Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I'm really enjoying this run of JL Dark. It's odd how the view cameos of magic characters makes the magical community feel much more whole than some other parts of DC.

Also I'm starting to become a fan of man-bat. His wonderment of the world of magic is oddly adorable and I was really proud of what he did (cant say for spoiler warning). Also Bobo has had a lot of character development in this so far.

This is definitely my favorite iteration of JLD, and my favorite “Death of Magic” story (even though it seems to be the only magic story DC wants to tell).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This is definitely my favorite iteration of JLD, and my favorite “Death of Magic” story (even though it seems to be the only magic story DC wants to tell).
    I guess in general magic is not taken seriously plus the non-scientific aspects of it turn people off is why there are not many magic stories. Although this and Geoff Johns with Shazam is building the magic side. Only thing with Shazam is that it's going to be mainly about him and his family, which means not a lot of the fun side of magic with other younger magic heroes.

Lol most writers are awful at science. I think the fact that most of DC’s mystic characters were better used over in Vertigo, where writers had more freedom, is why they didn’t get much focus in the mainline. With Vertigo’s demise we’ve seen more usage of characters like Constantine in the DCU. Johns is clearly building up Shazam’s side of the DCU while Tynion handles the more “adult” side of magic which suits me fine. I enjoy both “tones” as it were.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really don’t want to see Dr. Fate dumbed down yet again. Since the 90s it’s seemed like the person under the helmet of Fate has always been a novice. I missed him being the badass mage. We finally got a powerful Dr. Fate back and I guess all they could think to do with him is make him a villain. I haven’t ever read any Dr. Strange comics. How does Marvel handle him?
    As Lee Stone said, pretty much the same. Most writers seem to be just unwilling or unable to write a story with a strong magic character, which is especially glaring in most team books. Waid seems to be doing pretty well with a full-powered Stephen right now though

I'm continuing to like this team, and Tynion's writing in this series is pretty solid. The variant cover for #10 was just plain hideous though. How does that get through the editing department?

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...eague-dark-10/

Looks like Flornic Man is joining the Parliament of Flowers The design is shown in the Year of Villains one-shot in the back. I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Looks like Flornic Man is joining the Parliament of Flowers The design is shown in the Year of Villains one-shot in the back. I like it a lot.
    Ok, that’s terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Well, I think we have a winner for "best redesign of 2019" .

I enjoy JLD much more than the JLO.
    I am not into magic much but having Wonder Woman and Bobo in this book helps make it more interesting for me. Characters tangent to magic but not "magic" people.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I'm continuing to like this team, and Tynion's writing in this series is pretty solid. The variant cover for #10 was just plain hideous though. How does that get through the editing department?

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...eague-dark-10/
    The cover to the upcoming annual is one I don't care for.
    It looks like it should be a variant.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The cover to the upcoming annual is one I don't care for.
    It looks like it should be a variant.
    I just don't get why you'd allow a sub-par cover. That's what sells the book! That's why I stuck my toe in on this series in issue #5!

Nobody ever know what he'll find in the Hall of Justice apparently : https://www.newsarama.com/45250-wond...stice-bar.html

Incredible Member

Apparently Zatannas Birthday was at 20th, so happy birthday to her.

Another couple of Q&As on Twitter from Tynion, that might or might not be relevant to JLD:

On Dr. October

Q: Do you have any plans to bring back Dr. October?

A: I have a very specific scene I want to write with her and Kirk Langstrom, whom I see as rival Monster Scientists. I have yet to figure out WHEN this scene takes place.
    Drink with Detective Chimp or John Constantine?

Q: Who would you rather drink with Constantine or Detective chimp ? And why lol

A: Detective Chimp, 100%. John would probably steal something off me, or get me killed in some horrifying way (though Bobo's track record isn't MUCH better on that front...)
    On Swamp Thing

Q: What are your favorite swamp thing stories? do you have plans for a solo swamp thing book (and a tim drake one, please)?

A: American Gothic! And all my Swampy plans are in the book right now, but I've got a LOT of them!
    On the Green

Q: Are the parliament of trees completely gone? Will the parliament of flowers seek to have their own avatar?

A: Check out JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK ANNUAL #1, in stores next month!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])