Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it works better then her original New 52 look did but I don't see it replacing her classic design.
    It won't and at some point it should return.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    You are talking about "Justice League Dark" like it is "Justice League International" or something. And no, JUSTICE LEAGUE is the brand and the selling point, not whatever adjective comes after it in the title.
    JLD and JLI are both brands...

So you might as well use an adjective to put behind "Justice League" that makes sense and fits the members who are on that particular team. That's all I was saying. What's so hard to understand and so contentious about that...?
    I don't understand how WW doesn't fit with the "Dark" name. Has "Dark" ever been indicative of what they've done, or something?
    Last edited by Caivu; 03-26-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Let's be honest here, Justice League Dark is only Dark when it have Constantine. He is the one who make deals with demons, bind demons inside his friends, mutilate angels and mess with the hell lords. Zatanna is a magician but she isn't dark, the only character on the line up that fits the "Dark", imo, is Swamp Thing and maybe, just maybe Man-Bat.

The moment that John Constantine show up and start doing his thing, we can call it Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Let's be honest here, Justice League Dark is only Dark when it have Constantine. He is the one who make deals with demons, bind demons inside his friends, mutilate angels and mess with the hell lords. Zatanna is a magician but she isn't dark, the only character on the line up that fits the "Dark", imo, is Swamp Thing and maybe, just maybe Man-Bat.

The moment that John Constantine show up and start doing his thing, we can call it Dark.
    Thank you. Finally, somebody who GETS it.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Get what exactly?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

It's called 'Justice League Dark' because of the 2011 New52 series and the animated movie, both of which featured similar characters and served the same purpose.

The 'Dark' isn't exactly a descriptor of the team or characters, but rather of the types of threats they deal with, which are typically of a dark supernatural nature. And to deal with such problems, the team needs to be magically or supernaturally inclined.

Initially, 'Justice League Dark' got its name from DC's rebranding of different segments of their publishing line with New52: Dark, Edge, Young Justice, Justice League, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern.
    The 'Dark' title associated that team with characters that were featured in the Dark sub-line of comics, which were mostly supernatural or previously Vertigo characters.
    After time, DC dropped the sub-line labels.

Meanwhile, the name 'Justice League Dark' had acquired a bit of history through its publishing and the movie.

Some people even consider the Justice League Dark history to encompass the Sentinels of Magic and Shadowpact, as the teams had several of the same members and served the same purpose. Some even consider the groupings in the Alan Moore Swamp Thing and Doug Moench Spectre series as precursors to JLD, as the team is much like Marvel's Defenders in that they've all joined forces a few times before an official name had been given them.
    I remember seeing a retailer advertising Swamp Thing #50 as the first appearance of JLDark, although it was from the '80s, simply because it featured many of the same characters coming together for the first time to battle a dark supernatural foe. And in spirit, I really believe it is their first appearance, even if it isn't technically.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Edit: ninja'd
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The 'Dark' isn't exactly a descriptor of the team or characters, but rather of the types of threats they deal with, which are typically of a dark supernatural nature. And to deal with such problems, the team needs to be magically or supernaturally inclined.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

To be even more honest, I don't want to see Constantine being bossed around by Wonder Woman, or anybody. He is the type of character that works better on his own, he can show up from time to time as an ally and/or antagonist, but having him on a team book really tone down the character, even on his solo comic he is tone down.

The best thing that could happen to Constantine is if he gets absolved by the Sandman Universe line.

I don't know if I gonna check JLD, it will depend on who else will apear on the book.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Zatanna has dabbled or faced the dark side of Magic many times. Man-Bat seems like a wasted slot to me but Detective Chimp was on Shadowpact so he also faced magic countless of times. Honestly I couldn't care about Constantine. What exactly does he bring to the magic side of DC that isn't already there , if he's missing?

To be even more honest, I don't want to see Constantine being bossed around by Wonder Woman, or anybody. He is the type of character that works better on his own, he can show up from time to time as an ally and/or antagonist, but having him on a team book really tone down the character, even on his solo comic he is tone down.

The best thing that could happen to Constantine is if he gets absolved by the Sandman Universe line.

I don't know if I gonna check JLD, it will depend on who else will apear on the book.
    Well, I personally was somewhat disappointed with the original JLDark (the New52 one, not the incarnations as presented in Swamp Thing and Spectre), simply because they were filtered through a superhero lens and affiliated with the League.
    But, apparently it sells better for them to be associated with superheroes, and the League in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Zatanna has dabbled or faced the dark side of Magic many times. Man-Bat seems like a wasted slot to me but Detective Chimp was on Shadowpact so he also faced magic countless of times. Honestly I couldn't care about Constantine. What exactly does he bring to the magic side of DC that isn't already there , if he's missing?
    The real dark stuff? What is darker, fighting a demon or making a pact with it? And Constantine usually brings something up that most of DC magic character don't, and is the notion that dealing with those kind of powers have consequences, psychologically and physically. While Constantine usually come out unharmed from his dealing with the occult, he lost several friends and lovers, saw innocents getting harmed, sometimes the reason why he come out unharmed is because he sacrificed some of the to get himself out.

But as I said above, I don't want Constantine as a team member, he would be to tone down to fit it. Does anyone really want to see him jumping to every WW order? Is already bad enough that he is sugarcoated on his solo, I can only imagine how bad it would be on a team book.

The real dark stuff? What is darker, fighting a demon or making a pact with it? And Constantine usually brings something up that most of DC magic character don't, and is the notion that dealing with those kind of powers have consequences, psychologically and physically. While Constantine usually come out unharmed from his dealing with the occult, he lost several friends and lovers, saw innocents getting harmed, sometimes the reason why he come out unharmed is because he sacrificed some of the to get himself out.

But as I said above, I don't want Constantine as a team member, he would be to tone down to fit it. Does anyone really want to see him jumping to every WW order? Is already bad enough that he is sugarcoated on his solo, I can only imagine how bad it would be on a team book.
    Who said that if he were a member that he would jump at every order?
    Some of the best team dynamics have been because a leader and a member don't see eye to eye but agree that a threat is a threat.

I don't see Constantine washing the League's windows or anything like that, but if Wonder Woman said Felix Faust needed to be dealt with he'd likely assist, but as long he's calling his own shots.
    And Wonder Woman, in my opinion, is probably the most diplomatic member of the League and would probably take the time to learn how Constantine ticks, and appeal to the side of him that would feel driven to assist, regardless of what he thought about superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Who said that if he were a member that he would jump at every order?
    Some of the best team dynamics have been because a leader and a member don't see eye to eye but agree that a threat is a threat.

I don't see Constantine washing the League's windows or anything like that, but if Wonder Woman said Felix Faust needed to be dealt with he'd likely assist, but as long he's calling his own shots.
    And Wonder Woman, in my opinion, is probably the most diplomatic member of the League and would probably take the time to learn how Constantine ticks, and appeal to the side of him that would feel driven to assist, regardless of what he thought about superheroes.
    But I don't think he works as a team member, he is capable of team work, but be in a team is different. He is the type of character who always have his own angles, but unlike Batman, his plans don't always have the greater good as a motivation, and most of the time isn't what someone would consider ethical or good. That is why I think he should be a best a recuring guest star, who appears from time form time, to help or sometimes difficult the JLD work.

But I don't think he works as a team member, he is capable of team work, but be in a team is different. He is the type of character who always have his own angles, but unlike Batman, his plans don't always have the greater good as a motivation, and most of the time isn't what someone would consider ethical or good. That is why I think he should be a best a recuring guest star, who appears from time form time, to help or sometimes difficult the JLD work.
    That may be how he'll be used.
    The cast of the book may not exactly be the same as the cast of the team.

And you can't be facing mystical threats in the DC Universe without running into certain people eventually. Otherwise, it just wouldn't feel right.

Which is why I'm hoping Dr. Fate will be at least making an appearance.