Leaguer or Gotham villain - but it'd be interesting to see that play out if Hal or Vic or Barry attempted to put her in that position. It's not in Selina's character to be marginalized like that - she's too tenacious a person, too powerful a figure, and too big an icon.
    Even if she doesn't want people to think that, there's always people that will, especially in the real world. It's fine to see her explore with the league as a ally, but as a member, no. And again, I don't think he would vote yes to having her on the team as he would have to worry about her and such. In the JSA we had that happen a few times with Hourman and Liberty Bell, but the difference was that both are Meta humans with powers, Selina is a human with skills, but no powers, so she wouldn't be in the same position as say Hour-man or Liberty Bell was.

It'd obviously depend on the creative team working on her, but I'd approach it as part of the story to tell that reinforces her Catwoman identity and not one solely in relationship to Batman. At least I'd find that an interesting story to tell and read.

I guess I'm not as beholden to the idea that Selina is only being defined as being Bruce's wife throughout this whole wedding arc. Sure, that's an important aspect of the story - how Bruce is feeling and changing -, but my read is that they're co-leads in the book and we're getting some growth in Selina too and it's not at her expense.
    I would hope that the creative team was smart about this. But we've seen before with other pairings how writers and artist can turn a character from very dynamic into someone that is there to push the narration for one character.

But you're right, when a woman character isn't fully realized in a relationship, it gets boring fast. I wasn't against Superman and Wonder Woman dating for a while in the DCnU (because I knew it wouldn't last), until they got into it and didn't do anything interesting with it. Clark and Diana together should have changed and freaked out the DCU at large - civilians, heroes, and especially villains. The two most powerful beings on the planet were having a romantic relationship and the storytelling and world-building on that was lackluster, costing Diana's character more than Clark's in my opinion. A missed opportunity. (I also was of the mindset of putting Steve Trevor and Lois Lane together as a couple at that time as a juxtaposition to the SuperWonder romance. Another missed opportunity - even if I'm the only one who thinks so.)

I hope writers don't take the approach you're talking about with Catwoman. She's one of DC's hugest icons and they have the opportunity to tell a story here that's equally about Batman AND Catwoman.
    I hope you're right on how they're going to take the character. But given previous choices by the EIC we have at DC during his time at Marvel, and what happened with Diana and Clark, I would say just hold on tight, it might be a bumpy ride. I can see in the Batbooks her keeping who she is, but my worry is that other writers are going to do to her and Bruce what they did to Clark and Diana ("You're strong." "I know.") and turn both of them into stereotypes. Bruce constantly worrying about her and her safety, or ignoring her and acting like his brooding self. And having Catwoman flirt with every male on the team, and pit her against Diana, or Vixen and have them bicker, or some such nonsense because...Catwoman is known for being a flirty person by most non bat writers, and most people have a perception of her from the old 66 series, and the animated series and the movies.

Agreed on all the missed opportunities with the pairings.

Fantastic Member

That is why the wonderwoman and superman pairing never worked out because of the exact same reasons. Also their skills and how they would use them would be redundant as well. That is why being on the same team or working together most of the time makes no sense unless the story calls for it and even then for an odd reason it is more limiting than when lois and clark have adventures together. Why because their skill sets are exactly the same and it difficult to write them working together. If Steve Trevor was more like a Nick Fury then that with that relationship with diana would actually work because they compliment each other perfectly but because marston was about women empowerment he created the first male weenie character in media which most writers are to lazy to fix. Unfotunately that is how it will go that is why the bat/cat marriage or crime fighting partnership makes no sense. Also Tom King has already pushed Selina more by making bruce incompetent but those who like that run either hate batman or love the marriage more than just batman the character.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Well then I was wrong and I apologize. I kind of write off New 52 for the most part. Still I would say it's an odd duck with that situation. Normally they wouldn't have allowed it to happen, or at least Bats and Superman, and Green Arrow or Diana, or Hal would be against him joining. Not sure about Vic, but I don't see how or why anyone of them would trust him. Have him as someone who is a ally, sure, but not as someone who is on the team, that's a bit, weird.
    Oh, they didn't trust him. At all. Superman least of all. His first meeting with Lex in the New 52 involved Lex torturing him in an effort to find out his weaknesses.

That was kinda the point I was making. They knew how bad he was, but they worked with him all the same. Selina's nowhere near as bad as him, so they'd have even less problems there.

The story was that the League HAD to let Lex join because the rest of the planet are Stupid Flakes that morning and declared Lex "Teh Greatest Hero Evar" because he saved the world where the League couldn't. One good deed erases his entire criminal past in the eyes of the people.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

No I don't think Catwoman should join the Justice League.

Half of the people on the upcoming new Justice League teams shouldn't be on there either, LOL!