Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Default Who is your D&D Style Team?

Watched something interesting and thought I would bring it here.

Using any fictional person, pick a team to accompany you into Fantasy world that fills the following requirements in D&D Terms: Fighter, Mage, Tank, Rogue, and Cleric.

(I realize Tank is not a D&D class but more a type, but that was the example used and I’m sticking with it).

Try to keep them from one universe if you can. Or just make one from one and another from multiple.

Or just have fun with it.

My Example:

Rogue: Cassandra Cain
    Mage: Zatanna
    Fighter: Black Canary
    Tank: Thunder
    Cleric: Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

I’ll admit, I could play and switch Zatanna and Hoshi around and both would work well there.

So, who’s your team?

Bonus: Fill out the rest of the D&D Charcater Classes/Types.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 03-24-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

Using any fictional person, pick a team to accompany you into Fantasy world that fills the following requirements in D&D Terms: Fighter, Mage, Tank, Rogue, and Cleric.

Try to keep them from one universe if you can.

Well THAT'S easy; Sabin, Terra, Cyan, Locke, and Celes.

Freyla, Vivi, Stiener, Zidane, and Dagger

Fighter, Black Mage, Fighter, Thief, White Mage (Or after Bahamuet versions)

etc.

Assuming you just want them for their party roles. If you want me to match more general flavor that might be a bit trickier. (Like making my "Cleric" religious figures)
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well THAT'S easy; Sabin, Terra, Cyan, Locke, and Celes.

Freyla, Vivi, Stiener, Zidane, and Dagger

Fighter, Black Mage, Fighter, Thief, White Mage (Or after Bahamuet versions)

etc.

Assuming you just want them for their party roles. If you want me to match more general flavor that might be a bit trickier. (Like making my "Cleric" religious figures)
    Either or.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

BANNED

Aren't fighters and tanks usually the same?

There is no character class called Tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Aren't fighters and tanks usually the same?

There is no character class called Tank.

True, that was just what Geek & Sundry had it listed as in their example. Tank isn’t a character class (aside from Barbarian maybe), but more a type.

Forgive me.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

BANNED

Thinking about it, it's two seperate things.

Character classes are the roles you play in the story. Sneaky thief, arrogant mage, badass warrior...

Things like tank, controller, DPS, healer... those are just what you do in combat.

The Fighter who aggros everything and tries to keep the enemy focused on him is a tank.
    The Fighter who doesn't care about that at all but does have ludicrous strength and # of attacks and whatnot is a DPS melee character.

The Mage that is standing there turning everthing he sees into barbeque with fireballs is DPS.
    The other Mage who is slowing enemies, charming them, stunning them... is a controller.

I find classes to be archaic.
    And tanks, DPS... is something from MMORPGs and should have stayed there.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

I find classes to be archaic.
    D&D must feel really ancient to you, then.

Nah, it has its uses in other places.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    D&D must feel really ancient to you, then.
    It does, yes. Because it really is. Playing Exalted 3rd edition and West End Games Star Wars at the moment.

It does, yes. Because it really is. Playing Exalted 3rd edition and West End Games Star Wars at the moment.
    You mean the game that came out in 1987 and went out of print nearly 20 years ago?

5e D&D that came out 4 years ago not quite so archaic then?

(I mean I loved the old West End Games Star Wars myself, but it is OLD!)

Anyway, to the point of the thread...

Rogue: Nightcrawler (Tiefling using the Swashbuckler sub-class)
    Mage (Wizard): Dr Strange (I mean... really)
    Fighter: Vargas (actually difficult to find someone who uses weapons and can tank big hits but isn’t a Paladin, Monk or Barbarian). I think Black Knight could also be the Cavalier sub-class here, but he’s not going to take the sort of hits he’d need to.
    Tank (Barbarian): Hulk (When stuck as Hulk - a class that’s defined by getting stronger through rage? Is there any other choice? Oh, and probably a half-orc.)
    Cleric: Angel (Aasimar healer, and someone who can even resurrect the dead, but who is also useful in combat)

Other classes (not listed):
    Paladin: Valkyrie (armoured warrior with a divine purpose). Captain America is arguably a Paladin as well.
    Monk: Iron Fist (exceptional martial artist and Ki user)
    Warlock: The Hood (with power borrowed from Dormammu’s cloak). Brother Voodoo or Shaman are other options, but neither is so explicitly getting their magic from a hugely powerful dark entity). Thinking about it, Magik is actually a better shout, especially with the Hexblade sub-class.
    Sorcerer: Scarlet Witch (born with innate ‘magic’).

