Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    omg who cares lmao
    Well, it appears some people do care about how DC has "handled" a classic, best-selling Golden Age character.

I always call him Captain Marvel, I really wish that the whole name thing never happened. Just call him Captain something, Shazam just sounds lame and changing the mythology of saying the word is just dumb.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    omg who cares lmao
    I think im in the `who cares` group as well. I still love the character, no matter what he's called. Just give me good material. I thought we left this outrage back in 2011-2012. But here we are. Folks need to leave this alone. It's over. What's done is done.

They show have changed it to Captain Marvelous. But yeah I agree. He's captain Marvel to me. I've started saying "His name is Captain Marvel and he wants you to accept his life choices.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I will never call Captain Marvel "SHAZAM"
    Wow, you're such a rebel...
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I don't really care. I know people who actually thought his name always was Shazam. I did once upon a time too. Point being its still a word/title/name highly incorporated with his character, so its not to me that jarring a change.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Eh, if DC and Marvel can both have characters named Miss America, Drax, Atom Smasher, Dr. Doom, Scarecrow, Changeling, Magneto, Bumblebee, Malice, Static, Sandman, Yellowjacket, etc. and the world hasn't exploded in a matter/anti-matter explosion, I don't see why they can't both have a Captain Marvel...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, it appears some people do care about how DC has "handled" a classic, best-selling Golden Age character.
    It just feels like OP is looking for attention over something that's really not a big deal at all, like yeah it's too bad he can't be called Captain Marvel but the "Shazam" brand name was asserting itself decades ago and the outrage over the name change came and went years and years ago. This thread accomplishes nothing and instead of what could be an intelligent discussion on a beloved character it's just rehashing old stuff

Good for you if you don't call him Shazam OP it's really not worth announcing

I can live with Shazam
    As long as Fred and Judy and Tiny Tim live up to there real natures in the film

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Movie cereal? How did it taste? Was it artificially sugar-coated / pre-sweetened?

Me, I prefer more natural movie serials, but to each their own . . .
    Arrgh! Stupid talk text. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    And don't forget the movies than are coming. Even casual moviegoers will thinkof Captain Marvel as a "she".
    A "she"? I doubt that very seriously. Most casual fans are more familiar with the Billy Batson/Original Captain Marvel character. Most casual fans don't even know that thete is another and those that do just assume that it must also be a man.

BANNED

I'm glad you shared this with us.

This falls in with the whole “superman’s Trunks” issue, where I don’t really understand the big deal behind it

Quote Originally Posted by khairston99 View Post
    This falls in with the whole “superman’s Trunks” issue, where I don’t really understand the big deal behind it
    Nostalgia, basically

Quote Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
    A "she"? I doubt that very seriously. Most casual fans are more familiar with the Billy Batson/Original Captain Marvel character. Most casual fans don't even know that thete is another and those that do just assume that it must also be a man.
    They will seea movie with a woman calling herself Captain Marvel (from "Marvel", logically) and a movie of DC with a character calling himself Shazam. The paradigm will change.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Eh, if DC and Marvel can both have characters named Miss America, Drax, Atom Smasher, Dr. Doom, Scarecrow, Changeling, Magneto, Bumblebee, Malice, Static, Sandman, Yellowjacket, etc. and the world hasn't exploded in a matter/anti-matter explosion, I don't see why they can't both have a Captain Marvel...
    They don't use them at the same time though. For instance, when was the last time DC's Ms America was even mentioned?