Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    To anyone keeping up more readily with the book than I am.

Does Dr. Fate/Khalid have a role in Dark beyond the 2nd issue where he was just a shock-value hostage for a page?
    From the Twitter Q&A:

bobbytries: Do you have any more plans for Khalid Nassour?

Tynion: Yes. I also have long term plans for Kent Nelson.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    From the Twitter Q&A:
    Interesting. Nice to know he still has plans for Khalid. While the possible implication for "long-term" could be mean anything right now, I admit that I wish/hope he has long-term plans for Khalid, too.

I'm curious to see who will be Fate by the time the JSA comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious to see who will be Fate by the time the JSA comes back.
    Can't we just have the old gang back together for awhile

instead of...

I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Can't we just have the old gang back together for awhile

instead of...

(Thumbs Up) .

I do hope it's Kent Nelson.

Nothing against Inza, Eric, Linda, Hector or Khalid... Or what's his name, tattooed Zero Hour Fate...
    But I feel the same about Dr. Fate that I do about Dr. Strange.
    If it's not Kent, it's not Dr. Fate to me.

I did like Eric and Linda as Fate, but I read them as 'Eric and Linda trying to be Dr. Fate".
    Which is fine and all, but they weren't capable of taking the wheel and really exploring DC's magical dimensions the way Kent could've.
    Because Kent has the experience and the knowledge necessary to get the job done.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.

I do hope it's Kent Nelson.

Nothing against Inza, Eric, Linda or Khalid... Or what's his name, tattooed Zero Hour Fate...
    But I feel the same about Dr. Fate that I do about Dr. Strange.
    If it's not Kent, it's not Dr. Fate to me.

I did like Eric and Linda as Fate, but I read them as 'Eric and Linda trying to be Dr. Fate".
    Which is fine and all, but they weren't capable of taking the wheel and really exploring DC's magical dimensions the way Kent could've.
    Because Kent has the experience and the knowledge necessary to get the job done.
    I agree and it is so frustrating!
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

I also think refer Dr. Fate to be Kent Nelson. I like Khalid and I’m glad they’re using him again but I think he should be Dr. Fate’s apprentice. He could be Fate’s representation on the Titans or in Young Justice.

Considering what a nonentity Dr. Fate has been I wouldn’t at all mind Khalid taking on the role. Nabu is the only manadatory component of the Dr. Fate relationship imo. Young Justice has Zatarra as Dr. Fate and that works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Considering what a nonentity Dr. Fate has been I wouldn’t at all mind Khalid taking on the role. Nabu is the only manadatory component of the Dr. Fate relationship imo. Young Justice has Zatarra as Dr. Fate and that works fine.
    I think Zatarra as Fate works in Young Justice since it relates to Zatanna who's a more major character on that show.

It's true that you can probably have Nabu possess practically anybody but I do think depending on who it is you can get an entirely different dynamic. Kent and Hector were probably the most similar though, maybe deliberately so.

Another important thing about having a new person as Dr. Fate is they the main reason DC would do it is because it's an easy way to dumb down the power levels.

But a new character would need training and would end up on a virtual tour of DC's magical landscape.
    The problem with this is that DC wouldn't want to 'waste' a good Batman or Superman writer on a Dr. Fate comic, and anyone they would put on Dr. Fate wouldn't be given enough power with laying down the rules of DC's magic side.

Which means any Dr. Fate comic we would get would most likely spin its wheels and go nowhere and then be forgotten as soon as it was cancelled.
    Unless Bruce Wayne becomes Dr. Fate.

Another important thing about having a new person as Dr. Fate is they the main reason DC would do it is because it's an easy way to dumb down the power levels.

But a new character would need training and would end up on a virtual tour of DC's magical landscape.
    The problem with this is that DC wouldn't want to 'waste' a good Batman or Superman writer on a Dr. Fate comic, and anyone they would put on Dr. Fate wouldn't be given enough power with laying down the rules of DC's magic side.

Which means any Dr. Fate comic we would get would most likely spin its wheels and go nowhere and then be forgotten as soon as it was cancelled.
    Writing Fate on a team book is always an issue.

I remember reading Johns' JSA with Hector and it seemed like he was always either out-of-commission or dealing with some Nabu nonsense that prevented him from actually doing anything on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Writing Fate on a team book is always an issue.

I remember reading Johns' JSA with Hector and it seemed like he was always either out-of-commission or dealing with some Nabu nonsense that prevented him from actually doing anything on the team.
    And strangely... Gardner Fox never seemed to have a problem with him.

I really don’t want to see Dr. Fate dumbed down yet again. Since the 90s it’s seemed like the person under the helmet of Fate has always been a novice. I missed him being the badass mage. We finally got a powerful Dr. Fate back and I guess all they could think to do with him is make him a villain. I haven’t ever read any Dr. Strange comics. How does Marvel handle him?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really don’t want to see Dr. Fate dumbed down yet again. Since the 90s it’s seemed like the person under the helmet of Fate has always been a novice. I missed him being the badass mage. We finally got a powerful Dr. Fate back and I guess all they could think to do with him is make him a villain. I haven’t ever read any Dr. Strange comics. How does Marvel handle him?
    Pretty much the same, but without the replacements. Ever since he returned from limbo after his '80s/90s series ended, he's gone from one de-powering to the next.
    Roger Stern handled his powers admirably and pretty much left a blueprint behind, and Roy Thomas did a great job, too.
    But after they left, it seemed like no one ever read what work they put into the mythos to make it work so well.

Just like at DC, new writers come aboard and can't be bothered to find out what came before. They just take a crib note or a hot sheet 'who's who' page and go from there.

One thing that's impressed me with Tynion is he's actually read Shadowpact, the Moore Swamp Thing and some of the older works. So, he at least cares about the characters enough to make them feel authentic.