View Poll Results: How long will the Batman/Catwoman marriage last?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • For as long as Dick Grayson's switch from Robin to Nightwing: PERMANENT

20 23.81%
  • For as long as Jason Todd was dead: not forever, but a pretty long time.

25 29.76%
  • One storyline...which might still take two to five years to play out.

39 46.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

What was it like in the 90s when Superman got married? Did people think it was temporary then as well?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I think people accepted it more because they saw Superman more as the "marrying type" and Lois is considered a "good" person all around. Couples like Clark/Lois and Barry/Iris tend to get accepted more and looked upon as more stable couples that are fine if they are together as a married couple.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    To me, if you're going to do this, it shouldn't be a single creator flash in the pan stunt; I'd say about five years is how long you should toy with the idea, to make it a bit more of an "era" kind of like how Damian's pre-Death run defines a period in Bat-history.

King can still be the one to end it, but I want to see people use it in different books for some time.

And whatever you do, just don't end it with some stupid cosmic retcon.
    I dunno, I feel like it would need to be a bigger deal across the books as a whole to really feel like an "era" but most books have hardly even acknowledged the engagement or Catwoman at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, I feel like it would need to be a bigger deal across the books as a whole to really feel like an "era" but most books have hardly even acknowledged the engagement or Catwoman at all.
    Probably just as well. Then we don't get all sorts of contradictory versions of her personality.

Honestly I'm not sure, everything keeps changing but I could see this being a new constant moment in the DCU.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    What was it like in the 90s when Superman got married? Did people think it was temporary then as well?
    I recall one early 2000s documentary where a DC bigwig (forget who) admitted he wished they could have revealed the marriage was a bad dream

...But that aside, versions of Lois and Clark had been allowed to get married in decades leading up to it, it felt like a very natural thing to do.

Mighty Member

I dunno how long it will last, but I'm already tired of it. But if they break up, then Selina better not be fridged. That would be awful.

I prefer to think of this as an elseworlds/imaginary storyline!

As permanent as Superman's marriage is. Permanent is a relative term in comics as it cannot account for REALLY major shuffles in continuity. So with that in mind let's put that aside, and just think within the frame of mind of this continuity. As long as it keeps going, this will keep going. There's no way it doesn't happen, and there's no way its simply erased as soon as King is done. They've built it up too much.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-26-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Bar none the funniest thing about the Bruce Selina marriage has been some of the reactions. There were quite a lot of Batfans thumbing their noses at the idea of Supes being unmarried. You all need to put your money where your mouth is, if marriage is such a wonderful thing then join in on the fun.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Bar none the funniest thing about the Bruce Selina marriage has been some of the reactions. There were quite a lot of Batfans thumbing their noses at the idea of Supes being unmarried. You all need to put your money where your mouth is, if marriage is such a wonderful thing then join in on the fun.
    One of us! One of us! One of us!

Fantastic Member

That depends on if they get married which I'm a little doubtful of at the moment. Has the marriage been mentioned in other Bat titles? Has Selina and Bruce tried to bond with the family?

They're absolutely getting married. You don't do this kind of marketing only to not go through with what you're peddling. They've concretely said the wedding takes place in Batman #50, they've spent 5 months building up to at a constant level in the Batman title since her answer, and now we're even getting one-shot, wedding-based issues featuring those closest to him as the date draws nearer. You don't do something like that and then pull a fast one on the readership. Not unless you actively want to lose them.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-26-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think this will be a permanent move or as permanent as something can be in comics. I can't imagine that DC hasn't seen or felt the constant backlash against breaking couples up. Iris/Barry, Lois/Clark, Mera/Arthur and even MJ/Peter at marvel, have all received tons of hate from fans and any gains that were made by breaking those couples up were quickly lost in the long term. I just can't imagine DC greenlighting this whole thing only to undo it. While it certainly is true that Bruce is not the most likely candidate for marriage, it certainly isn't like he can't adjust to it. When morrison just dropped Damian into the books, nobody thought that they would just eventually get rid of Damian and while erasing a character is more difficult than erasing a marriage it still would be pretty stupid to just have batman and Catwoman break up. Batman has been around for almost 80 years, I think DC sees a married batman as a chance to mix it up and set up the next 80 years of stories without completely changing the character
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by EMarie View Post
    That depends on if they get married which I'm a little doubtful of at the moment. Has the marriage been mentioned in other Bat titles? Has Selina and Bruce tried to bond with the family?
    No not a whisper.
    Bruce and Selina haven't had any interactions with the family since the engagement. They seem so isolated. Even poor Alfie seems to be a rare occurrence in Batman.

I voted for the last options