Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Solo: A Star Wars Story

Theforce.net has been showing a few photos of the film's merchandise, confirming that the art that's been leaked recently is the real deal, and also the name of some of the characters-in particular, the name of Emilia Clarke's character, Qi'Ra, which sounds a lot like Kira, the original name for Rey in some concept art.

Also at least three possible locations are noted-Two are sort of obvious settings-Corellia-Han's home planet; Kessell (Which means we might see the Kessel Run) and interestingly Mimban, the setting of the 1978 "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" novel, and like a lot of planets, still part of the new canon due to a reference in "Clone Wars", and reportedly considered for a setting for "Rogue One". Also seen is a Range Trooper, which looks like a cold-weather variation of Rogue One's trooper designs.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

I'm totally down for more Stormtrooper variants. It's a galactic organization on who knows what planet, sign me up for variants so long as it isn't a color swap. I also don't know what it is but in what may be a BTS photo there is what looks like a trooper on a speeder that looks like a tractor. I don't know what it is about that but I'm all for space tractor. Yeah it's probably a speeder, but I love the designs from what I'm seeing so far based on that and the lego sets.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I am REALLY nervous about this movie because of the director changing, reshoots, and little information coming out about it. I just found out this movie is coming out in May instead of December and we still haven't even gotten a teaser trailer for it. Also, there are report that Disney knows and expects this movie to bomb which is why there has been silence on their part. I hope I am wrong and I still will go see this regardless, but as Han Solo would say " I have a bad feeling about this".

rumors of a teaser trailer on Friday?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I am REALLY nervous about this movie because of the director changing, reshoots, and little information coming out about it. I just found out this movie is coming out in May instead of December and we still haven't even gotten a teaser trailer for it. Also, there are report that Disney knows and expects this movie to bomb which is why there has been silence on their part. I hope I am wrong and I still will go see this regardless, but as Han Solo would say " I have a bad feeling about this".
    The movie releasing in May could be fine simply due to the movie either having been finished, or largely complete enough for May to be viable. They're also coming off of a prior release and that might cause fatigue or simply take focus away from a product should they advertise now (probably expect it come February). The Last Jedi was last month, and the film is still in theaters which could detract from last minute ticket sales. Releasing in May is a little weird, but if it's a lack of faith that's a concern then the Summer movie schedule should be good damage control.

The products for the film also got leaked recently so it's starting to come down the pipeline, and if it's like Episode 8's launch then retail advertising should begin somewhere around February or March.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I agree about being nervous with this one. I almost feel like it's too soon for a Han Solo movie. For a lot of people Harrison Ford's take on the character is always going to be the standard, and anyone that doesn't play Han to that standard is potentially going to be villified. I don't know, maybe it'll be great, but I'm feeling a lot of trepidation as well.

Han Solo was not a film i was asking for. But when Lord and Miller were there i was excited. I love both of their Jump Street as well as Lego Movie. Their departure did dampen my interest. It feels like a missed opportunity to me. Just like Edgar Wright's Ant Man. While the final film was enjoyable and i loved it, Edgar Wright's film could have been something special. Hopefully they make a good film. After loving all the recent Star Wars films my interest in the franchise has increased many fold. Director's departure and a new Han Solo are two question marks.

Its trailer would be quite important. I sense a feeling of trepidation in everyone. And a bad trailer could potentially be really negative for it. A good trailer could change the conversation in another direction.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-12-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Apparently some have said recently that the film won't undue Han's character arc in the trilogy-which worries some-but offer a partial explanation as to why he's so cynical when we meet him in the cantina.

Remember there was also a Young Indiana Jones series as well, and that's a role that's even more associated with Ford I think. Although with Indy, it's a bit more fair as both "Raiders" and "Last Crusade" sort of gave a lot of ground for exploring the backstory, although they only really got to the father part (A future season would've dealt with his relationship with the Ravenwoods), whereas all we really know about Han's past is that he was buddies with Lando and worked for Jabba-although Han's backstory IS explored in George Lucas's story notes, that had Han be an Imperial dropout and was Corellian, something that was heavily used in the EU-including AC Crispin's Han novels-and might be used in this film.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I agree about being nervous with this one. I almost feel like it's too soon for a Han Solo movie. For a lot of people Harrison Ford's take on the character is always going to be the standard, and anyone that doesn't play Han to that standard is potentially going to be villified. I don't know, maybe it'll be great, but I'm feeling a lot of trepidation as well.
    Yea even CBR has posted a article today saying that we should be worried about this film. I was hoping Disney would drop a trailer during Super Bowl this weekend, but word is that is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Han Solo was not a film i was asking for. But when Lord and Miller were there i was excited. I love both of their Jump Street as well as Lego Movie. Their departure did dampen my interest. It feels like a missed opportunity to me. Just like Edgar Wright's Ant Man. While the final film was enjoyable and i loved it, Edgar Wright's film could have been something special. Hopefully they make a good film. After loving all the recent Star Wars films my interest in the franchise has increased many fold. Director's departure and a new Han Solo are two question marks.