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

(I realize Tank is not a D&D class but more a type, but that was the example used and I’m sticking with it).

Try to keep them from one universe if you can. Or just make one from one and another from multiple.

Or just have fun with it.

My Example:

Rogue: Cassandra Cain
    Mage: Zatanna
    Fighter: Black Canary
    Tank: Thunder
    Cleric: Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

I’ll admit, I could play and switch Zatanna and Hoshi around and both would work well there.

So, who’s your team?

Bonus: Fill out the rest of the D&D Charcater Classes/Types.
    I feel like Cass is the fighter and Canary is the Rogue. At least, in relation to each other. Cass is the definition of min maxed for combat; she has dumped her intelligence and charisma so low she can't read and can barely speak. She's maxed out her stealth skill, but has nothing else left really. Canary isn't as optimized a fighter but is much more well rounded, putting her in a better place to represent the skill monkey status of the rogue.

Really, Cass is probably a monk, given her lack of armor and weapons. And perception and sense motive are both wisdom based skills, which would be the closest things for her body reading. But it amounts to the same thing as a primary martial striker.

I feel like cleric is a hard role to properly fill in comics. Healing powers simply aren't that prevalent in the medium. There's a decent amount of divine magic users though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I feel like Cass is the fighter and Canary is the Rogue. At least, in relation to each other. Cass is the definition of min maxed for combat; she has dumped her intelligence and charisma so low she can't read and can barely speak. She's maxed out her stealth skill, but has nothing else left really. Canary isn't as optimized a fighter but is much more well rounded, putting her in a better place to represent the skill monkey status of the rogue.

Really, Cass is probably a monk, given her lack of armor and weapons. And perception and sense motive are both wisdom based skills, which would be the closest things for her body reading. But it amounts to the same thing as a primary martial striker.

I feel like cleric is a hard role to properly fill in comics. Healing powers simply aren't that prevalent in the medium. There's a decent amount of divine magic users though.
    Thor could be a cleric

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Thor could be a cleric
    Yeah, and Wonder Woman too.

Edit: Diana might be a paladin, actually.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 03-24-2018 at 12:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Thor could be a cleric
    "I pray to myself and then grant myself lightning powers. Stark keeps complaining I'm off my meds again."

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Can I just use the fifteenth level Pathfinder group I'm in?

Tank: Lucinda Belmont (Me!) Whip reach fighter. Total area lockdown with an effective radius of 45 feet when she's in max range mode. Also has a pet wyvern.
    Rogue/DPS: Kamui Izuna Nagi, kumiho Unrogue/Slayer with vulpine pounce and cornugon smash/shatter defenses so she can just rip around the battlefield opening up cans of big damage and debuffs with a katana. Has a pet imp named Neezil.
    Mage: Uttama Poornata, the slightly racist elven arcanist. I don't have to explain much here. Does wizard things.
    Ranger: Quattro Bajeena (yes), zen archer who may actually be Char Aznable
    Cleric: Izuna's wands of cure light wounds

For a more serious, answer, lets see here, rolling with the assumption that these guys all sort of get put on an even videogame-type playing field where their actual relative power levels don't matter much...

Tank: Guts. I can actually stat out pretty much everything he does, and I appreciate his build. He will be far more effective once I get him a set of level appropriate gear to complement his armour and sword. Cleave/Vital Strike via Cleaving Smash makes him pretty ideal for wading into tons and tons of guys and holding attention.
    Rogue/Striker: **** it, I'm taking Ranma. Umisenken stands in for the majority of rogue abilities, and he's pretty effective as a striker too. May actually develop a good relationship with Guts.
    Cleric: Raja from Phantasy Star IV. Because he's pretty much the best cleric in anything. Also puns.
    Fighter: Katt from Breath of Fire 2, because she's just damn fantastic. Obviously shipping her and Ranma.
    Mage: Ainz Ooal Gown. Because I like winning.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

DPR and tanking have been a thing since first edition D&D. MMOs just gave them names and codified them. The rest is just that as systems gained complexity, players found more ways to be good at those things, and skewed further into them (I find you get better group dynamics this way anyhow). Really, tanking and DPR are about the most basic roles, and were around before a lot of the stuff that makes your modern controller/healer/thief function existed.

Classless systems are alright. Even Exalted has some broad categories it sorts characters into for suggesting particular abilities though. And when you get down to it, while it doesn't pick your abilities for you, it nudges you pretty hard toward them. If your dawn isn't good at hitting things, they aren't much of a dawn, even from a strictly RP perspective, because the second breath is also hitting you with fragments of the collected memories and skills of some of history's finest warriors.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands