Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I thought it was a really good first issue. I liked how Tynion showed off DC's magical side as considering themselves different from the "capes". I loved how Constantine made his first appearance. I feel like Tynion has a good handle on each character's voice and manages to make them all sound different. I'm a bit iffy on the Zatanna redesign, I prefer her classic costume.

Also man this comic got pretty graphic with the body horror, moreso than I'd expect for a non-Vertigo book.

Incredible Member

I'm actually pretty interested. I like man-bat and detective chimp the best so far. I will admit I do forget that Diana's whole story exists in the magical universe, but evertime she fights a god it doesn't feel like a magical threat, but more like a cosmic one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I'm actually pretty interested. I like man-bat and detective chimp the best so far. I will admit I do forget that Diana's whole story exists in the magical universe, but evertime she fights a god it doesn't feel like a magical threat, but more like a cosmic one.
    Uhm Circe needs a serious word with you bro XD:

Last edited by Rightoya; 07-26-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Fantastic Member

This was definitely a solid first issue and I think it should put anyone's concerns about the team lineup to rest.

However, if I'm allowed to complain, I really don't like how Tynion writes two page spreads. It seems like they end up being a dialogue dump in a mess of panels and I find myself skimming through those pages just to get past them.

Also, Alan Moore comparisons or no, I'm not sold on the new Swamp Thing look yet. But I have huge huge love for the traditional look, so any change is bound to take adjustment for me. At least they didn't give him wings like in N52 :P

Still looking forward to the next issues as a title like this is something that DC has been in need of, and it seems like Tynion's passion project at the same time.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really liked it as a first issue. It set everyone up nicely and felt right for each character. I had serious reservations about Detective Chimp and Man-Bat, but they are perfect. I do look forward to different guest stars. (I do wish/hope Tynion brings back Black Orchid from the old run, not likely but I can dream.)
    Martinez was better here than in Detective imo. Definitely looking forward to the next issue.

Incredible Member

I haven't rad all 13 pages so I doubt I'll be saying anything new but I really enjoyed this title when I read it this morning. Zee and Constantine's dramais often entertaining to read about IMHO of course) and I like the use of all the magic characters (I have to admit I was susrprised, but pleasantly so, to see Zauriel sneak in the fact he knew so many characters did half make me wonder if his time amongst the League could have easily been re-instated).

I like Detective Chimp, I wasn't sure how he'd work as the new Nightmaster (Traci's teasing seemed to underline a hidden respect btw, but that could just be something I WANTED to read into it).

I often think of Diana as a magical creature (with her origin and my love of myth its hard not to) and its odd to think how long its taken to have her in a magic title. The attitude of the other magic users is unfortunate too and they did seem more snobbish then I had expected.

Man=Bat is actually the character that surprised me most in that Kirk was a lot more interesting then I expected him to be.

I look forward to the series continuing and I thought this was a solid first issue. That's just my opinion though!

Cheers.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I haven't rad all 13 pages . . .
    The issue has only 13 pages of story?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, Zatara's vague explanation, "There is one who may have the power to fight back but it is far more likely that they will hasten the end." struck me as odd since he goes from saying "one" to "them" and while a writer might want to obscure the gender of this person, Zatara has no reason to be vague to his daughter. What if this "one" really is a "them?" There are more than one candidates who might fit the bill:
    -- Rebis: highly unlikely since Larry Trainor is back as Negative Man.
    -- Negative Man: the current one is the Negative Being and Larry Trainor. Also unlikely - despite how weird their adventures are, NM and the Doom Patrol aren't really in the magic world
    -- Dr Fate: a combination of Nabu and whomever is wearing the helmet. Could be, but there's an image of Fate as presumably representing the "old guard" that will fall.
    -- The Demon: Jason Blood and Etrigan. Somewhat possible. If they're delving into "Cosmic Odyssey" in the other JL title, Etrigan was seen as a pivot in that story. And he certainly is a good candidate for hastening the end as likely as he might be to save everyone.

Anyone else....?
    The Spectre has always had a duality to him. Jim Corrigan always fought against being the Spectre but he was forced against his will oftentimes. He tried to build a regular life but the Spectre always got in the way.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The issue has only 13 pages of story?
    LOL no, the 13 pages of this thread. So I don't know if I could say anything that hasn't been covered already so didn't try

Incredible Member

Double post, my mistake!
    Last edited by James Hunter; 07-29-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: accidental double post

Still hate the line-up
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Still hate the line-up
    Why, everyone was great so far and it completely avoided one character just overshadowing the rest like Constantine in the former JLD run or even worse also have an useless and unfitting Batman in it like the animated movie?

Spectacular Member

This was a very solid issue. Great interaction between characters, solid story-telling, and the plot made me afraid for its characters. None of the characters felt forced or shoehorned in, and Constantine's appearance and dialogue were spot on, and just enough to leave me satisfied. Without spoiling anything, there is a brief cameo appearance from an important character from Garth Ennis's Hellblazer run that I loved seeing. Also, this really surprised me in that it feels like a spiritual follow-up to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run (American Gothic/Post-Crisis aftermath arc).

Looking forward to Dr Fate in the next issue

Source: http://www.impulsegamer.com/justice-league-dark-1/

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Still hate the line-up
    Yeah, i’d prefer dr. Fate, the demon and frankenstein over this bunch.