Its trailer would be quite important. I sense a feeling of trepidation in everyone. And a bad trailer could potentially be really negative for it. A good trailer could change the conversation in another direction.
    They need to start marketing this thing. The ant man sequel isn't coming out until July and that movie just dropped a trailer, this is coming out in May and we still have got nothing. The teaser trailer for Force Awakens came out in like April or May 2015 like 8 or 9 months before the movie hit theaters.

iMan 42s

They need to start marketing this thing. The ant man sequel isn't coming out until July and that movie just dropped a trailer, this is coming out in May and we still have got nothing. The teaser trailer for Force Awakens came out in like April or May 2015 like 8 or 9 months before the movie hit theaters.
    As of this writing we are 3 months and 24 days from the release of Han Solo. Short time to release a trailer but I'm going to put my conspiracy theory hat on for a minute.

We know that the studio wasn't happy with the film leading to a new director. Merchandise is also locked in a year before release and we have no idea what Lord and Miller did prior which may affect the marketing lifespan of the property. As for a conspiracy; perhaps the studio are still trying to fix things be it from a marketing angle or in the film which could lead to a delay. Merchandise has already been leaked but that's also in the pipeline a year out so something would get released somehow. Worst case scenario they push the film back in order to accommodate the fix, but they might overshoot the Summer movie schedule. Worse yet the film might be in such a condition along with the locked in release date that the film simply can't be moved. Lord and Miller might have screwed the pooch in such a way that they have to release it due to the investments. I could imagine the moment Lucasfilm broke even they would pull it from theaters if it's in a bad enough state.

Another possible explanation is that it may also not be a film one can easily market making it not as viable for a December release, or to market to kids.

I saw a bunch of industry mags today say that the trailer is dropping during the Super Bowl and that was the plan since the beginning.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

All films don't need a trailer 8 or 9 months ago. If we go to other extreme i think John Wick's came out only a month before its release. But that's not the way of doing things for big films like Han Solo. And Ant Man's trailer is kind of a waste. In the coming months people will talk about Black Panther and then Infinity War. And Ant Man will soon be forgotten with conversation on the other films.

Yet with passing of time it is becoming too close. If another month passes and we see no trailer then they are postponing it to December. That's not how films like Solo are released. My guess is these reports which suggest Super Bowl is true. Their plan was to start big. And Superbowl is big. And after that push heavily in the last couple of months. Solo is not a long awaited film like Episode 8. A push at the right time could be more effective then spreading it over a period of time as others usually do. That is a possible plan.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-01-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    All films don't need a trailer 8 or 9 months ago. If we go to other extreme i think John Wick's came out only a month before its release. But that's not the way of doing things for big films like Han Solo. And Ant Man's trailer is kind of a waste. In the coming months people will talk about Black Panther and then Infinity War. And Ant Man will soon be forgotten with conversation on the other films.
    I don't know about that; I'm more psyched for Ant Man 2 than I am for Black Panther.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't know about that; I'm more psyched for Ant Man 2 than I am for Black Panther.
    I am not speaking about personal tastes. But the big picture. The online conversation will be on Black Panther and later Infinity War. And buzz will shift to these two films. Its not wrong. They put it to show that Ant Man is coming. But most people would be excited with the other two then Ant Man. Black Panther is going to be big. IW is Avengers. So if their aim was to get people talking, which usually is one of the goals of marketing it won't work as well as it should. But just to inform everybody: "Hey look Ant Man is coming!". Its a good choice. Black Panther and IW are going to be big. People's conversation will shift to these two.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-02-2018 at 12:17 AM.