Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do You Think Talia can be redeemed?

I honestly liked how Talia was originally like how she was always torn between her loyalty to her father and to Bruce I really don't care for what's been done with her and I've always hoped she some how returns to how she was originally. I've always felt like one of two things could happen it could come out that Talia was abducted after giving birth and replaced with a clone or something and I think that would be interesting especially if Damian discovered his mother in some cell belonging to a random whatever secret evil paramilitary organization and quickly realized that she was not only his mother but was also in the dark about what had been happening with Damian. I only came up with this idea because it seems like a standard retcon move comics pull.

Alternatively I feel like maybe Talia getting locked in Arkham and being subjected to a very cruel form of "therapy" by someone like Dr. Strange and or Scarecrow (I think Strange would be a more likely candidate for something like this though I mean he even did it in Gotham) would be interesting and for her to be released after being deemed "cured" but for the real reason for her being released being that it's part of some scheme to attack Batman and Robin emotionally and for Talia to not actually be cured but for it to be implied that she was like a time bomb that would snap. Like Strange deducing that Talia would likely keep trying to make things right with Damian knowing he would never be able to trust her and consequently would reject her and make her fully snap and kill him but for something unexpected to happen like after being rejected by Damian, Talia tries taking her own life but is saved and Strange is stunned that she didn't kill Damian.

Though I feel like even if Talia did get locked up in Arkham just knowing that she was "cured" by the doctors there, would send off a red flag for Bruce and he'd just know something was up.

I don’t think it matters. Talia is far better off unapologetic.

BANNED

Clone. Alternate universe evil double. Possessed by a demon. Lazarus pit insanity. Or just retcon it out like they did Superman murdering the pocket-universe Kryptonians in cold blood.

The real question is "should they?".

Also, why would Talia ever see the inside of Arkham? It's a mental institution, not a prison.
    Last edited by Carabas; 03-25-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Clone. Alternate universe evil double. Possessed by a demon. Lazarus pit insanity. Or just retcon it out like they did Superman murdering the pocket-universe Kryptonians in cold blood.

Also, why would Talia ever see the inside of Arkham? It's a mental institution, not a prison.
    Well one could say the same for any of Batman's enemies. I mean she's technically in a cult her father runs so you argue inanity that way.

Ra's made a copy and put her memories. Done.

Yeah I prefer how she is portrayed now, it makes for more interesting stories especially given the conflict it causes for Damian Wayne.

Amazing Member

I prefer her as Lawful evil mom who weirdly loves her Lawful good Babyfather and son but is still all in on her evil plans. The Family dynamics are amazing.

No.. She is like another villains like Clayface that you think that you can redeem but then... they will be pushed to the evil side again..

I even saw Clafyace during Tynion run with more chances to be redeemed than Talia..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-26-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Most of the Arkham occupants aren't actually mentally ill. Arkham' a pretty outdated depiction of a mental institution.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I honestly liked how Talia was originally like how she was always torn between her loyalty to her father and to Bruce I really don't care for what's been done with her and I've always hoped she some how returns to how she was originally. I've always felt like one of two things could happen it could come out that Talia was abducted after giving birth and replaced with a clone or something and I think that would be interesting especially if Damian discovered his mother in some cell belonging to a random whatever secret evil paramilitary organization and quickly realized that she was not only his mother but was also in the dark about what had been happening with Damian. I only came up with this idea because it seems like a standard retcon move comics pull.

Alternatively I feel like maybe Talia getting locked in Arkham and being subjected to a very cruel form of "therapy" by someone like Dr. Strange and or Scarecrow (I think Strange would be a more likely candidate for something like this though I mean he even did it in Gotham) would be interesting and for her to be released after being deemed "cured" but for the real reason for her being released being that it's part of some scheme to attack Batman and Robin emotionally and for Talia to not actually be cured but for it to be implied that she was like a time bomb that would snap. Like Strange deducing that Talia would likely keep trying to make things right with Damian knowing he would never be able to trust her and consequently would reject her and make her fully snap and kill him but for something unexpected to happen like after being rejected by Damian, Talia tries taking her own life but is saved and Strange is stunned that she didn't kill Damian.

Though I feel like even if Talia did get locked up in Arkham just knowing that she was "cured" by the doctors there, would send off a red flag for Bruce and he'd just know something was up.
    Talia was cured. It was in Robin Son of Batman. The evil in her was extracted out in a form of black marble thing or whatever it was.

The question isn't that she can be redeemed or not, of course she can. It's a fiction with a habit of reboot. The problem is whether DC want it or not.

I don't think they want, since they've spent the last 10 years agreeing with Morrison's take, promoting her as a villain in The Dark Knight Rises and animated movie. Even after she was cured, she's back in Super Sons acting as assassin mother who cares about Damian in her own way.

Personally I'm more interested in this Talia than the others. The original villain's daughter falling in love with the hero is an old trope, but Morrison's version is too evil. This new one, the assassin queen who cares about her son in her own way is the most complex one.

BANNED

If Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn can, I don't see why not Talia as well. But Talia's fans aren't nearly as numerous or...uh...VOCAL as fans of Ivy and Harley, so she's far less likely to have any kind of "redemption".

I liked Talia more when she was noble, aristocratic, and torn between the ideals of Batman and her father. But she's just become so unscrupulous, moral-devoid and bloodthirsty to the point that I have zero interest in entertaining ideas of her redemption. It would just be more contrivance and the last thing the Bat-mythos needs is further defanging of its villainesses.

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    If Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn can, I don't see why not Talia as well. But Talia's fans aren't nearly as numerous or...uh...VOCAL as fans of Ivy and Harley, so she's far less likely to have any kind of "redemption".

I liked Talia more when she was noble, aristocratic, and torn between the ideals of Batman and her father. But she's just become so unscrupulous, moral-devoid and bloodthirsty to the point that I have zero interest in entertaining ideas of her redemption. It would just be more contrivance and the last thing the Bat-mythos needs is further defanging of its villainesses.
    Talia is no way near Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn.
    Pamela Isley is at first a scientist. And Harley Quinzle is a Doctor.
    They were once good beings that were perverted for different reasons.
    Talia is so mean and evil. She doesn't know what good is.
    But with a cleaver idea (that I don't have) it could be possible to manage something.
    Then they could create a sort of rivilerie between her and Selina torwards Bruce.

BANNED

Marvel very recently chickened out of their Felicia Hardy heel turn, despite her committing some largely irredeemable acts, so there's always hope.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Talia is no way near Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn.
    Pamela Isley is at first a scientist. And Harley Quinzle is a Doctor.
    They were once good beings that were perverted for different reasons.
    Talia is so mean and evil. She doesn't know what good is.
    But with a cleaver idea (that I don't have) it could be possible to manage something.
    Then they could create a sort of rivilerie between her and Selina torwards Bruce.
    Except Talia was conditioned toward evil from birth by her father's upbringing, yet her original incarnation still saw her in an antiheroic fashion.

And what exactly are you getting at by namedropping professions as if that means literally anything? Are you saying mundane academic job titles have a prediliction towards a moral inclination that you find to be empathetic? That's a very bold claim in a world of Harvey Dents, Hugo Stranges and Jonathan Cranes.

Trauma is no excuse for evil, whether or not you were a...scientist or whatever. What an absurd position.

Astonishing Member

Anybody COULD be redeemed but Talia is just cooler as a villain. Best to leave it that way imo.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory