Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

last movie I saw that a music video director did was All eyez on me and Tupac deserved so much better. Made me angry

NOW as far as gangster film's go I see no problems with them and quite enjoy them when they are good. Menace II Society is one of my favorite films. Criminals of any kind aren't stereotypes or offensive they are a fact of life. It's offensive when you have a bunch of good white people running around and then a random Huggy bear character. The fact is there is a Genre of music im sure a lot of us listen too that is all about this life style anyway. I mean a member of of Outcast(One of the best to ever do it) was in the trailer. Now if you have a problem with rap then we are probably never gonna see eye to eye anyway on the subject.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-25-2018 at 06:17 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    last movie I saw that a music video director did was All eyez on me and Tupac deserved so much better. Made me angry
    I get a sense that Benny Boom was a yes man type director, keep in mind 2pac's biopic was in development hell with excellent directors attached until they got ranned off. And the only reason it got out of development hell was because of the NWA movie..

I like hip-hop, i'm just not a fan of Trap music. I understand them having to update the soundtrack though. I'm keeping a open mind about the film, i'm just aware of the criticism.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 03-25-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I like hip-hop, i'm just not a fan of Trap music. I understand them having to update the soundtrack though. I'm keeping a open mind about the film, i'm just aware of the criticism.
    I hate trap music and Most young artists. I feel old cause in don't get trap or mumble rap and hate them with a passion.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Even back in the day these films had critics, there's noway a modern retelling of those films could get away with no blow back. I think the culture is changing as far as black films go. On the other hand black people are not monolithic and tend to disagree A LOT on what makes a great black film
    True. I guess my point is that I'm not shocked that it got greenlit. It looks like any number of movies and music videos that have been out for the last 20yrs.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    The original was boring predictable and cheaply made. There's no saving the Blaxploitation era. The fact that the majority of movie goers would go see this and not even know who director x is or care is what's really going on here. The fact that you do and don't see either version as popcorn fodder surprises me. You want to see reverse role Blaxploitation at it's worse check out Equaliser with Fuqua and Denzil. Boring and Predictable doesn't even begin to describe that one.
    Not sure what this is supposed to mean...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Not sure what this is supposed to mean...
    You are aware that the original role was a white British dude on TV. There was no problem with Fuqua and Denzil redoing it that way but they made a movie that was boring and formulaic. Usually I like those two working together. It comes closest to anything I've seen that resembles the Blax era.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    You are aware that the original role was a white British dude on TV. There was no problem with Fuqua and Denzil redoing it that way but they made a movie that was boring and formulaic. Usually I like those two working together. It comes closest to anything I've seen that resembles the Blax era.
    I was aware that the TV series starred a white man and I did see the remake. Denzel's version wasn't anything like a blaxploitation film, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I was aware that the TV series starred a white man and I did see the remake. Denzel's version wasn't anything like a blaxploitation film, though.
    Just a bigger budget with a name star separates the two but without a classic soundtrack. I was disappointed to say the least regardless. In fact it was too derivative of a dozen different sources.