Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I would love it if Andrew Bennett pop up in this. He was my only favorite thing from the New52.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I would love it if Andrew Bennett pop up in this. He was my only favorite thing from the New52.
    Another good choice!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Until I found out that Dr Fate is not Kent but Khalid.

I'm out and it hasn't even started

Clark is Superman, Bruce is Batman, Tony is Ironman and Stephen is Dr Strange as Kent SHOULD be Dr Fate!

Not impressed Tynion!

Does Inza Nelson version of Fate exist in the DC today?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Does Inza Nelson version of Fate exist in the DC today?
    No mention yet... but Kent/Nabu got their butts kicked by Brimstone in the latest issue of Curse of Brimstone
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Issue 6 looks incredibly interesting.

I especially likes what happens on Earth, even if the mysteries of Myrra are also captivating.

Some comments on JLD #6. Nothing too spoilerish, I hope.

This was a solid mini-arc (two issues). We get down from the high of The Witching Hour with a short and not as high-stakes adventure, but Tynion knows his trade enough to fill in with character work. He isn't afraid of showing his heroes at their worst, but still manage to portray them sympathetically. Man-Bat didn't get much to do except trigger some "as you know Bat" from Zatanna, but it was handled well, and I think the next issue will focus more on him.

Constantine sure seems interested in mocking the enemy and participating in dangerous and desperate gambits, despite his bad and dangerous guy persona. And Doctor Fate sure had a trick up his sleeve; we'll see if the way he used the helmet comes back to bite him later on.

Tynion and King (see Heroes in Crisis #2) have really different takes on Diana's personality. The pep talk she gave to Bobo was deeply personal and showed that she is deeply in touch with her feelings. And we can probably add "trust" to the list of Diana's superpowers.

Art continued to be good to excellent. Only quibble I have is that the blood-lettering that John sent would require him to write backwards and upsidedown.

Only storytelling quibble I have is that Constantine sent off most of the team on a wild goose chase, and then they returned back to the bar, only for them to receive the messages from Constantine. It'd have been narratively cleaner to have them still in Myrra when they received those messages.
    Last edited by kjn; 12-13-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Some comments on JLD #6. Nothing too spoilerish, I hope.

This was a solid mini-arc (two issues). We get down from the high of The Witching Hour with a short and not as high-stakes adventure, but Tynion knows his trade enough to fill in with character work. He isn't afraid of showing his heroes at their worst, but still manage to portray them sympathetically. Man-Bat didn't get much to do except trigger some "as you know Bat" from Zatanna, but it was handled well, and I think the next issue will focus more on him.

Constantine sure seems interested in mocking the enemy and participating in dangerous and desperate gambits, despite his bad and dangerous guy persona. And Doctor Fate sure had a trick up his sleeve; we'll see if the way he used the helmet comes back to bite him later on.

Tynion and King (see Heroes in Crisis 3) have really different takes on Diana's personality. The pep talk she gave to Bobo was deeply personal and showed that she is deeply in touch with her feelings. And we can probably add "trust" to the list of Diana's superpowers.

Art continued to be good to excellent. Only quibble I have is that the blood-lettering that John sent would require him to write backwards and upsidedown.

Only storytelling quibble I have is that Constantine sent off most of the team on a wild goose chase, and then they returned back to the bar, only for them to receive the messages from Constantine. It'd have been narratively cleaner to have them still in Myrra when they received those messages.
    I can't argue with a single point you made. Solid book and I love Tynion's character development. His dialogue is great and you don't really notice that there isn't a ton of action. Great series.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...league-dark-6/

The thing I loved about issue 6 is that it reestablished that the Phantom Stranger has an unknown mysterious origin. Constantine states that the Stranger “has walked the earth since there’s been an earth.” Which contradicts his New 52 origin as Judas. I really disliked that direction for the Stranger. I think he works best when his origin is vague. I even prefer the Alan Moore story that had him as an angel who stayed neutral in Lucifer’s rebellion in heaven. When Lucifer was condemned to hell, the Phantom Stranger was sentenced to walk the earth for eternity.

To be honest, this is probably the best JLD has been, ever. I really liked volume 1, but it had some pretty rough patches.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The thing I loved about issue 6 is that it reestablished that the Phantom Stranger has an unknown mysterious origin. Constantine states that the Stranger “has walked the earth since there’s been an earth.” Which contradicts his New 52 origin as Judas. I really disliked that direction for the Stranger. I think he works best when his origin is vague. I even prefer the Alan Moore story that had him as an angel who stayed neutral in Lucifer’s rebellion in heaven. When Lucifer was condemned to hell, the Phantom Stranger was sentenced to walk the earth for eternity.
    He is best without a set origin. It's cool that he has so many different ones. Also I didn't mind that he was portrayed as Judas in the New 52 because he has several origin stories set during biblical times where he is someone who has betrayed Christ in some way and forced to wander for eternity.

My favorite is the time loop origin story

The third story done by Dan Mishkin is about a group of humans who are trying to keep their universe from being destroyed. The Phantom Stranger, as the Phantom Stranger, attempts to stop them from unknowingly destroying all of reality. As he succeeds, he touches one of the scientists who is plunged into space into a new universe and becomes that universe’s Phantom Stranger. This could mean that the Phantom Stranger is either a force that travels from universe to universe or that the Phantom Stranger is stuck in a time loop and must relive the same universe over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    He is best without a set origin. It's cool that he has so many different ones. Also I didn't mind that he was portrayed as Judas in the New 52 because he has several origin stories set during biblical times where he is someone who has betrayed Christ in some way and forced to wander for eternity.

My favorite is the time loop origin story
    That’s a really cool origin. But like you say, it’s best if he doesn’t have a set origin. Kinda like the Joker.

There’s always kind of a sadness to the Phantom Stranger. The Judas origin played into that but I prefer if he’s more than just 2000 years old. He should be a being that’s been around since the dawn of time.

Some twitterings from James Tynion IV:

But I CAN say that Justice League Dark #7 is one of my favorite things I've ever written, and @AMartinezBueno, @RaulFdezFonts, @bdanderson13 and #robleigh absolutely KILLED on it.
    Q: Who is your favorite character to write in JLD

A: Detective Chimp.
    I think you have done a great job writing manbat in jld. What inspires you to write the lesser known characters ?

A: I was going to write a glib answer to this, but it deserves a real one. Part of the joy of writing a comic character is connecting a reader to the stories I cared about when I was just a fan, and another part is making a reader see a character in a new way.

A lesser known character has more to unwrap than one that's been done a thousand times, while also having a smaller pool of reference that I'm pointing the reader towards. It gives me more flexibility as a writer and is a more potent totem of the stories I want to evoke.
    Q: Can we expect Madame Xanadu to pop up in JLD? I miss her

A: I've got some plans for her (She made a great appearance in Hawkman recently)

JLD #7 was interesting. It called back to the anthology format that was (is?) so common in horror, with the monstrous narrator (here Man-Bat) telling short stories or short vignettes. In a way, it was a filler issue that didn't really bring the main plot forward, but it was three well-crafted self-contained little horror stories, and a fourth one that didn't necessarily end but placed a Chekov's gun on the mantlepiece. It also added some new background of the relation of the Otherkind to our world and to stories. We got some new insights into Man-Bat, but at the same time he seems to be developing into the outsider of the team, even before the big reveal at the end.

The issue is quite standalone and enjoyable on its own.

James Tynion on Twitter:

This is an issue I've wanted to do since I first had the concept of the series. DC Horror started in the anthology format, with books led by horror hosts. I've always adored those stories, and getting to

The goal was to take the horror anthology format, and put the classic horror monsters (Demons, Vampires, Werewolves, Warlocks) in the victim role, as a brand NEW shape of horror unleashes itself on the DC universe.
    He also shared some of Alvaro's Otherkind designs:

DxDmMh9W0AAt9t5.jpg-large.jpg

There is also some line art to be found.